Shed upgrade started

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
3 of 4 walls complete, 4th (the longest and hardest to get to) at about 50%. Felt up on the three completed walls. Made a nifty little support to hold the felt up while nailing it on so I don't tear it. Since the roof isn't on yet and I can hang it over the top plate, it works GREAT! Necessity dictates ingenuity and improvisation. The missus doesn't climb, so I had to come up with a way to hold the rolled up cut piece near level, tweak the position of the sheet, hold a nail, drive the nail, hang on to the ladder, etc, etc, etc. When doing carpentry, it would be handy to have 8 arms like an octopus. Lost my part-time volunteer help (son-in-law) for half the weekend, and besides that, every time I've planned to put this roofing on, it has RAINED. Now I have beautiful weather, and no help to set the roof panels. Still need to put up the facia before I start the roof. Using PVC trim board for that so I NEVER have to paint that facia. Still undecided how to finish out the soffits because of slamming into the endstops with the budget. They can wait. Will just have put some screen in and keep a can of wasp spray handy.

Because of my bonehead mistake cutting a panel to fit around the east window, as well as my original screwup with the stud spacing on the east wall which required ripping two sheets to match the spacing, I'm now one sheet short of having enough plywood to cover the back wall. Of course, my calculations were for a perfect world, and I threw in what was supposed to be two extra sheets. If ya screw up the framing and cut one sheet wrong, so much for the extra two sheets. Gonna put inside sheathing on the workshop end, so have no problem playing Tetris with some of the scraps to finish closing up the back wall. I'll have to cover that up quick, though, because it'll irritate me as long as I can see it. Expensive screwup in the process ($50/sheet for plywood).

Budget is blown because of lumber prices, so now just in damage control mode. I still won't go cheap, but will definitely be more diligent about verifying what I'm doing before I cut anything. Going pretty fast with just me and the missus, so no reason to keep beating on it.

Inspector came by and approved Rough Electrical and Framing yesterday. Once I get the roof on, I think they'll sign off final. Guess I misunderstood what the first inspector told me. They're not real picky about unattached storage (detached garage) buildings here until you add electricity, water, and sewer. The inspector was in fact very pleased with the work. I only have electricity with a capped off provision for a future water supply, no sewer at all, so that simplifies the inspection process considerably.

The inspector didn't notice it, but I found yesterday while sheathing the back wall that there's still a little give in the back wall (which of course pushes on the front wall because of the trusses). Looks like a couple more triangles needed to resolve that. Can't think of a better use for the 14 foot 2x4's that I dirtied up with the slab form. Otherwise, since putting on the sheathing, it's solid as a rock. I think I'll tackle that little mod today if me and the missus finish covering the back wall. The concrete and wet weather have the 2x4's so twisted up, they're not much use for anything else but bracing now anyway.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's good to hear that even with the slight hiccups, your are moving along quite nicely. (y)

I completely understand the "she ain't climbing". ;)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
It's good to hear that even with the slight hiccups, your are moving along quite nicely. (y)

I completely understand the "she ain't climbing". ;)
Had to go for an MRI, nerve conduction test, and EMG today. Neck problems suspected to be part of the reason why the pain won’t go away in my left shoulder and carpal tunnel issues causing pain in both hands. MRI was done and over in about 30 minutes, but then the real torture started. I got tasered about 30 times on each arm from the elbows down, then turned into a pin cushion for inserting electrodes to detect nerve signals to my arms and hands. Roughly 15 pokes in each arm from the shoulder down, and then asked to flex the muscles that needle was stuck in. Rough way to start the day.

However, the windows are installed, as well as the walk-in door. Had to make two trips for the windows because one was broken when I unwrapped it. Only took about 10 minutes to install each window.

Hopefully, only 2 more major expenditures left for materials. Will likely order the roll up doors this weekend and perhaps the siding too. That should finish the outside materials. When I can close it up and lock it, I’ll empty the contents of the old shed and start the demolition. Gonna reuse the materials as much as possible to modify the new shed. Picked up a butt-load of discarded pallets today to use for lining the inside. My stepson gave us all the pallets we could load on the trailer, and saidwe could have any they don’t want or need to send back to the furniture manufacturers. I’ll get a low-end planer to straighten the edges and buy insulation as I have time to cover the walls.

Its a big shop now that the walls are covered.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Finished off the felt and trimmed the purlins on the east end and hung the faux rafter. Good fit, but the finish (trim) boards gotta fit a lot better. Weather is apparently going to be a factor for the next several days, so buttoned up a little earlier than usual and stretched the tarps back into place. Covered the big door openings with tarps that we normally covered the lumber with as well to see if it slows down the flooding a little. Nothing but black and blue showing now.
Got a batch of beer to bottle, so gonna step back a couple days to let the missus rest before she goes on strike and leaves me out there by myself. Working through a lotta pain, too, so need a few days to heal up some.
This may be my last construction hurrah. I ain’t as young as I used to be.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Finished off the felt and trimmed the purlins on the east end and hung the faux rafter. Good fit, but the finish (trim) boards gotta fit a lot better. Weather is apparently going to be a factor for the next several days, so buttoned up a little earlier than usual and stretched the tarps back into place. Covered the big door openings with tarps that we normally covered the lumber with as well to see if it slows down the flooding a little. Nothing but black and blue showing now.
Got a batch of beer to bottle, so gonna step back a couple days to let the missus rest before she goes on strike and leaves me out there by myself. Working through a lotta pain, too, so need a few days to heal up some.
This may be my last construction hurrah. I ain’t as young as I used to be.
What?!? No recent photos??? :oops: 😄

Edit: as a former homebrewer that still has his brewery in the basement, waiting to be resurrected, I feel for ya' :)

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
What?!? No recent photos??? :oops: 😄

Edit: as a former homebrewer that still has his brewery in the basement, waiting to be resurrected, I feel for ya' :)
It's been dark nearly every time we knocked off last week, or rainin' like a cow peein' on a flat rock for the last two days. I think we've had about 5 inches of rain in the last two days. I've decided to recycle old pallet boards for siding inside the building. The step-son and daughter-in-law work at a furniture store and told me I could have all their empty pallets. It'll take a while, but I'm not too concerned with the inside. So, today I disassembled two more 4 foot pallets that I got from them. I think the bucket of used nails weighed more than the lumber recovered. Apparently, these were not new pallets, either. Looks like a log of the wood had cut off nailes in it. That's OK, though, it'll just lend a little more character.

I was in the shed with nothing but the tarp over it while it rained yesterday. HOLY SMOKES it was loud in there. I've got a little boom-box I keep out there to listen to my classic rock while I'm working. I had the volume at max and still couldn't hear it. Being out there in a heavy rain let me see the quality of my sheathing and felt work, and showed me EXACTLY why the walk-in door has to be caulked. Had a bit of water come in around the brick moulding and run down the door, but otherwise, with tarps partially covering the roll-up door openings, the building was water tight. Took the door out today and used nearly a full tube of silicone caulk on it. Ran a bead on the inside of the brick moulding, and then, just for grins and giggles, ran a bead all the way around the casing/moulding after I reinstalled the door and re-shimmed it. I'll probably use some foam sealer to fill the rest of the space around the casing as well as the cavities around all the gussets on my trusses.

Will likely put the faux rafter on the west end tomorrow and maybe the trim boards, and then, hopefully, the drip guard on the north and south eaves. All that remains then is putting the roofing panels, ridge cap, and then, assuming my wrists still function, bottle the Rapier Wit that's been patiently waiting for me to bottle it. 4 weeks of ferment time should be enough on a Belgian wheat ale. I may go into town tomorrow and get another recipe to brew as well. Juggling the shed and the brewing ain't easy. Both want a big chunk of the day.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
What is your plan for deconstruction of the pallets?
Old fashioned elbow grease. I want them nail free because I'm probably going to use a planer to straighten the edges so they seal up the wall better. Last thing I need is for yellow jackets to move in on me and fill up a wall with nest. Broke down two pallets today. Both happened to be recycled pallets, so had nails that were cut off to re-use the flats. That doubled the nail removal work. They don't yield much material for paneling the walls. Gonna take a lotta boards 4' x 3" to cover 10 foot high walls. Nothing says I gotta do it all at once, though.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Pallets are normally made from cheaper species such as Sweetgum, Sycamore, etc. that do not make quality lumber. They are spiral grain and are subject to twisting and cupping. I'm not saying that it won't work, but that it will be challenging. Yes I have seen it done before and it was lotsa work but incredible.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Pallets are normally made from cheaper species such as Sweetgum, Sycamore, etc. that do not make quality lumber. They are spiral grain and are subject to twisting and cupping. I'm not saying that it won't work, but that it will be challenging. Yes I have seen it done before and it was lotsa work but incredible.
So far, all I've got is yellow pine and what appears to be red oak. Very dry (other than the ton of rain dumped on it. I figure I'll break down the pallets, stack the usable stuff to dry it back out from the rain exposure, and then, I'll pick what I can use and turn the rest into stove wood with the miter saw. I'm looking for a rough look inside, so don't really care what species it is as long as it'll stay on the wall and keep the insulation from falling on me. I'll probably have to spray it with something to keep the carpenter bees and other critters from eating it as well as the spruce framing. A mix of diesel and used oil comes to mind, but that's going to mess with the colors of the used wood some. There's a mix of OSB and plywood in it too. That'll all go to feed the woodstove this winter if I can keep it covered and prevent it from rotting that long. Considering a small lean-to out back with a tarp to cover that stuff up. Beats cutting up more brush and letting it dry. I wouldn't normally burn pine/spruced, but since this stuff is extremely dried out, probably won't hurt too much. It'll be easy enough to clean the flue, though, with the exception of the soot going everywhere. I'll put some Hardy plank over the insulation in that corner, then cover it with some of the old sheet metal (aluminum) to help reflect the heat back into the room and give me a little fire prevention.

It probably isn't very efficient, but I've got an antique 2-plate Corona woodstove that my mom had in the kitchen when I was a kid. We had a propane tank, so did what we could with wood heat in the winter to minimize the costs of the propane. I cut and split many a cord of stove wood for that little critter. I'm going to see what I can do to restore it (black it) before I start using it again. I know there's some good heat resistant paint available, and I may highlight some of the trim on it with some gold colored paint as well. It'll be a good project to learn something else with. I know nothing about restoration of cast iron stoves, but I'm willing to learn anything with very few exceptions.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Old fashioned elbow grease. I want them nail free because I'm probably going to use a planer to straighten the edges so they seal up the wall better. Last thing I need is for yellow jackets to move in on me and fill up a wall with nest. Broke down two pallets today. Both happened to be recycled pallets, so had nails that were cut off to re-use the flats. That doubled the nail removal work. They don't yield much material for paneling the walls. Gonna take a lotta boards 4' x 3" to cover 10 foot high walls. Nothing says I gotta do it all at once, though.
There is a methodical way to use a reciprocating saw and cut through the nails to free the boards without splitting them. Then you will have to get the nails out of the boards if they are still a concern to your planing.

I see a lot of pallets with glued spiral nails that are nearly impossible to disassemble with any good results.

Good luck with the plans

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
There is a methodical way to use a reciprocating saw and cut through the nails to free the boards without splitting them. Then you will have to get the nails out of the boards if they are still a concern to your planing.

I see a lot of pallets with glued spiral nails that are nearly impossible to disassemble with any good results.

Good luck with the plans
Thanks for the well wishes. Gonna need some luck getting that many pallets together. We used to get some larger pallets at work, with large electrical equipment on them. I'm thinking I may have to liberate a few of those. Some of that was pretty nice pine.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Budget is blown because of lumber prices, so now just in damage control mode.
I'm shocked you can get anything done with the weather you have been getting. My son umps up in Hoover every weekend so I keep an eye on the weather and Bham has a bulls eye on it for some reason.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I'm shocked you can get anything done with the weather you have been getting. My son umps up in Hoover every weekend so I keep an eye on the weather and Bham has a bulls eye on it for some reason.
Yeah, it's been pretty crazy up here. Can't seem to find that magic window to get the roof put on. Yet, today, it's supposed to have been raining. We've had low 80's, nice breeze and sunny weather since about 10 this morning. Hard to plan when weathermen are consumate liars. Yesterday, we had at least 4 inches of rain. Day before, about 3 inches. I put tarps over the openings for the roll-ups which slowed down some of the rain blowing in, and got the walk-in door caulked (had to pull it back out) so I don't get any more water coming in around that. Hoping the door seals on the roll-ups are pretty good. May have a bit of splatter when I get the apron poured until I can get a gutter hung up. Don't have a choice, and the weather of late is pointing that out to me in capital letters.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got the west end faux rafters installed today, the trim boards on the west end, and about 2/3 across the front eave. Also put the drip edge on as much as I could cover with 10 foot sections across the front eave as well. This time I actually got a photo.
23EB3E76-29E5-49B2-B34D-171624ACB446.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Trim boards all up, drip edge done. Should lay some sheet on it tomorrow after verifying all my purlin spacing measurements and setting for 2" overhang of the sheet. Not real excited about getting on the new sheet metal to put the cap on, but not much choice in the matter. I'd welcome any advice anyone has about closing up the cap and rakes.

Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The son-in-law came over today and we put 24 sheets of steel up. 576 screws, two trips across the roof for 12 of the 24 panels (had to push the panels for the back roof over the front roof). All done except the rakes and ridge cap. I'll be glad when all the climbing is done. My back is so over all this nonsense. Too late finishing up tonite, so no photo. Will get one in the morning. Taking a day to let my step-daughter fix me a birthday lunch and rest up after a rather grueling day today. I'm just glad this global warming/climate change thing is giving us the mildest June I can ever remember. Could use a little more of this kind of change.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
The son-in-law came over today and we put 24 sheets of steel up. 576 screws, two trips across the roof for 12 of the 24 panels (had to push the panels for the back roof over the front roof). All done except the rakes and ridge cap. I'll be glad when all the climbing is done. My back is so over all this nonsense. Too late finishing up tonite, so no photo. Will get one in the morning. Taking a day to let my step-daughter fix me a birthday lunch and rest up after a rather grueling day today. I'm just glad this global warming/climate change thing is giving us the mildest June I can ever remember. Could use a little more of this kind of change.

Well Happy Birthday!!!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Well Happy Birthday!!!
Thanks for the well wishes.

Roof: DONE. Ridge cap on, rakes on. Nothing else to do on top. All the work will start gettingcloser to the ground.
D3D988C3-8B75-47E8-B8DA-D49D2CFCDE5B.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users