Shear Bolt Math

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Very little snow + BX2750 snowblower + stone driveway = Gonna need more shear bolts:eek:

Last winter was very cold and snowy in northeast. Only broke 1 over 30 hours of use. I think a big-ass chunk of ice got me then, and I might have been playing a little.:p

Have only done driveway 4 or 5 times this year - 3 broken bolts and counting. Keep catching stone.:eek:

Before now, probably didn't do more than 1 a year.

Had a foot on bare stone Thanksgiving - surprised I only broke 1.

Been doing same driveway same way for 25 years - It's a real bear when you don't have a base to slide over.

Last year was my first with the Kubota and 2750D blower. Some guys were complaining about going through a bunch. Guess its my turn.:rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Very little snow + BX2750 snowblower + stone driveway = Gonna need more shear bolts:eek:

Last winter was very cold and snowy in northeast. Only broke 1 over 30 hours of use. I think a big-ass chunk of ice got me then, and I might have been playing a little.:p

Have only done driveway 4 or 5 times this year - 3 broken bolts and counting. Keep catching stone.:eek:

Before now, probably didn't do more than 1 a year.

Had a foot on bare stone Thanksgiving - surprised I only broke 1.

Been doing same driveway same way for 25 years - It's a real bear when you don't have a base to slide over.

Last year was my first with the Kubota and 2750D blower. Some guys were complaining about going through a bunch. Guess its my turn.:rolleyes:

The depth always the same ?

All the bolts from the same bin?

Not knowing, but is there a way to angle the front of "a snow blower" - kinda like a rear blade? In other words can you angle the leading edge a little higher than the trailing edge? In my head I see a bucket sliding across the ground with the lip about an 1 or 2 up ?
Or is this not possible? I never have used one - we just push the 4 flakes around here with a broom!:D:D:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I never have used one - we just push the 4 flakes around here with a broom!:D:D:D
Made me laugh - I WISH I was inexperienced with snow!!:D:D

I did get all of these bolts at the same time from my dealer, and the one that keeps breaking is the fan bolt, which is expected with stone. The auger bolts are still factory. I think this is more an issue with getting into too much "stuff."

Snowblowers are fixed perpendicular. Angle would probably be a lot for the PTO to handle.

At first , I leave "minor" snowfalls - 2" or so - and drive over it to pack down the stone.

I also leave the shoes down as low a possible when I do have to go over "fresh" stone, so I leave 1.5" or so to pack down. I think my old JD blower would go to almost 2" clearance.

When I have a good base, I raise the shoes to cut closer. Just did that today, to about .75".

I also have a Boxer dog, and Boxers are not known for liking cold or snow much. I do part of the yard so he has a potty patch. I can't ever bottom out the cutting edge, because of my lawn work for him.:p

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
All in the same critter, or do you have one or more of each????

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Our jack Russell terrorist :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, he doesn't like all the noise you have in there. You need to turn the TV down!
WHAT!!!!! :eek::D:p It's hell getting older, eye sight and hearing hit the road :rolleyes:
He spends most of his time wrapped in a blanket. He's 14 and slowing way down! Gotten to where he'll just pop his nose out when you go to give him a treat. Then he retreats back under the covers to his nap :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All in the same critter, or do you have one or more of each????
Right now we have 6 pups, have had as many as 12 at one time, and as many as 56 in a year (we foster, save and rehome).
That's Vixen, she'll all Timber Wolf, I also have a Mal, Husky, Wolf mix, a Husk Mal mix, a mal, a Red Heeler, and a Miniature Poodle (shhh don't tell him he's a little poodle he thinks he's a big bad wolf)! :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Right now we have 6 pups, have had as many as 12 at one time, and as many as 56 in a year (we foster, save and rehome).
That's Vixen, she'll all Timber Wolf, I also have a Mal, Husky, Wolf mix, a Husk Mal mix, a mal, a Red Heeler, and a Miniature Poodle (shhh don't tell him he's a little poodle he thinks he's a big bad wolf)! :D
A sled dog team!!!! :)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
AYE CARAMBA!

You must have dog food delivered by the pallet!:p

My neighbor years ago had a 15 year-old daughter who decided she wanted a puppy. The puppy she brought home was 3/4 wolf. 1/4 Mal. Gorgeous and sweet but every time Coda yawned, it put shivers down my spine. Dog had more teeth than a shark. Fortunately, after eating up all the sprinkler heads, the father found Coda a good home with others of his kind.

Do Wolf pups chew? I envision all the furniture in your house on cinder blocks...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is what Wolves, Huskies and Malamutes like.

Funny - kinda like anti-Boxer!!:):p

This is our 2nd Boxer - they are great dogs with kids, and watch dogs, too. They don't handle heat well, either. But he's always with or near us, so it works.:)

Had a Lab/Great Dane mix first for 12 years. Looked like a REAL BIG long-legged blonde Lab. 150 lbs of shedding, but a fantastic dog, that definitely drew attention!:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
AYE CARAMBA!

You must have dog food delivered by the pallet!:p

My neighbor years ago had a 15 year-old daughter who decided she wanted a puppy. The puppy she brought home was 3/4 wolf. 1/4 Mal. Gorgeous and sweet but every time Coda yawned, it put shivers down my spine. Dog had more teeth than a shark. Fortunately, after eating up all the sprinkler heads, the father found Coda a good home with others of his kind.

Do Wolf pups chew? I envision all the furniture in your house on cinder blocks...
Yea, We call Vixen "Piranha with legs".
We do go though a tad bit of puppy food around here.
They can be super destructive if left alone, luckily she's with me 24/7 so she no issues, well besides the occasional slipper snacking events! :D
Did have one of the rescues that totally ate one of our couches in about 1/2 hour, right down to the frame. :eek:

Funny - kinda like anti-Boxer!!:):p

This is our 2nd Boxer - they are great dogs with kids, and watch dogs, too. They don't handle heat well, either. But he's always with or near us, so it works.:)

Had a Lab/Great Dane mix first for 12 years. Looked like a REAL BIG long-legged blonde Lab. 150 lbs of shedding, but a fantastic dog, that definitely drew attention!:eek:
Try walking around town and into stores with a wolf, most people are just shocked!:eek:
She's really a sweet girl, well that is until you tick her off!;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A guy I flew with that lived in Denver had a Husky. The dog would cry by the door at sunset in winter when it was snowy because he loved to burrow under the snow and spend the night outside.

They'd open the back door the next morning and call and he pop up from the snow with a smile on his face and then shake off all the wet and come in, mostly dry. Crazy dog.

My dogs are the opposite. Both are Yuma rescues. The pound down there has a 95% kill rate. Both of these piggies hate heat and Yuma is hotter than heck. They love having a pool to lay in and only scurry out in the midday to get warmed up and get their business done. Then its back inside. The brown dog is a terrier mix named Rudy who is colored so close to the local granite that we lose him ten feet away. Sabine is some weird combination of spotted hunting dog with a rough coat on top. She can run like a greyhound and barks like a hound dog. Way smarter than her brother too. Has these weird goat ears... oh well. That's what you get in a mutt. The black spot on her side looks like some high school kids spray painted her.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yea, We call Vixen "Piranha with legs".
We do go though a tad bit of puppy food around here.
They can be super destructive if left alone, luckily she's with me 24/7 so she no issues, well besides the occasional slipper snacking events! :D
The slipper snacking events I can deal with :) our jack russell used to get mad at our middle son and would poo in his slippers and shoes :eek::D:D I used to be belly laughing rolling on the floor about once a week over that :D:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Not sure they have anything on Lab puppies. Roomie got one and it destroyed his $2,000 new leather couch in less than a workday. Puppies do not like to be left alone and view everything as a chew toy!

We rescued our current poodle as a puppy and she used to always chew up my wifes shoes, never mine. She doesn't do that any more, but I can't have bare feet, now she sneaks up on me and gives my toes a lick! Makes me jump every time! Never realized I was that ticklish.

This is how my spoiled mutt looks in Winter...

Attachments