security

Ladair

Equipment
Kubota l3400
Feb 19, 2018
Newark, Tx.
not sure if this fits here.
how do you secure your tractor. not talking about if its locked in a barn, shed, shop.
mine has to live outside. and its my understanding one key fits several. all I have to do is go to my dealer and buy a key.
so how do you, if you do, secure your expensive machine
thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
not sure if this fits here.
how do you secure your tractor. not talking about if its locked in a barn, shed, shop.
mine has to live outside. and its my understanding one key fits several. all I have to do is go to my dealer and buy a key.
so how do you, if you do, secure your expensive machine
thanks
Several schools of thought here - some more severe than others......

IF for a long time - jack up and remove tire. Royal Pita - but works.

Place a hidden fuel cutoff somewhere inline - it gets started but does not go far.

Have another electrical device that must be cut on first - like a self made safety switch.

Unless you remove a rolling part, someone with enough force will take it out of gear and winch it up a trailer!

Never think past a crook that wants something more than you do!;)

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I take the key out and shove it in between the padding and the cab roof rail.:)
I knew a guy once who never locked his machines. His theory was that if someone found them locked they would assume there was some valuable tools or the like inside and break in to get them. By leaving it unlocked they could look in and see that there was nothing left there.
But we are in the country and there is very little crime here, probably because everyone knows what everyone does :rolleyes: They could tell you what you had for breakfast :D

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Insurance for me. But I live in a quiet area, most of my neighbors leave the key in and anyone could take them, if there was anyone around!

I was talking to a neighbor who owns a concrete business. They have hidden GPS trackers (sort of like a LoJack, but satellites) on all the expensive machines. If stolen (and he has had it happen) the ID of the GPS can be put in a computer and the machine located. His machines are often left in developments, shopping strip malls and the like where thief's cruise looking for stuff.

I think insurance is the best and cheapest protection. My homeowners automatically covers my machine from a tree falling on it or theft, no additional cost.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
A secondary cutoff switch would be a good start and lower all implements to the ground. The next best thing is to carry KTAC insurance or really good homeowners (make sure it covers theft).

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I know someone who wired a kill switch onto his BX. It was pretty simple and gave him peace of mind that nobody would jump on it and go.

EDIT: Looks like I was beat by seconds.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Harbor Freight has a cheap battery disconnect. Would at least avoid a quick get-away, but they are obvious if you look at the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Had asked a similar question in the fall. Was about to put in a secondary cut off but thought if they really want it there going to drag it onto a trailer. Ended up adding it to my house insurance. Now its covered for theft or damage.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use wolves to guard mine... seriously I do. :D

Like others are saying, Battery and fuel cut off's are the easiest ways to make them harder to steal. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mines I the back yard with the key in it :rolleyes: When I go out of town, the key gets removed though.

Course the tractor shares the back yard with our German Shepherd when we aren't home. So unless the robber knows our dog, chances are pretty good they will take one look at her and decide to pass on it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
IMHO tractor insurance is to cheap not to have it. I keep insurance on nearly all my farm equipment. In 30 yrs of custom baling I've lost a tractor & rd baler to separate fires & a hay cutter to hitting an unseen concrete bridge abutment. In addition to what others stated on models that have safety switch on pto such as my M7040 has one can engage pto & that might fool the not so tractor knowledgeable thief. I turn the fuel valve to off when tractor must be left in field also.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know people ask me about the bike as well,, and the answer is the same INSURANCE. Do I want to loose either no, but if someone wants it then they will find a way to take it. It would be a major PIA to replace either one, still I sleep at nights and dont worry if they do go away

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You know people ask me about the bike as well,, and the answer is the same INSURANCE. Do I want to loose either no, but if someone wants it then they will find a way to take it. It would be a major PIA to replace either one, still I sleep at nights and dont worry if they do go away
Had a buddy who had his bike stolen. Filed an insurance claim. Bought an even better bike. Then got a call from the local PD. His bike was locked up and parked in the supermarket parking lot a mile from his house. :confused:

He got drunk at the bar in the same strip mall as the market. Blacked out and some friends put him in a taxi and sent him home :D:D Needless to say, he had a very awkward discussion with his insurance company and years of ribbing before he lived that one down :D

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
mine lives in a horse barn, so its not really locakble. The horse runs are open. Insurance however is prbly the best response. If some one wants it they will take it. If its a pro thief, then they're going to disable whatever feel good mechanism you've put on it. I'm less worried about my tractor than tools. Tools are easier to fence and easier to carry. Chainsaws, weed wackers that kind of stuff. According to my local dealer, tractor theft is extremely low.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
what ever safety switch is easiest to reach.... put something in that area that causes the switch to create no start. Put a string on it. gool ol' el tractor will now not start even if they hotwire it.

Use the string to pull the gizmo out of the way when you want to start it. Throw it in cupholder or ?? where you can reach it easy to re-install it when you want to.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I use Goldstar GPS units on my equipment. $150.00 for the unit and $29.00 a year for the service. The first 3 years are free. The basic unit has a starter disable feature. You go online and turn the starter off. Not only does it disable the starter, It will tell you where the machine is.