Repelling / Deterring Beavers

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Seems like I saw a program about beavers being relocated to restore habitat and save water runoff. Perhaps you could find someone to live trap them out and transport them to where they're wanted.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Seems like I saw a program about beavers being relocated to restore habitat and save water runoff. Perhaps you could find someone to live trap them out and transport them to where they're wanted.

Possibly. The OP's State (Utah) is one of the few States allowing for relocation but i is quite a process with lots of considerations and even preparation of the Beaver(s) before release.

Also, Winter Trapping is quite a departure from trapping before the water source has frozen over. Unlikely you'd find anyone willing to do it.

Beaver are Fur Bearing animals in the State of Utah and are thus 'protected', though there is a trapping season and provision for nuisance animals.

But for a citizen (not licensed by the State to remove nuisance animals) to act....you must first secure a 'permit' from the UDWR and then follow applicable State and Local laws/ordinances for capture or killing. You can't just step out there and cap one (legally).

The OP's problem is best solved after the Spring Thaw.

Reactions: 1 user

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
FYI - I did some more research on the whole gun issue. It turns out that I can shoot off firearms on my property. I just have to have a city permit to do so and the bullets can't leave my property. That makes me much happier as I have thirty acres and wanted to put up a range. But! As for shooting the beavers, I would indeed have to get a permit from the Utah DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) - no big deal - however I would then have to hang out and wait for them to show up. I have only seen one beaver, one time. So, I think it is wait for spring and get a trapper.

Really enjoyed reading this whole thread though. :)

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've had beaver problems many moons ago, met my wife, settled on this beaver pet....end of story. lol

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
however I would then have to hang out and wait for them to show up. I have only seen one beaver, one time. So, I think it is wait for spring and get a trapper.
The ones we had on the farm in Pennsylvania were mostly nocturnal. Rare to see one in daylight.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
FYI - I did some more research on the whole gun issue. It turns out that I can shoot off firearms on my property. I just have to have a city permit to do so and the bullets can't leave my property. That makes me much happier as I have thirty acres and wanted to put up a range. But! As for shooting the beavers, I would indeed have to get a permit from the Utah DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) - no big deal - however I would then have to hang out and wait for them to show up. I have only seen one beaver, one time. So, I think it is wait for spring and get a trapper.

Really enjoyed reading this whole thread though. :)
just get one of these:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK I aint gona say nuttin about eating a beaver,, well ya can ya know

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
If the beavers are still active above the ice (walk the shoreline, you will see where they are coming out of the water), set a trail camera on a likely spot or where you see tree damage. Discover the beavers pattern & be there when they show up. Use a shotgun(#4 or larger shot) & a flashlight. Practice holding the light & shotgun, it can be done. Ask me how I know?
Always check your local laws.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
If the beavers are still active above the ice (walk the shoreline, you will see where they are coming out of the water), set a trail camera on a likely spot or where you see tree damage. Discover the beavers pattern & be there when they show up. Use a shotgun(#4 or larger shot) & a flashlight. Practice holding the light & shotgun, it can be done. Ask me how I know?
Always check your local laws.
Hey Trapper (guessing the name indicates why you know :) )
Thanks for the suggestion - right now we are seeing nighttime temps dipping below zero. At those temps I will give the dammed trees to the beavers.

Kevin

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
local guy traps them and sells the skins to some outfit out of china. They pay pretty good for beaver pelts. He tells me that every single part of the trapped animals are used for something. He traps beaver fox coyote bobcat etc. Said he got a mountain lion in a trap a few weeks back; had to turn it loose. I ain't sure I'd be man enough to walk up to the trap & turn a lion loose. I got a housecat and that sucker is MEAN (and quick and strong)....imagine that, but 5 times bigger, twice as fast. Little 15lb house cat can tear you up if he wants to-and he has. I got scars all over my arm.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
flintnapper said:
"I would contact the local Game Warden and inquire about any laws concerning Nuisance Animals and what measures can be taken to address the issue."

Also might be worth a call to your local USDA, Wildlife Services office. At least, they have the background to know what, and what is not possible for beaver control, given local regulations, which they are bound to follow.

-Paul

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the funny thing is that looks just like my cat, but a little smaller. I don't dare pick it up to even attempt that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Muttbarker, I saw this for sale on FB Marketplace. I don't know anything about it or where to purchase one, but maybe you can figure out how it works and build one!!

Hancock/Baily Beaver Trap
$150
Listed 4 weeks ago in Mt Vernon, MO

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Good
Hancock Bailey beaver trap in excellent shape. The price is FIRM! Local pickup only. Or within 30-mile radius.

1671728109678.png

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Muttbarker, I saw this for sale on FB Marketplace. I don't know anything about it or where to purchase one, but maybe you can figure out how it works and build one!!

Hancock/Baily Beaver Trap
$150
Listed 4 weeks ago in Mt Vernon, MO

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Good
Hancock Bailey beaver trap in excellent shape. The price is FIRM! Local pickup only. Or within 30-mile radius.

View attachment 92596
Thanks D2 - I am getting ready to learn to weld :) So, once I get the hang of it maybe I will take this on as a project. Toss it in when the river thaws in the spring. No way will I get it done before it freezes seeing as my Christmas present to myself will be to buy the welder equipment.

Attachments

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
So - update for anyone who cares - I bought something called "Cole's Flaming Squirrel Deterrent" - capsicum based product that is wicked hot. Put it on various partially gnawed trees are the results are pretty darned good. I over sprayed where they were chewing and so far no more nibbles.

If anyone thinks they want to copy this idea be aware, this stuff is flammable. One drop on your privates or your lips and will regret it for hours. It was about -5 when I was spraying it on and some dripped on my gloves and dried. Totally forget that fact and then when I went to take them off I grabbed the glove tip with my mouth - oh boy! What a mistake. :mad:

Attachments

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Oh, you have open water on a fairly narrow stream. Any trapper worth his salt, could make short work of those beavers with 330 conibears. The ice forming on the sides narrows the channel to funnel the beavers right to the traps. Easy peazy (most of the time).
Beautiful pic too. It would be sad to see the trees turned into tree stumps.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Hey Bob - I guess our trappers just don't have it in them to do it in the winter. I am ok with waiting if I can just hold them at bay. The river is the Weber, which is a primary source of water for many of the communities in they valley where my land is and also feeds into the Great Salt Lake. I would think that the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) would care about the massive dam they are building on it just down stream from where I shot that picture, but so far they don't.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Hey Bob - I guess our trappers just don't have it in them to do it in the winter. I am ok with waiting if I can just hold them at bay. The river is the Weber, which is a primary source of water for many of the communities in they valley where my land is and also feeds into the Great Salt Lake. I would think that the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) would care about the massive dam they are building on it just down stream from where I shot that picture, but so far they don't.
I checked “Maps”. You’re 14hrs 11 min from me. That’s a little farther then I like to go to trap or I would help you. Part of the attraction of trapping, is seeing the countryside (usually places that cannot be seen from a road) & meeting people. Our trapping season in KS. is the middle of Nov. to the end of March. Basically, all of winter.
I wish you luck. Beavers are really neat to watch & have around, when they behave. Too often, they get into something, build something, eat something, that causes trouble. I have asked permission to trap beavers & was turned down because the beavers were not hurting anybody. A year or 2 later, the same landowner will call & ask for the beavers removal & right NOW.