Repelling / Deterring Beavers

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Even my .22 cal. air rifle might work ....1300 FPS.

Not even close to being a humane kill. Likely not even a kill unless you get lucky. 22 LR is borderline, and not even sure which side of the border it's on. A 22. centerfire of some kind is really the responsible choice.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thanks Buck - we use a local trapper who has been doing it for forever and they said it’s just to risky to trap now.
As for taking a shot them, alas the town that our property resides in just banned all shooting within city limits.
Appreciate the feedback.
Kevin
City Council
Beavers
Only one of them do I consider a feral animal. It's not the one with an affinity for trees.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Not even close to being a humane kill. Likely not even a kill unless you get lucky. 22 LR is borderline, and not even sure which side of the border it's on. A 22. centerfire of some kind is really the responsible choice.
Actually, they are very effective. As are .22lr. Both have about the same or greater kinetic energy than a typical hunting bow. We aren't talking the Red Rider BB gun.
At 50-60 yards they don't even know they are dead.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I believe the OP indicated firearms are prohibited in his case but I have found 12 gauge 3” #4 steel shot (remembering to be environmentally friendly) “goose” loads with an extra full turkey choke are quite effective on beaver and muskrat. Not very stealthy but we don’t need to be.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Actually, they are very effective. As are .22lr. Both have about the same or greater kinetic energy than a typical hunting bow. We aren't talking the Red Rider BB gun.
At 50-60 yards they don't even know they are dead.
Trouble is....depending on jurisdiction, it might also be illegal to discharge an Airgun within City Limits.

I would contact the local Game Warden and inquire about any laws concerning Nuisance Animals and what measures can be taken to address the issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I believe the OP indicated firearms are prohibited in his case but I have found 12 gauge 3” #4 steel shot (remembering to be environmentally friendly) “goose” loads with an extra full turkey choke are quite effective on beaver and muskrat. Not very stealthy but we don’t need to be.
.223 for me, works every time I've needed to lower the numbers.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It’s hard to repel beavers when there’s some of their preferred trees on the property. Those trees are their food source.

You can shoot them today, but with favorable trees, others could be back shortly.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Trouble is....depending on jurisdiction, it might also be illegal to discharge an Airgun within City Limits.

I would contact the local Game Warden and inquire about any laws concerning Nuisance Animals and what measures can be taken to address the issue.
I'm not arguing the legality of it. Just the effectiveness. The OP already said it's not an option due to government overreach.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I'm not arguing the legality of it. Just the effectiveness. The OP already said it's not an option due to government overreach.
Well if we are only arguing 'effectiveness' then dynamite, right?

All the suggestions outside of legal means are a moot point. OP isn't looking to break the law if I understand his post correctly.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Kinetic energy isn't what kills.
No, but it is a universal measurement across projectile weapons.
You can say what you want. Fact is a 22lr is 100% effective at eliminating varmints As is a .22 air rifle. They are both used often for that very purpose.
If you can't place the shot correctly, you can't place the shot. Using a larger caliber isn't the answer unless you need to punch out to over 50 yards (air)/ 75 yards (rim fire) or so.
It's easy to find beaver hunt videos where either are used.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well if we are only arguing 'effectiveness' then dynamite, right?

All the suggestions outside of legal means are a moot point. OP isn't looking to break the law if I understand his post correctly.
I wasn't discussing the use of a .22 with the OP as a solution.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I wasn't discussing the use of a .22 with the OP as a solution.
My bad...then. But in Post #7 you submitted "CCI Mini Mag"....which rather alludes to use of a .22 ?

In any case, the only legal solution at this juncture would be to contact authorities and inquire about measures allowed to control nuisance animals within the city limits. OP can decide from there.

I recognize some of the other posts are 'tongue in cheek' replies. We can all come up with a dozen ways to kill the beavers 'SSS' (Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up), but unless I misunderstood the OP....I think he just wants the beavers gone...without breaking any laws/ordinances. There doesn't seem to be a good solution at this time owing to weather conditions and restrictions.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I know nothing about trapping beavers. What's the time of year got to do with risk?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I know nothing about trapping beavers. What's the time of year got to do with risk?
You ever broken through the ice on a river/pond?

Trapper would likely want to do an 'Under Ice' set....since its too late to make a 'slide set' or Open Water set with the trap.

It would be a Submersed set, so it would involve dangerous work around ice and water. Depending on conditions...this might not be a problem for a seasoned trapper, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to do it for one or two nuisance animals.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Besides, the little beasties can be a tad "bitey" what with their giant teefs.

T'were me, I'd engage the furry critters at stand-off range with heavy artillery... something in a .30 diameter magnum bottleneck chambering.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Besides, the little beasties can be a tad "bitey" what with their giant teefs.

T'were me, I'd engage the furry critters at stand-off range with heavy artillery... something in a .30 diameter magnum bottleneck chambering.

OP clearly states that local ordinances will not allow for that!

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Stand-off range places you outside of city/municipal limits.

"Adjust fire and fire for effect!"

• Haha

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You ever broken through the ice on a river/pond?

Trapper would likely want to do an 'Under Ice' set....since its too late to make a 'slide set' or Open Water set with the trap.

It would be a Submersed set, so it would involve dangerous work around ice and water. Depending on conditions...this might not be a problem for a seasoned trapper, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to do it for one or two nuisance animals.
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe you could trap them on land when they're cutting trees. Fortunately, we've never been 'blessed' with them. Did sell dynamite in my (very) young days, before the Feds took the fun out of it.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Gotcha. I was thinking maybe you could trap them on land when they're cutting trees. Fortunately, we've never been 'blessed' with them. Did sell dynamite in my (very) young days, before the Feds took the fun out of it.
Yes, I can remember pre 1970 when dynamite was in common use by ranchers and small construction companies. I have a few interesting experiences 'blasting' leach fields and stumps from my earlier years.