Repelling / Deterring Beavers

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I was motoring upriver in the boat the last time i went trout fishing. It was about 0600, not a lot of light yet, and I'm going kinda slow. Foggy as all getout too. I could see maybe 20-25 foot. Got to a shoal and found a lane, started up the lane slowly and seen a HUGE beaver swim off away from the boat. Had to be 50 or 60 lbs. Biggest one I've ever seen in my life and I've seen a lot of them. Those suckers will get your attention when you're in a slow moving and quiet area and they get startled. They'll slap the water with their big flat tail when you aren't expecting it. If it's anywhere close to you and you ain't ready for it, it's always "interesting".

Local lake was FULL of beavers, and nutria. game and fish people quietly brought in some gators. But I don't know where gators go when it's zero degrees outside with the high temp of 12. There's one that's almost 11 foot long; or WAS one. It surfaced right next to my little 12' flat bottom aluminum boat when I was fishin on my lunch break. The gator was about a foot shorter than the boat. And of course by time I got my phone out to take a picture, it was gone. And there's a 12 footer in the creek not far away. I've seen it a few times on the bank while bowfishing; but most recent spotting was about 2017 so it may very well be a goner by now. If yall ain't heard them bellowing at night, you're missing out. If you're quiet enough and sneak around good in gator areas in their mating season, you'll hear the boys calling the girls. Youtube search it if ya aint' heard em before.