Putting weight on the front of Bs

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Hey fellas, I need some ideas. I was out plowing snow with my b2620 and it was about 14 inch's deep. The little machine did great but occasionally the front end got pushed over a bit here and there. I have chains on the rear and weight in my dirt scoop and the rear stayed put.
But I'm looking for ideas to get more front wheel traction? Oh I must add that I have the Kubota 6ft snow blade and sub frame assembly setup.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I put a set of tire chains on the front of my B2920 along with a rear set. Makes a tremendous difference in the steering. I had a pair that came off my old lawn mower tractor that fit and were light weight.

TobyGaff

Equipment
B3300 with FEL
Feb 11, 2014
Northern Indiana
Another option is to use a product like RimGuard. It adds a fairly significant amount of weight to the tractor, although not all to the front of the tractor since those tires are smaller, but the extra weight does help the traction.

http://www.rimguard.biz

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Read your manual, Most if not all tractors DO NOT recommend filling the front tire with liquid! ;)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Keep your eyes on local garage sales - you can often find weights for a song. I like the looks of the brackets for them.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I would be concerned the the extra weight from the front wheel weights would over stress the front drive train & steering of the 4x4 system. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think the biggest problem is trying to push 14 inches of deep snow with a 6 foot blade on a subcompact tractor. I run a B6100 with a 4ft blade, sometimes its all it can do to push snow, it works better pushing snow backwards then forwards.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I think the biggest problem is trying to push 14 inches of deep snow with a 6 foot blade on a subcompact tractor. I run a B6100 with a 4ft blade, sometimes its all it can do to push snow, it works better pushing snow backwards then forwards.
Are you kidding, it pushes better than some full sized P/U's I've seen. And pushing snow up a 1/2 mile long private road backwards isn't an option.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I do not believe the wheel weights would particularly hurt the front end, other than making it pull harder. You get into trouble when you try to space out the wheels. Simply adding a wheel weights is probably easier on the front end than suitcase weights .

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Mine walks sideways to much if I drive forward with the blade at an angle trying to move snow from oneside to the other. If I spin the blade around and push backwards I do alot better.

I don't understand how such a small tractor roughly the same size as mine is pushing a 6ft blade, but if it works it works.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I was watching a neighbor with a similar sized New Holland today and he had chains on the front wheel and no apparent weight on the front and he was pushing todays snow with much better results. I also noticed today plowing 14plus inchs that alittle less blade angle and alittle more speed helped keep the front wheels in line.
Still getting used to this little tank, only had it for a month and this only the second or 3rd snow fall I've plowed with it.
Gotta add this tractor runs cirlcles around my 4500 lb Massey 50 when it comes to pushing snow and just about everything else.
I will be heading to Tractor Supply tomorrow for a set of front chains and am certain now I will be good to go.....

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I run chains on front and back of both of the B7100 tractors that I use in the winter. Have used then this way for years. I also have 50 lb wheel weights on each front wheel of the tractor with the back hoe mounted. Not so much for snow moving traction but to keep the front on the ground to counter balance the weight of the backhoe when going up steep hills.

Last edited:

bmwmike

Equipment
B7100, 1640A loader, tiller, box blade, grader blade, carry all. John deere 455,
Jan 13, 2013
clarksville, Tn.
These may be able to be put on front wheels and use free weights.
http://lugghandles.com/
I made my own for the rear and would do the same for the front if I needed them, very easy to make. I got the weights at the scrap yard for 22 cents a pound. I did 100 lbs per rear wheel.
mike

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mbnorton

Jan 1, 2011
canada
Just a thought
Since you have chains on rear and have a front blade...... why not remove weight off the rear. If you add weight on front you will remove weight off of the rears?????

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Just a thought
Since you have chains on rear and have a front blade...... why not remove weight off the rear. If you add weight on front you will remove weight off of the rears?????
I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but not sure I follow the logic here. Please expand on what you are thinking, on how and why that would work.

mbnorton

Jan 1, 2011
canada
you are using a front blade. If you are that is weight on your front tires. The weight on the dirt scoop on your three point hitch removes weight from front tires and put more on your rear tires. the rear wheels acts as a pivot. Remove weight from rear dirt scoop should add weight to your front tires by pivoting on your rear tires. Like a see saw. I am not saying it will work just try.

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
you are using a front blade. If you are that is weight on your front tires. The weight on the dirt scoop on your three point hitch removes weight from front tires and put more on your rear tires. the rear wheels acts as a pivot. Remove weight from rear dirt scoop should add weight to your front tires by pivoting on your rear tires. Like a see saw. I am not saying it will work just try.
Still need the weight on the rear for pushing piles and drifts....