One more Marine gone

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just got back from a funeral for a young Marine. No he wasnt killed in battle, at least not a battle of bullets and bombs. He did his time in the middle east, and came back a much changed young man, and a much pained young man. A happy young man, turned most depressed, drugs and booze, and the VA. Yes our beloved VA, 8,9, or 10 months between appointments, because they were much to busy to help a young man in trouble. And 8,9, or 10 months were as soon as they could get a shrink to see him. Well the VA doesnt have to worry any more about him, he took care of all his problems by putting a bullet through his brain last Wensday.
Im sorry to just lay this out here but I just had to vent.
Another brave young life lost in the system

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oh Skeets, I am so sorry to hear that. It is shameful that they can't fix the bureaucracy to take care of these guys and gals. I have read the hodge podge of rules to hire extra psychiatrists is a disaster, they don't get notified about patients and don't get paid when they do get to see them. Maybe we should start one of those "go fund me" things to raise money for immediate mental health care for our veterans that need it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As someone with PTSD it takes a lot of work and support to help get us to a good place.
It's sad that our society puts a huge negative stigma on having it, and that our government has dropped the ball on those that suffer from PTSD.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wolfman just incase no one has told you,,, Welocme home brother

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
As another with ptsd, I went untreated for 46 years and finally broke down and went to the VA. It changed my life. VA has got it's problems but every once in a while they do get one right. What's not so funny is to watch my wife, she has all my mannerisms. Has to sit in corner at restaurant's etc. Have to go early or late so we are the only one's.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You sit with your back to the wall so you can watch the door,, yeah,, and the sound of a chopper,, sometimes, well you know. Im glad the VA came to bat for you, seems more and more young vets are left twisting in the wind

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
You sit with your back to the wall so you can watch the door,, yeah,, and the sound of a chopper,, sometimes, well you know. Im glad the VA came to bat for you, seems more and more young vets are left twisting in the wind
I'm sure it's just that I am over sensitive, but, it almost sounds like you are making fun of me.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm sure it's just that I am over sensitive, but, it almost sounds like you are making fun of me.

No, he ain't ........I think he understands all too well! :)

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Sorry to hear about your friend. I was the local VA here last week and I notice in the lastyear there were many young guys starting to come in.I was talking to a guy and he was being treated for PSTD. After he went in his wife told us she feared for him. But on a brighter note the nurse told me that the VA leased the rest of the building here and they were going to put in many more offices with DR's to treat the people coming in with mental problems so maybe there is a little hope yet.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I am so sorry to hear of the death of the young Marine. In some places the VA is better than others. My son is a DAV and the care in this area is pretty poor.

Josef, I agree with Hoakie on Skeets intent.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I want to say thank you to all the have and are server our great country! I just wish that the government would do a better job of taking care of our service members and our veterans!

I try to thank at least one service member a day for their service, most of the time it is at the gate going to work. I also try to thank any veterans I see when I'm out anywhere.

I worked with a guy that has traumatic brain injury from an IED that went off when his vehicle past it and it went off. He was going pretty good with it, but I could tell at times it was hard for him.

I would do anything I could do to help any of our service members or veterans.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
I want to say thank you to all the have and are server our great country! I just wish that the government would do a better job of taking care of our service members and our veterans!

I try to thank at least one service member a day for their service, most of the time it is at the gate going to work. I also try to thank any veterans I see when I'm out anywhere.

I worked with a guy that has traumatic brain injury from an IED that went off when his vehicle past it and it went off. He was going pretty good with it, but I could tell at times it was hard for him.

I would do anything I could do to help any of our service members or veterans.
mdhughes,

I hope the others here will not take ANY of the previous posts wrong. Most have the best of intentions, as do I when I say "Been there, done that." And I, too am still very cautious when in public (wife thinks I'm paranoid). Best wishes to all.

Where in MO are you mdhughes? Just being nosey.

Dave

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
Sorry to hear this.

Two weeks ago we buried a friends son. Three tours in the middle east and 20 years in the Army. Depressed, drugs and booze didn't help. He killed himself leaving behind a wife and four kids.

I'm still sick in my stomach from thinking about him. :(

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
No my friend Im not makeing light of you,,, just that I do the same and I know why,,I never make fun or laugh at any one,, I ll laugh with you but never at you.
The more I watch people the more I see the ones like us, we dont stand out nor make a big deal out of things, but if you watch you will see others like you, and you understand why they do what they do

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
No my friend Im not makeing light of you,,, just that I do the same and I know why,,I never make fun or laugh at any one,, I ll laugh with you but never at you.
The more I watch people the more I see the ones like us, we dont stand out nor make a big deal out of things, but if you watch you will see others like you, and you understand why they do what they do
I'm certainly glad you answered as I was getting sick in the stomach over the whole thing. I thank you very much for your kind answer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Our government does some things that don't make sense!

I lived in the Far East for 6 years. I would set on the front steps and watch the choppers go out over the South China Sea and paratroopers would jump out with cast on their arms or legs.

I'd see some of the guys at the gym and ask them why? If they wanted jump pay, they had to jump! Cast or no cast. They would go to the hospital pick them up, they'd jump, they'd pick them out of the sea and take them back to the hospital and reset the cast.

It was a wild time for me. Went to the gym every day for several hours. Became friends with many guys a few years older then me, and they were trained for war. They called each other names. Anchor Clanker, Jar Head, Wing Nut, Belching Buzzard.... and others.

I learned a special appreciation for all that was going on around me. B52's taking off every 6 minutes. So much noise you couldn't get a good nights sleep for a few days.

Airforce had to build berms around the air base to deflect the noise up, to was so loud.

After HS, I went to get a physical to apply to a military school. I flunked. Had a lumbar sacro spine. Not to participate in any contact sport. Be cautious of all activities. This was a conference with seven doctors at a military hospital. Couldn't join the service, 4F.

All the men and women who have defended our country have qualities others do not. I have learned they are special people. They do most all the daily thing others do, but they have something more. It's hidden inside.

I try to show a heart felt thanks to these guys.

I think the US govt. should have in their war budget for the mental and physical well being of all that serve, and if the funds are not there don't declare war!

Thanks to all service personal.

If you want to get a taste of what it may have been like in Vietnam, just read some of the terms used. http://www.vietvet.org/glossary.htm

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good Lord D2,, I havent hear any of those for years, maybe just as well,,lol
, thanks
Long live Puff the Magic Dragon