No one ever warned me about this side effect of buying a boat!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
so if anyone is looking for a low hour 2016 Yamaha F150XB then let me know. :LOL: I've gone the 200hp V6 route.
We missed each other by about 3 years.

I think you're gonna like the extra HP.

True story:

Back when Covid 1st hit, I had ordered an brand spanking new Alumacraft with 2 Yamaha's. A 150 main motor and a 9.9 kicker. My first brand new boat, and brand new Yami's.

I could hardly sleep at night in anticipation. Long story short, after delay after delay, about 11 months later i got THE call........"Hi Paul, your boats in!" (without getting graphic, I was VERY excited...LOL)

Then the following phrase hit me like a ton of bricks......."But your motors won't be in for maybe a year or so.............But we can get some Merc's instead?"

Nope...no way......Yamahas, or F it I, don't want the boat.

That lead me to finding this in Buffalo NY, (a 10 hour drive) and "re-evaluating" my budget.

IMG-20211115-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20210605-WA0003.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
We missed each other by about 3 years.

I think you're gonna like the extra HP.

True story:

Back when Covid 1st hit, I had ordered an brand spanking new Alumacraft with 2 Yamaha's. A 150 main motor and a 9.9 kicker. My first brand new boat, and brand new Yami's.

I could hardly sleep at night in anticipation. Long story short, after delay after delay, about 11 months later i got THE call........"Hi Paul, your boats in!" (without getting graphic, I was VERY excited...LOL)

Then the following phrase hit me like a ton of bricks......."But your motors won't be in for maybe a year or so.............But we can get some Merc's instead?"

Nope...no way......Yamahas, or F it I, don't want the boat.

That lead me to finding this in Buffalo NY, (a 10 hour drive) and "re-evaluating" my budget.

View attachment 123288

View attachment 123291
Yeah! A 200hp 4.2L V6 will feel a lot different to a 150hp 2.7L I4. (y)

Beautiful boat you have .... and what a motor! My boat is only rated for 200hp (by USCG) so that's all I'm going with, but it turns out that the only difference between the 200, 225, 250 and 300hp motors is the ECU programming. If I want more power I'll send the ECU out, but probably won't for a year or two at least.

I got an additional 3 years on the warranty which is a special that Yamaha is running. This is the motor but with 200 on the cover of course. After doing some research on jack plates I decided to add that to the mix.

1709239952636.png

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Beautiful boat .... and what a motor! My boat is rated for 200hp (by USCG) so that's all I'm going with, but it turns out that the only difference between the 200, 225, 250 and 300hp motors is the ECU programming. If I want more power I'll send the ECU out, but probably won't for a year or two at least.

I got an additional 3 years on the warranty which is a special that Yamaha is running.
Thanks man.

Funny thing about that is that I ONLY wanted a 150......I was dead set against anything but a 150 due to its legendary reliability and track record....( I get OCD like that.....Cummins 5.9, Kubota 1.6, Yamaha 150......etc)....Then reality set in...... this boat was the one I originally wanted, but it had the 300 instead of a "legendary 150", BUT..... it's there.......it's rigged.... and it's ready to go.

Finally the wife got tired of me going back and forth and said. "Just by the "F'ing thing, and lets go fishing."

Well the rest is history......(except for the whole "Holy Sh!t......You spent "How much on a Fish Finder?')

Different thread I guess.................lol

Luckily, you won't need that extended warranty.....after all, it's a Yamaha.

I thought I was a Yamaha fan, but this guy might actually have Yamalube coursing through his veins....LOL

See you out on the water!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks man.

Funny thing about that is that I ONLY wanted a 150......I was dead set against anything but a 150 due to its legendary reliability and track record....( I get OCD like that.....Cummins 5.9, Kubota 1.6, Yamaha 150......etc)....Then reality set in...... this boat was the one I originally wanted, but it had the 300 instead of a "legendary 150", BUT..... it's there.......it's rigged.... and it's ready to go.

Finally the wife got tired of me going back and forth and said. "Just by the "F'ing thing, and lets go fishing."

Well the rest is history......(except for the whole "Holy Sh!t......You spent "How much on a Fish Finder?')

Different thread I guess.................lol

Luckily, you won't need that extended warranty.....after all, it's a Yamaha.

I thought I was a Yamaha fan, but this guy might actually have Yamalube coursing through his veins....LOL

op

See you out on the water!!!!!
What prop are you running on your boat? The F150XB has a Reliance Series 14-1/4 x 17 RH and I'm thinking that a Saltwater Series II 15-1/2 x 17 RH would be a good choice for the V6. Yamaha's prop selector app doesn't have anything for the 200hp SHO motor.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What prop are you running on your boat? The F150XB has a Reliance Series 14-1/4 x 17 RH and I'm thinking that a Saltwater Series II 15-1/2 x 17 RH would be a good choice for the V6. Yamaha's prop selector app doesn't have anything for the 200hp SHO motor.
Here is what I'm running.

I have never "played" with it. Thats what it came with.

Flat calm, and "balls out", it hits 62 mph which is "way fast enough for me"....(But don't tell the old lady that......hahahah.)

Some "Bass Guys" play with theirs and I "hear tell" that 72+ mph, depending on the boat, is not uncommon, depending on motor, conditions, hull shape..etc

But I'm a simple "Great Lakes Walleye" guy, or an "inland lake Perch guy".....with his wife, (BTW....whom is not afraid to shout at "The Captain"............. "Slow the f_ck down, NOW!!!!!!......"

So much for "Captains Rank" I guess................

I am however, the "Admiral of Navigation"......and she NEVER bitches about that.....LOLOLOLOL

1000007453.jpg
1000007454.jpg

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Your not alone one the obsession that’s for sure. Installed lights to my boat last winter outa boredom. Didn’t get out very much as my business and other life stuff got in the way. This spring and summer will be different that’s for sure. With the way the weather has been this year i could have probably not even put it away. Never seen so little ice on Huron and Georgian Bay in my life. Won’t be a long wait this year I don’t think. Enjoy the new upgrades I’m sure your gonna love the more HP

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Your not alone one the obsession that’s for sure. Installed lights to my boat last winter outa boredom. Didn’t get out very much as my business and other life stuff got in the way. This spring and summer will be different that’s for sure. With the way the weather has been this year i could have probably not even put it away. Never seen so little ice on Huron and Georgian Bay in my life. Won’t be a long wait this year I don’t think. Enjoy the new upgrades I’m sure your gonna love the more HP

Those are cool lights man.

Do you fish at night with them? If so, can you see the line?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My boat has some sexy lighting like that but I haven't been out on the lake after dark yet to see how bright it is. This year perhaps.

Even with the all the upgrades that I'm doing, the overall cost is tens of thousands of dollars less than buying a new Robalo R200 that would come with nothing like the features I'm adding.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well hell, I sold my old Bayliner to put a down payment on a new HD, and now Im too old and busted up to ride and I kinda do miss the boat

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
mcmxi,
I'll have to show you the boat I'll be working on getting in the water for a friend this year.
Ex navy tug, 250 HP 850lbs of torque 671 2 stroke diesel pushing a 20" prop.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don’t know anything about boats, but guessing my prospective SIL is “angling” for a larger fishing boat.

He just bought a Ford F-350 diesel dually to haul one…..😉. I can see that next step…

This is his current one. Has a slip Santa Cruz, California, and he takes it out quite a way into the Pacific.

IMG_5975.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
mcmxi,
I'll have to show you the boat I'll be working on getting in the water for a friend this year.
Now......THAT's my kinda boat.
Had a 44' DeFever trawler for 11 years.
A pair of 20" props.

Been all the way from the tip of the Keys to Canada, and back, and many times to the Bahamas.
IMHO, a boat is not a real boat, unless it is diesel powered, with 900 gallons of fuel, has a 12K diesel generator, 2 refrigerators, an icemaker, a freezer, and is fully airconditioned.

I do not miss the bills, but I do miss the boat!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi,
That would be great! I'll head your way this summer for sure.

I spent more than two weeks on a tug in the Pacific, chasing a Chinese freighter that was taking on a lot of water. We boarded via a rope ladder hung over the stern at 11 at night in rough seas. We were eventually taken off the ship by the USCG who boarded the vessel with weapons. The ship got diverted to Honolulu where it went into dry dock. It was a real mess but I made a lot of money on that trip.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Real boats come with a state of the art navigational system! This Arctic Tern
hitched a ride with me while out flyfishing a couple summers ago. He even perched on top of my head for a while. Casting and landing fish never bothered him in the least. Amazing that they travel from the Antarctica to the Arctic and back every year.
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2256.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
lived on a boat for a while when I were a kid. Just a 25' carver, 250" Chevy I6. 20 mph I think, tops. Dad rarely was over maybe 12-15mph with it, for good reason. The river was, dangerous. Since dad owned a boat repair place, I got to see a lot of "victims" of the river...outdrives, props, shafts, hulls. Watched a man and a woman get throwed about 40 foot or so when their IMP (21 foot) exploded. Didn't ventilate the bilge, had gas fumes, they hit the key and it went boom. Big boom at that. Won't ever forget that. Mom took our boat by herself and picked them up out of the river.

Spent a summer running up & down the missouri river, 1986 or 1987 as I remember, quite a bit of that with my uncle-who was, ironically, a maintenance man on the USCGC Gasconade. He worked mostly in maintenance onboard. Dual cat D353's, 600hp each. 6-71 ran the generator. Before he killed himself with alcohol in I think 2004 or 2005, he was sharing pics, me as a kid standing next to a running 6-71 (I think that's what it was?) down in the belly of that thing. They had her dry docked the last time I was out there, her screws had to be a good 30" diameter. And those are small by comparison to some of the other stuff he got to play with. During her restoration at Mobile, he was on the USS Alabama for a minute. 1958-1962 I think he said. Alabama's screws are I think about 7 FEET in diameter (x2). 16,000 shaft horsepower for each one...top speed about 30 mph as I remember my uncle saying. I've been on her, and to think that giant piece of armored STEEL, with her size, can actually achieve 30 mph is beyond mind boggling. I'm perfectly fine at 25mph in my little Jon boat, thank you.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That's really funny, and sadly so true! :LOL: I've never understood the mindset behind abandoning things in the woods. That said, we'd probably have a lot fewer "will it start" YouTube videos if people disposed of things properly. Who knew that those videos would become such a thing?
I keep telling people that I have buried treasure on the property, so the bidding will be higher when the place goes up for auction. Wait till they start finding all those Chinese and Japanese sockets in the ground.

• Haha

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I agree, love the Kubota but love the boat a bit more!
20230903_190120.jpeg

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
got to talking about boats yesterday, this morning at 0400 when I got up and fed the animals, I walked past my little jon boat and thought, ya know, today'd be a good day to go fishing.

Got to the ramp at 0800, fished til 1600. Got a lil tan, and some sunburn. I hate sunburn but I'm fair skinned and I get them no matter how much SPF70 I put on.

Ended up bringing home a limit of crappie, almost all of them pretty small (10" give or take) and one was 13". Nothing worth taking pics of. Cleaned em and tossed a bunch in the freezer. Left 4 of em out, gave them a bath in hot oil and added some mashed taters, green beans, great northern beans, cornbread.

Had a paying customer with me, knew nothing about fishing. He learned pretty quickly but was ready to go back to the ramp by noon. I think he was getting a little seasick. Didn't seem to bother him for a lot of the morning. We moved to another spot on the lake and started getting into the LM bass, fun but not worth keeping. He asked me how deep we were fishing, I told him about 18 foot, sitting in 77 feet of water. I could tell he was getting uncomfortable knowing it was 77 feet deep right there, but I didn't tell him it was well over 100 foot where we were at before. Sometimes I think people are odd, but then I have to remind myself that we are all different. When I was young, the Missouri river was HUGE and DEEP--all 8-15 foot deep. If it's over my head, it's deep. Moved here, started fishin on my own and found a few spots that were 140-150 FOW. After while you get used to it. Fished offshore a few years back, 610', still relatively shallow but we caught fish and lots of them. I didn't realize how much DIFFERENT offshore fishing is than fishing in the little lake here. Biggest thing is that you have no reference, the sun and moon and that's IT. On the lake you have land in all directions, only a few spots does it start to get "big", but you can still see the hills. I got a little queezy offshore because there's no reference. Thank goodness for Bonine.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here is what I'm running.

I have never "played" with it. Thats what it came with.

Flat calm, and "balls out", it hits 62 mph which is "way fast enough for me"....(But don't tell the old lady that......hahahah.)

Some "Bass Guys" play with theirs and I "hear tell" that 72+ mph, depending on the boat, is not uncommon, depending on motor, conditions, hull shape..etc

But I'm a simple "Great Lakes Walleye" guy, or an "inland lake Perch guy".....with his wife, (BTW....whom is not afraid to shout at "The Captain"............. "Slow the f_ck down, NOW!!!!!!......"

So much for "Captains Rank" I guess................

I am however, the "Admiral of Navigation"......and she NEVER bitches about that.....LOLOLOLOL

View attachment 123308 View attachment 123311
I ordered the new motor last week and after going round and round decided on a Saltwater Series II 15.25 x 18 prop. I'm going to build an engine stand out of some old I-beam I have and hang the 150hp motor on that to keep it out of the way. I'll put casters on the underside so that I can roll it around the garage.