L2950 GST Won't start (((new-be)))

hapedog1

Equipment
L2950
Apr 28, 2010
Rantoul il
Ran great , then one day turned the key to start it , and nothing. New key switch and start relay. Fuses all OK. Pulled battery ground strap , cleaned it and engine block where it was attached. The lights do come on , on the dash. I have found two safety switches , the PTO , and the shifter , checked OK. I pushed down real hard on the clutch peddle , still nothing. If there is a micro switch for the clutch peddle, does anyone no where it is. One other thing is , that the temp guage needle is pegged , which was not like that before.
If anyone has a suggestions (((PLEASE , PLEASE Help me ,this is driving me crazy. I sure it is something simple, I hope. Thank you Good Day.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had trouble one time with my L 3000 not starting. Some times it would fire right up. The next time it wouldn't. I did quite a bit of cussing and I think I may have even called it junk.
It turned out to be the shifter switch. It wasn't bad but I had to hold back on the shifter to get it to start.
If my PTO shifter is up just a little it does the same.
It seems that the switches are very touchy.

hapedog1

Equipment
L2950
Apr 28, 2010
Rantoul il
Thanks Bulldog. I wonder if I should by pass the switches. I understand where your coming from , as for being pissed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll probably catch some grief about this but I did bypass the safety switch on the shifter. Go ahead guys, let me have it.

I did away with the little plastic piece that attached the switch to the high/low shifter and used a splice connector to complete the circuit. I chose to do it this way so the integrity of the wiring harness wouldn't be compromised. I even wrapped it with tape so there would be no chance it would ground out.

hapedog1

Equipment
L2950
Apr 28, 2010
Rantoul il
Bulldog thanks again for your help. I've stayed away from the tractor for a couple of days , so that I won't do any damage. I'm gonna try some stuff this weekend.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
That is some good advice from Bulldog.

After reading the problems I noticed the temp gauge is pegged. I don't know much about this machine but If the engine is cold and hasn't been running than it's obviously not really hot.

But I wonder if there is an inhibitor that prevents the engine from being started in an over heat condition. Maybe you have a bad temp sensor or shorted wires.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I am kinda thinking like trailduster. Remember just because the headlights come on doesnt mean the battery is not bad or not charged enough. You may have a short in the temp gauge and the battery be discharged. check both of those may want to take battery off and take to autozone,napa and have it checked.Good luck handy

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
DONT do like I did and rewire the damn thing backasswards. I made the mistake of replaceing the terminal leads from the tractor to the battery. For two years I had what I thought was the ground battery lead bolted on the frame, which ended up I had the positive side as the ground. It would run if I jumpstarted the tractor. So tripple and quadruple check the leads and see where they go.

hapedog1

Equipment
L2950
Apr 28, 2010
Rantoul il
Thanks Eric , I'll look at that this morning. I'm glad I found and register with Orange tractor talks. You are a GOOD bunch of people.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Don't beat yourself up too bad for that Eric, We have all done something like that. Some of us more than once. On topic. Electric heat gauge? Short??? Good luck hapedog1. Keep us posted.:D Dusty

hapedog1

Equipment
L2950
Apr 28, 2010
Rantoul il
Hello everyone. ((((GOOD NEWS)))) I tried everything you suggested, still won't start. I took the instrument panel apart , and cleaned it up. I moved the temp needle back to normal. If you recall it was pegged. I turn the key . and it started. I was watching the needle, and it started removing up again. I pulled the wire off the water temp senor , the needle stopped moving. The engine starts every time. YES , YES , YES .So there must be a safety circuit on the temp guage. Hell of a deal.
I want to thank all of you for your suggestion.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Hello everyone. ((((GOOD NEWS)))) I tried everything you suggested, still won't start. I took the instrument panel apart , and cleaned it up. I moved the temp needle back to normal. If you recall it was pegged. I turn the key . and it started. I was watching the needle, and it started removing up again. I pulled the wire off the water temp senor , the needle stopped moving. The engine starts every time. YES , YES , YES .So there must be a safety circuit on the temp guage. Hell of a deal.
I want to thank all of you for your suggestion.

Well, congratulations on your findings :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This is a perfect example of following up on all the little things before doing something drastic. Some times it's something small that causes a big head ache.

Glad you got your tractor running again.