Kubota Slapped With 11M Fine

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
What about products that are more dangerous than supposedly dangerous product they replaced? Fuel cans are 10x more accident prone than those earlier.
As a kid that came up in the ol skateboard era ( steel wheels at first) We would get ahold of the mail truck or the UPS truck and as he drove up the street we would grab that back handrail and ride up the street without the driver even knowing - yeah we were dumb kids....

but I don't think I will ever see a sticker on the back of a UPS truck that says " no free skateboard rides allowed"

IF WE all go back that tell stories of the stupid asinine things we did as kids - hell, all of us would be millionaires!!!

Remember placing Billy on the steel trash can AFTER dropping the lit M80 in the can watching him rise up??? OK - maybe ya'll didnt do that stuff we did! :ROFLMAO:

However - stupid is still king, and somehow WE"LL all pay for it!!!

(On a side note = I cant wait to hear other crazy stories of younger days!)
85Hokie we made sure safty measures were in place before engaging in games. Take our Catapult Game for instance. We made certain there were no overhead power lines or anything that might bump heads and a soft landing not likely to break anything. Our group that ranged from 2 to 5 boys depending on how many were grounded on any given day would spontaneously begin climbing, pulling limbs on a tall sapling tree on a 10-20 foot bank overlooking Red River. Naturally the new kid joined in and as the tree top neared the ground someone would instruct new kid to straddle and sit on trunk near top. On que everyone let go causing tree to spring upright throwing new kid far out into the river.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And this is why we have warning labels on tide pods

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just keep this in mind, Kubota is paying the judgment, but eventually, it will come out of all of our pockets. They will raise prices on machines and parts to make up for the loss. It is no different when municipalities and states tax businesses, the business passes those taxes onto the consumer. Sometimes business takes a different course and decides that they don't want to screw the customer with the higher taxes, so they just shut down, and both the town and the customers lose. The United States is one of the few countries that tax businesses more than they tax the consumer because it is popular to put it to the business. A business doesn't collect social security when it decides it is time to retire, or send children to school. The only services that businesses use are fire and police protection. They do use the roads, and their trucks pay higher road taxes than the cars on the roads. Other countries tax the people who use all the government services higher than they tax the businesses, and this keeps prices lower for the people who buy from these businesses. I only wish that in the past 50+ years, our education system taught the children how to think, and that history was part of that thinking process. Instead, education today thinks that sports are more important than learning. This is the reason that the rest of the world has better-educated children overall Kids graduating high school today can't read cursive writing, can't write in cursive, and can barely sign their name on a piece of paper. They know nothing about the history of our nation, and even less about the world that they live in. We are becoming a nation of morons as a result.

Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Once again the criminal profits......
..and the lawyers of course..

reminds me of the 12 year old kid, KNOWINGLY, illegally riding his motorcycle on private posted land, breaks a leg, dad sues and they got a huge settlement

In the near future ,I can see needing to sign a legal waiver that whatever we buy can hurt or kill us. Course, that waiver will be 'null and void' in any court of law. Literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
…. How do you angry fellows see Texas Gov. Greg Abbott…who jogged down a sidewalk which had a WARNING Sign that told him not to walk beneath the rotten tree that men are cuttng down because it is dangerous and can fall on you…. but Greg Abbott did so anyway…and the tree put him in a wheelchair and he sued the homeowner and the tree service company winning $M‘s worth of monthly payments for the rest of his life.
After Greg Abbott became Gov of Tx…he signed law Blocking such lawsuit winnings for others.
^^^^^

Where did you come up with this information?

Everything I can find on the accident indicates the tree (along with others) had been inspected 2-3 years prior and the tree company simply recommended 'fertilization' despite recognizing some basal decay in the tree. Even the owner of the home said "he didn't blame Abbott for suing".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just keep this in mind, Kubota is paying the judgment, but eventually, it will come out of all of our pockets. They will raise prices on machines and parts to make up for the loss. It is no different when municipalities and states tax businesses, the business passes those taxes onto the consumer. Sometimes business takes a different course and decides that they don't want to screw the customer with the higher taxes, so they just shut down, and both the town and the customers lose. The United States is one of the few countries that tax businesses more than they tax the consumer because it is popular to put it to the business. A business doesn't collect social security when it decides it is time to retire, or send children to school. The only services that businesses use are fire and police protection. They do use the roads, and their trucks pay higher road taxes than the cars on the roads. Other countries tax the people who use all the government services higher than they tax the businesses, and this keeps prices lower for the people who buy from these businesses. I only wish that in the past 50+ years, our education system taught the children how to think, and that history was part of that thinking process. Instead, education today thinks that sports are more important than learning. This is the reason that the rest of the world has better-educated children overall Kids graduating high school today can't read cursive writing, can't write in cursive, and can barely sign their name on a piece of paper. They know nothing about the history of our nation, and even less about the world that they live in. We are becoming a nation of morons as a result.
I think I agree with what you're saying, but I sure wish thoughts were divided by paragraphs! It's hard to read and frustrating to follow so I read a sentence here and there and go on.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Texas no longer teaches “history”…. if it includes any information about “diversity”… because of the politicians who think as your post suggests.
”Education today…” has been DUMBED-DOWN by conservative political movements who DON’T KNOW their own History …of being on the WRONG SIDE of History…. THROUGHOUT History.

Kubota likely paid for insurance premiums….which they will continue to purchase…. having little-to-no influence on future product pricing due to the simple fact that Kubota USA is in a free marketplace.

”The United States is one of the few countries….. yadda yadda yadda…” No, my friend. The US is one of the countries which offers the MOST tax advantages to the Rich and Wealthy and the Corporations which are treated as “Individuals”…. instead of the For-Profit Operators they are.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think I agree with what you're saying, but I sure wish thoughts were divided by paragraphs! It's hard to read and frustrating to follow so I read a sentence here and there and go on.
I think that Covid fried my brain because I agree with you, but my mind doesn't see it when I am typing. I think that the best thing to do is take a vacation and rest.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
^^^^^

Where did you come up with this information?

Everything I can find on the accident indicates the tree (along with others) had been inspected 2-3 years prior and the tree company simply recommended 'fertilization' despite recognizing some basal decay in the tree. Even the owner of the home said "he didn't blame Abbott for suing".

You either did not read or did not comprehend the article you referenced.

Firstly, this was not a jury-trial such as this thread addresses…it was an out-of-court-settlement (funded by, and which followed the insurance co. policy).

Another example: The homeowner “Moore said he never thought — and still does not think — that he had any liability. He also believes he would have won the case had it gone to trial.”

Not to mention the opening sentence: “Since Greg Abbott received a settlement following his 1984 accident, lawmakers have erected hurdles for lawsuits in personal injury cases. There is disagreement about whether Abbott could get a similar settlement now.”

As for my comment re: the warning sign…. the election in which Mr. Abbott initiated his campaign for Gov provided that comment and was what I relied upon when making the post. I will attempt to relocate that reference.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I think that Covid fried my brain because I agree with you, but my mind doesn't see it when I am typing. I think that the best thing to do is take a vacation and rest.
I'm glad you're doing better. I'd say when a thought changes just hit your "Enter" key and you'll jump down a space!! ;) ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee..maybe I should sue my neighbour, as his known bad tree broke in half during the big wind 2 nights and destroyed my mini dump trailer ?? Good news is it MISSED my 8by16 cedar shed !
Sure I can win but.... then I'd lose my 'free steel dumpster diving' !

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup I could have had a hayday with kubota. One unit didn't have any kind of warning sticker. I knew there was a fan in there. Customer's complaint: Makes noise. Engine running, found a piece of rubber trim touching the fan. I grab it (I know...and I knew it was risky at the time) and pulled, fan grabbed it and pulled back, pulled my hand right in. 26 stitches later I'm fine but to this day it still bothers me. Rep was in a few days later and I told him about it and he laughed and said you idiot. Well he wasn't wrong. LOL!

these kinds of suits are one of many reasons why things cost as much as they do....all I'm saying.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
^^^^^

Please do....as your post reads as yet another 'dig' by you to disparage Republicans/Conservatives/Elected officials anyway you can.
Regardless of the presence of tree-warning signs or no…… the disparagement of R/C s is appropriate, IMO. If the shoe fits wear it.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Regardless of the presence of tree-warning signs or no…… the disparagement of R/C s is appropriate, IMO. If the shoe fits wear it.
Respectfully, it amounts to a gross mis-characterization of the event.

I am not accusing you of purposely doing that (perhaps you simply had bad information). But it makes a BIG difference with respect to what actually took place.

A person innocently jogging along a path that both the land owner and tree company KNEW harbored a compromised tree was injured (paralyzed for life) when the tree collapsed at just the wrong time.

Vs. your depiction of a reckless individual ignoring warning signs (not present) about a tree being cut down (also not correct). Paints quite a different picture, does it not?

I get that you despise Gov. Abbott (which is your privilege), but certainly a modicum of intellectual honesty is due on your part.

It seems that both sides of the political spectrum are all too eager to launch venomous attacks these days. Very sad.

If the lawsuit in this case were so wholly unjustified and without merit, then I suspect the landowner and tree company would not have settled considering the final costs. I believe they correctly surmised....a jury might have awarded even more.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My own contribution on the subject of personal responsibility.

I worked for many years in the engineering dept of a high end Class A Motor-home Manufacturer.

In the mid 90's the company was successfully sued by an owner when his wife was burned by a pot of hot beans left cooking on a counter.

The situation was as such:

The wife placed a Crock-Pot of beans on the kitchen counter to simmer and cook. The husband begins to drive the motor-home. The wife makes no effort to secure the pot of beans and lays down on the sofa, the foot of which abuts the kitchen sink and counter.

During the drive....the husband is forced to make a hasty stop, which results in the crock-pot sliding across the counter until it reached the end of its 3 foot cord. Some of the contents (hot beans and juices) sloshed out and onto the Wife's leg burning her significantly.

It was judged that since there was an electrical outlet at the counter top, it was 'possible' for someone to do just what the owners did.

Never mind the outlet was nearly 4' from the sofa/seating area or that any 'thinking' person would know to store ANY items capable of moving BEFORE transit. Or that cooking of any type on a stove top or counter top while MOVING would naturally present a hazard.

It was a jury trial and somehow 12 people were persuaded that it was the motor-home manufacturer's responsibility to make sure the consumer could not possibly injure themselves (or others) because of poor decision making.

A multi-million dollar award followed. And no....'electrical' was not MY dept. in case anyone is wondering. But where does personal responsibility begin and end these days?

I know 'Common Sense' has been dying a lingering death for decades now....but sheeesh!

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
My own contribution on the subject of personal responsibility.

I worked for many years in the engineering dept of a high end Class A Motor-home Manufacturer.

In the mid 90's the company was successfully sued by an owner when his wife was burned by a pot of hot beans left cooking on a counter.

The situation was as such:

The wife placed a Crock-Pot of beans on the kitchen counter to simmer and cook. The husband begins to drive the motor-home. The wife makes no effort to secure the pot of beans and lays down on the sofa, the foot of which abuts the kitchen sink and counter.

During the drive....the husband is forced to make a hasty stop, which results in the crock-pot sliding across the counter until it reached the end of its 3 foot cord. Some of the contents (hot beans and juices) sloshed out and onto the Wife's leg burning her significantly.

It was judged that since there was an electrical outlet at the counter top, it was 'possible' for someone to do just what the owners did.

Never mind the outlet was nearly 4' from the sofa/seating area or that any 'thinking' person would know to store ANY items capable of moving BEFORE transit. Or that cooking of any type on a stove top or counter top while MOVING would naturally present a hazard.

It was a jury trial and somehow 12 people were persuaded that it was the motor-home manufacturer's responsibility to make sure the consumer could not possibly injure themselves (or others) because of poor decision making.

A multi-million dollar award followed. And no....'electrical' was not MY dept. in case anyone is wondering. But where does personal responsibility begin and end these days?

I know 'Common Sense' has been dying a lingering death for decades now....but sheeesh!
Common sense is dying because of decision like the suit you posted. Folks need to be allowed to make decisions, good and bad, so they can learn from them and be responsible for the results. Then next time they make a decision they will have some background to base their choices off of. As life goes on they get better (and better) at their choices.

Common sense is learner, we're not born with it!!