Kubota BX23--Locked up Front Wheels

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
Hello All! Banging my head on this one and need your advice! Got tractor moved for the winter. Went to go move it to use to move snow and front wheels are all locked up. Checked fluids and both sides took about 1/4 of a quart. Still solidly locked. Back wheels do turn so I wouldn't think 4x4 stuck? When we parked it it ran and drove just fine....we did hit a -18 degrees for about 3 days so not sure if this could be part of it but has since warmed up and still stuck....any help is appreciated!

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Are you dragging the front wheels around on the ground or at they frozen to where to you parked the tractor?

Use the bucket to lift the front wheels in the air and try to rotate each tire independently and report back if one or both still don't spin.

Reactions: 1 users

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
Are you dragging the front wheels around on the ground or at they frozen to where to you parked the tractor?

Use the bucket to lift the front wheels in the air and try to rotate each tire independently and report back if one or both still don't spin.
Both sides are frozen. I have it jacked up right now and neither side will turn. Pulled one wheel and tried to manually turn the hub but nothing. Don't want to take a crow bar to it quite yet.....

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
Both sides are frozen. I have it jacked up right now and neither side will turn. Pulled one wheel and tried to manually turn the hub but nothing. Don't want to take a crow bar to it quite yet.....

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Moisture in the lube? When churned, water will often form an emulsion with gear lube or oil. But when it sits, the water tends to settle out and then it can freeze. Any chance you can apply some heat to things for a few hours? Such as an electric heat trace cable wrapped around the outside of the casting. I may have warmed up outside, but it takes a while to thaw ice inside a casting.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Can you heat the front axle and see if it makes a difference? My first thought is also water in the axle that's frozen. Use a blower heater, for instance.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I just looked at your weather forecast for Kettle Falls, WA, and the 10-day weather forecast says you are not going to be out of the freezing weather till tomorrow when the temperatures are supposed to go up into the high 30s and low 40s and it will be moving upward into the high 40s starting on the 28th. Given this, unless you have a project planned for the tractor, it would be best to let it warm naturally. Once it thaws out, drain both sides and leave the drains out for at least 24 hours. I would pull the plugs now and as the water drains out, collect it in 2 tubs. Then put fresh lubricant in and run the tractor for an hour to fully circulate the lubricant. I would fill it with Super UDT2 for the best cold-weather protection. If after an hour running, check the differential oil level and make sure that it isn't milky looking. If it is, then drain it again and start over. Once the unit is drained, you might be able to use some warmth to dry out the inside of the casting. You can open the top of the left side, by pulling out the plastic dipstick which will allow the oil to flow more freely.

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If they do actually have moisture in them that has frozen DO NOT keep forcing them to move. If you do, you are likely to break something that will be expensive. It doesn’t take much water accumulated in just the right spot, when frozen, to stop the front end from turning. Your best option is to either wait for a warm up or to find a space heater to borrow or rent. Put the heater blowing on the axle and let it warm up.

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA

Moisture in the lube? When churned, water will often form an emulsion with gear lube or oil. But when it sits, the water tends to settle out and then it can freeze. Any chance you can apply some heat to things for a few hours? Such as an electric heat trace cable wrapped around the outside of the casting. I may have warmed up outside, but it takes a while to thaw ice inside a casting.
Yea I am just reaching for straws here. not positive water is in the front axle or not. May drain the lube to see.

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
I just looked at your weather forecast for Kettle Falls, WA, and the 10-day weather forecast says you are not going to be out of the freezing weather till tomorrow when the temperatures are supposed to go up into the high 30s and low 40s and it will be moving upward into the high 40s starting on the 28th. Given this, unless you have a project planned for the tractor, it would be best to let it warm naturally. Once it thaws out, drain both sides and leave the drains out for at least 24 hours. I would pull the plugs now and as the water drains out, collect it in 2 tubs. Then put fresh lubricant in and run the tractor for an hour to fully circulate the lubricant. I would fill it with Super UDT2 for the best cold-weather protection. If after an hour running, check the differential oil level and make sure that it isn't milky looking. If it is, then drain it again and start over. Once the unit is drained, you might be able to use some warmth to dry out the inside of the casting. You can open the top of the left side, by pulling out the plastic dipstick which will allow the oil to flow more freely.
So the lubricant for the front axle circulates? I did not know that!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Yes, it circulates in the housing as the gears in the axle spin. Get out to the tractor and start draining. It is warm now, and tonight the temperatures are going to drop. You can stay inside and read the forums or you can go out and start to fix the problem, but it isn't going to go away on its own. It will eventually thaw, but that might not be till April.

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
Yes, it circulates in the housing as the gears in the axle spin. Get out to the tractor and start draining. It is warm now, and tonight the temperatures are going to drop. You can stay inside and read the forums or you can go out and start to fix the problem, but it isn't going to go away on its own. It will eventually thaw, but that might not be till April.
Thank you DustyRusty! So right on staying in and reading forums! Get it done!!! Will let you know what I find out....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
friend has skidsteer, no left drive...opened cover and saw a frozen muddy lake where the OIL was supposed to be. took him 1/2 day to get SS into his garage, a DAY to melt and drain the glacier,then 'dewater' the 'sump', and of course drive 40 miles to get more oil.....

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
friend has skidsteer, no left drive...opened cover and saw a frozen muddy lake where the OIL was supposed to be. took him 1/2 day to get SS into his garage, a DAY to melt and drain the glacier,then 'dewater' the 'sump', and of course drive 40 miles to get more oil.....
Oh jeez.....not sure if this has water in it or not but going to drain to make sure. Could be differential but not sure yet

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First do you have a BX23S or the older BX23D?

Water settles and freezes in the gear cases not the differential.
And locks up the gears in the cases.
DO NOT FORCE THEM TO MOVE!

Both have gear case drains in the same places.
open the plugs and see if you have water in the cases.
If you pull the plug and nothing comes out, you need to heat the cases.
Replace with new UDT or SUDT2.

1706210049735.png

BX23D Dipstick and fill

1706210339676.png

BX23S Dipstick and fill.

1706210267984.png

Last edited:

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
First do you have a BX23S or the older BX23D?

Water settles and freezes in the gear cases not the differential.
And locks up the gears in the cases.
DO NOT FORCE THEM TO MOVE!

Both have gear case drains in the same places.
open the plugs and see if you have water in the cases.
If you pull the plug and nothing comes out, you need to heat the cases.
Replace with new UDT or SUDT2.

View attachment 121074

BX23D Dipstick and fill

View attachment 121076

BX23S Dipstick and fill.

View attachment 121075
Thank you for this!! I am not sure? Says BX23MLB on one part of the tractor. Little sub compact with the mower...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's easier than you think for water to get in. Fill plug not snug, vent not snug, condensation ,over time,drip by drip water gets in..never leaves unless you do a complete flush and fill. How old is this tractor ? 5-10-15 years ? More than enough time for lots of water to get in !

Curious though, have you disconnected the front drive shaft ?

If yes, do the front wheels move ?
If YES, then not a front axle problem, 'something' in the 4WD selection/gear box is 'bung up'.

If NO, then it probably is ice in the front axle. Only way to remove, LOTS of heat, gently applied. While oil does float on water, if there's enough or it 'flash froze' , the whole axle casing, including diff gears could be frozen.

My hunch is ice in the axle,so heat it up, flush it out, twice, then fill.