Irrigation line pipe puller

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
I used the search engine to see if I could find a thread on an attachment to install irrigation lines about 8" under the ground and came up empty.

I have several hundred feet of lines to run around my two acres and would like to rig up a 3pth implement to feed 1" lines without trenching. Any suggestions or implements you have used or purchased?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I used the search engine to see if I could find a thread on an attachment to install irrigation lines about 8" under the ground and came up empty.

I have several hundred feet of lines to run around my two acres and would like to rig up a 3pth implement to feed 1" lines without trenching. Any suggestions or implements you have used or purchased?
It would probably be more economical to rent something like this for a few days

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSn9JKnzPk

Corney

Equipment

Corney

Equipment
It would probably be more economical to rent something like this for a few days

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSn9JKnzPk
Daren that is some great advise!

Unfortunately I am stubborn and stupid sometimes? Just ask my bride, she'll tell you!

My neighbour and partner in this tractor also has a bunch to run as well we have about 20 lots in our subdivision that are being developed all about now. We kind of share equipment and help each other out with resources. This way we don't all have to buy this equipment and we are all bringing the property values of each other's place up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Actually, in this case my advise was bad. Looks like you can buy a three point hitch subsoiler in the states for 125$. Looks like no mechanical parts so if you hit a tree root or boulder it might stop you. But if your l1501 has the creeper gears as well as the 4wd it should be a little tank and go slow enough that you can have someone monitor the pipe easy enough

Corney

Equipment
That bad boy is geared so low I could operate the tractor and feed the pipe myself:eek:

But that would take all the fun out of me sitting on the tractor watching my wife fight with that 1" line!

Until I laugh and she beats me down with the 1" line?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That bad boy is geared so low I could operate the tractor and feed the pipe myself:eek:

But that would take all the fun out of me sitting on the tractor watching my wife fight with that 1" line!

Until I laugh and she beats me down with the 1" line?

them thar are the pictures we want to see!!!:D:D:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Are you talking about the tractor creeping or the missus schooling him on the finer points of working together :D:D
you have heard, "up your nose with a rubber hose"

- I want to see the 1" pipe being swung at his ......well you get the "picture" :D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
"Laying the pipe with his wife" all over the subdivision. Does that mean it's fertile ground?

The jokes are going to go on and on for years and years with his beer buddies.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Looks like an easy tool to build. Had an excavator in the yard to fix my deep buried water line, turned in to a major problem when we hit the power cable for the pumphouse. Sparks everywhere. Found the water line,though.moral of the story- make sure there are no buried cables, power or telephone.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Looks like an easy tool to build. Had an excavator in the yard to fix my deep buried water line, turned in to a major problem when we hit the power cable for the pumphouse. Sparks everywhere. Found the water line,though.moral of the story- make sure there are no buried cables, power or telephone.
and Sewer lines

So how does one find out where these things are buried?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
and Sewer lines

So how does one find out where these things are buried?
The best way to find a underground sewer line is to send a sewer camera down it. Rigid makes one that has a locator and has a wand to find it. They work great and will even tell you the depth +/- a few inches. Some rental outfits rent them or call a sewer cleaning company, it's well worth a few hundred bucks.

About 8 years ago we tried out using ground sonar. To make a long story short it was useless. When the guy sold the service to us he guaranteed he would be able to map an underground drain system. You couldn't tell the difference between a rock and a pipe on his read out and it took him all day to find nothing. The next day we called in a sewer outfit, in 2 hours had the whole thing mapped out and even found a few bad pipes.

Dig Safe should be able to find any underground wires. Gas lines and water lines need a tracer wire to be able to find them.

Last edited:

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
You can "Witch" for waterlines and even sewer lines if they have water in them. All you need is two 3 foot pieces of 9 gauge wire or even coat hangers. Bend them into an "L" shape and and hold one, loosely in each hand, point them in front of you. Walk across the area you are going to want to dig and the wires will turn and cross where there is a water line.

No this isn't witchcraft or black magic. My family has been using this method for years to locate waterlines. In college, I had a geology teacher ask if anyone has heard about this and I had to raise my hand. Later that week, I took her and the whole 150 student class outside and "Witched" the sprinkler lines for her. Then I had to do it with my eyes closed. She reluctantly believed me.

Here is a resource:
http://www.self-reliance-works.com/witching-for-water-lines-and-electric-lines/

But it does work, never have hit a waterline when digging at my house.

Jay

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You'll see a lot of sub-soilers with a pipe sweep welded onto the back of their main shaft to do just this job. Welding up an reel holder to go above it is also a good time saver. You can put an eyelet on the top of your ROPS and put the reel system in the FEL for large reels and run the line up over the top of the tractor, that's if you are going to be doing this A LOT! :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
jrslick,, and I bet you cant wear a wrist watch either cause it stops