Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
View attachment 71529

View attachment 71528

View attachment 71530

Well, I did get 3 coils of stamps in the mail.

Friggin things were triple-wrapped. The rolls were crushed some.

The tracking of the shipment started in California

While they look real, I’m no expert.

I think I’m going to take a few into the Post Office and see if they can confirm if they’re genuine.

I did some further research on-line and counterfeit seems to be somewhat common.

I found retailers of similar packages on Etsy, eBay and many others.

I’m still not optimistic, but I did get something in the mail…. I really expected a wad of cancelled postage.
I think checking with the post office would be a good move. Try to document it somehow.

Document everything, just in case.

Would hate to see you go to prison for using something you thought were valid, when actually counterfit.

Stranger things have happened.

Be careful.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
View attachment 71529

View attachment 71528

View attachment 71530

Well, I did get 3 coils of stamps in the mail.

Friggin things were triple-wrapped. The rolls were crushed some.

The tracking of the shipment started in California

While they look real, I’m no expert.

I think I’m going to take a few into the Post Office and see if they can confirm if they’re genuine.

I did some further research on-line and counterfeit seems to be somewhat common.

I found retailers of similar packages on Etsy, eBay and many others.

I’m still not optimistic, but I did get something in the mail…. I really expected a wad of cancelled postage.
I think you got what you ordered.

Dan

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think you got what you ordered.

Dan
Dan - - that was your original prediction.

It may very well be true to your prediction. They certainly look legit. I'll try to confirm their authenticity.

Instead of saying I'm no expert, I wanted to say I'm no philatelist.... :unsure:

I didn't want to get banned for bad words....😲

30 years ago, a coworker was dealing with his/our supervisors....in the conversation, he said "that will only exacerbate the situation."

His supervisor hollered "HEY, we don't talk like that here!!!":oops:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

I got scammed on the Russian bride thing, they shipped alright, but forgot to poke holes in the box.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan - - that was your original prediction.

It may very well be true to your prediction. They certainly look legit. I'll try to confirm their authenticity.

Instead of saying I'm no expert, I wanted to say I'm no philatelist.... :unsure:

I didn't want to get banned for bad words....😲

30 years ago, a coworker was dealing with his/our supervisors....in the conversation, he said "that will only exacerbate the situation."

His supervisor hollered "HEY, we don't talk like that here!!!":oops:
It was.

And your coworker was lucky. I am pretty sure exacerbation is illegal in most states. 😜

Dan

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
ebay and paypal are a joke, I don't even use them anymore.

ebay is slowly starting to go away. Very slowly. Amazon is killing them, as is wal-mart marketplace (that nobody has heard of).

ebay started out great as an online auction site but it is now just a marketplace, with few traditional auctions anymore. It's sad really because the auctions were "fun", at least to me. Then someone developed software that would allow bids automatically, and sometimes at the last .00001 of a second to outbid someone else, then it became no fun, and people quit doing it. Basically people found loopholes, and exploited them to the point that it destroyed the original purpose of eBay. That sucks.

PayPal and ebay both are FULL of scammers. I've been hit at least 4 times this year. All through paypal transactions via other websites outside of ebay. One in particular (most recent) I ordered a battery for the race car. Everything looked legit. Price and all. Month goes by no battery. No communication from the seller. Finally I contacted the seller's phone number, there is no voicemail, nothing. Just rings and rings and rings. At that point, I realized that I'm probably once again scammed. Contacted paypal, had them look into it. Paypal returns with a "tracking number", and I tracked it. Shows to have been delivered to an address that I know quite well, a package that weighed 6lbs 4 oz. Well a 16v car battery weighs between 38 and 55 lbs depending on the brand (unless it's lithium which I ain't paying for) so I know that wasn't correct. Contacted paypal, expressed the concern with it and they denied the case immediately. So Then I get to talk to some arab, which I couldn't understand, asked them to put an American on the phone. Got cussed and hung up on which was a blessing because the next time I called, I got an American, a Southern American at that so we understood each other pretty well. Found out that there is a scam going around where you order something, it never ships, but a different item ships to someone else that YOU paid for, and they got. The kicker is, that the tracking actually works, and because of that alone Paypal won't help you (it's an automatic algorithm in their software, if there's a tracking number, it automatically finds the claim in favor of the seller) so then you have to fight. 5 phone calls later, and a 'friendly' talk with the addressee, got the cops involved, paypal involved, and now possibily the fbi and maybe homeland security, I got refunded.

I won't use ebay, and have a very hard time using paypal anymore too because of this type garbage.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Assuming these are counterfeit, I wonder if Paypal will treat it as " an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead" (covered by paypal guarantee) or as a form of prepaid card (not covered)?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would imagine if the stamps are counterfeit you will only know for sure when the PO says so. At that point they may want to know where they originated, and they will be the ones bird dogging that fellow down and preventing it for occurring by him again.

A while back I sold a tractor. Man brought cash (6K), but I was suspicious because advertised looking for a 30HP tractor and I answered him thinking I was peeing in the wind. I sent him some pictures and a price and a couple days later asked if Tue was a good day for me so he could get it. Operative word, "get". So then I was pretty sure it was a scam. That Tue morning I was hanging around and an older PU with a trailer came to the driveway real slow. Walked down to the road the the older man was riding shotgun and a young guy driving. They had a box of donuts setting between them and I asked if that was their breakfast. They young guy said, "Yea, he too tight to buy breakfast." They came about 150 miles over in Missouri.

So I told them the tractor was up the road a mile in a barn. That it would be easier for them to stay on the road rather then try to back the trailer up the narrow drive. So they followed me. I pulled in and went to the barn to unlock it. When I opened the big door the trailer was backed up to the barn.

The tractor started up and the young guy drive in around a bit. The old man handed me an envelope with 100's, he confirmed the price we discussed in text, and did not asked if I'd take less. I counted the bills, they loaded and chained it down. I asked them if it would be OK to take some pictures of the tractor. I was actually taking pictures of their truck from various angles, inside and their license plates.

I new the route they were taking to get to gas station, and they left. I immediately went to town to the local bank and asked the teller to confirm the money was legitimate.

It was all good, but that gal got a laugh at me for wanting to know!

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I used to do a yearly garage sale in the Phoenix area. Like clockwork, two or three large passenger vans would pull up, and disgorge 20 to 30 people, mostly kids. One or two would inquire about an item, pretending not to speak any english. Within 2 or 3 minutes, on some pre-arranged signal, they all piled back in the vans & zoomed away. Then I would realize that my tables had noticeably more space than before they stopped. Sure enough, I would be missing 20 to 30 items, usually tools.
The last year, a guy stopped and picked up a .25 cent item and tried to hand me a $100 bill that looked bogus, even from a distance. I told him I wouldn't take it, and to go to the corner bank and break it.
He got very angry, told me it was FEDERAL LAW that I had to take it, pulled back his shirt, and put his hand on a large hunting knife in his belt. I pulled back my shirt and showed him the .45 on my belt, in a speed rig, and he dropped the bill, ran to his truck, and took off. Got a description & license number and called the cops. They confirmed the bill was counterfeit, the plate was stolen, and the truck matched a truck on the hot sheet. They said they got one or two calls a week on this guy, from all over the Phoenix area.
Cop & his sergeant seemed quite upset that I didn't ventilate the POS, said I would have been well within my rights. I stopped having garage sales in the valley after that.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for that image - - I saw several others on that website, but none so clear.

This is one of mine. My phone doesn't zoom in very well.

Looks pretty darned close to a novice.

35BBC97A-878C-42BE-BF29-F5F64663F124.jpeg

Assuming these are counterfeit, I wonder if Paypal will treat it as " an item described as authentic, but received a knockoff instead" (covered by paypal guarantee) or as a form of prepaid card (not covered)?
Torch - - I wonder the same.

Dan - AKA TheOldHokie is still firm I got what I paid for. Meaning these are legit stamps, if my interpretation is correct.

I'm hoping he's correct. He seems to know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

My conundrum proves you can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm relatively savvy to scams......but I literally waded right into this one all by myself.... If it is indeed a scam.

That said, I'm routing for Dan's prediction! (y)(y)(y)

I definitely appreciate his advice through this.

I would imagine if the stamps are counterfeit you will only know for sure when the PO says so. At that point they may want to know where they originated, and they will be the ones bird dogging that fellow down and preventing it for occurring by him again.
'Cat - - that was my thinking too. I kept all packaging also, following your and Henro's advice.

I hope to take to the PO Saturday. It's also big-time for them and holiday shipping. I'll try not to create a hassle for lines at the window.

We only have one window at our local PO. Don't need 2 (we really don't).

Will do another Saturday if need be. PayPal disputes are 6 months, so I have time.

All-in, right now I'm 66/33 for real/counterfeit...:unsure:

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I'm always very leery of possible scams, but in this case I think you actually just got a legit deal.

Could have been someone who stockpiled and decided they would never use them. Or they were cleaning out an estate. I can see reasons someone would have and sell them.

No harm verifying they're legit, but I think you're fine here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for that image - - I saw several others on that website, but none so clear.

View attachment 71597

Dan - AKA TheOldHokie is still firm I got what I paid for. Meaning these are legit stamps, if my interpretation is correct.

I'm hoping he's correct. He seems to know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

My conundrum proves you can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm off the boy. I'm relatively savvy to scams......but I literally waded right into this one all by myself.... If it is indeed a scam.

'Cat - - that was my thinking too. I kept all packaging also, following your and Henro's advice.

I hope to take to the PO Saturday. It's also big-time for them and holiday shipping. I'll try not to create a hassle for lines at the window.

Will do another Saturday if need be. PayPal disputes are 6 months, so I have time.

I don't know squat. I am just not as conspiratorial as some. Looks straightforward to me. Somebody has some old stamps they wanted to sell. Possibly from a business that went belly up.

Dan

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

View attachment 71597

Your post made me curious…I mail one bill every 3 months. Don’t buy stamps often. Usually 2 flats of 20 each at a time, lasts me years 🤣

C71ECBA8-B370-42C3-80E9-9BCA33D3A9B4.jpeg

4FEF6CBA-3519-451A-A873-3AE5DA5AB608.jpeg

These are legit stamps from my drawer. Yours look the part 🤷‍♂️.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Google says counterfeit stamps are a real thing and a big problem. Apparently real stamps have some UV tagging that requires a special light to see.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I kind of doubt that the postmaster is an expert on counterfeit stamps. I will tell you that the US Postal Inspectors have a 99% conviction rate, so you don't want to mess with them. Put one into an envelope, along with a letter of explanation, and send it to the US Postal Inspectors. I am certain that you will get an answer or a knock on your door.

Mail your queries to this address:

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS SERVICE CENTER

ATTN: MAIL FRAUD

433 HARRISON STREET RM 3255

CHICAGO IL 60699-3255

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't know squat. I am just not as conspiratorial as some. Looks straightforward to me. Somebody has some old stamps they wanted to sell. Possibly from a business that went belly up.

Dan
Dan - - My terminology earlier was poor. Sorry about that.

Didn't imply you know anything more about stamps than I do. I sure don't know much.....

You were helpful in that you had a better understanding of PayPal and dispute resolution. Plus your optimism I would actually get what I bought, given those systems that are in place, was very helpful.

Appreciate it.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I took a couple of the stamps to the local Post Office this morning.

Person at the window has been with USPS for years. Told her I bought them online, and heard fakes were a common concern.

Not a detailed forensic investigation, but she looked them over closely and said they're real. She seemed definitive in her assessment.

She also said they're her least favorite US Flag Forever stamps. She thought they're ugly compared to others.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I took a couple of the stamps to the local Post Office this morning.

Person at the window has been with USPS for years. Told her I bought them online, and heard fakes were a common concern.

Not a detailed forensic investigation, but she looked them over closely and said they're real. She seemed definitive in her assessment.

She also said they're her least favorite US Flag Forever stamps. She thought they're ugly compared to others.
Myself, I would still follow dustyrusty's advice in post #56.

Send a stamp to the right people and let the truth be known.

Granted you lose two stamps doing this...but better than dealing with the unlikely maybe consequences of using counterfeit stamps...

Maybe they will even give you your stamp back.

Or take your chances and pay the piper if things go wrong...even honest, good guys, end up in prison or otherwise paying significant penalties for things they have done. Knowingly or not...