I think I got scammed.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure yet, but I think I got scammed.

Buying postage stamps, of all things. :oops:

Christmas cards are due to go out.....

We needed stamps. Usually write check for a 100-count roll couple times a year. Take the check to the Post Office....viola...

I knew the rate went up this year.

Innocent enough, I Googled "how much is a First Class stamp?"

Long story short, ended up on a website that sells older Forever Stamps at a discount.

Hmmm...website looked "okay." Offered PayPal payment.

Bought 300 at $125. Delivery is 3-5 days.

PayPal transaction was an unfamiliar vendor name, and almost immediate from placing order.

Got a receipt via email. Different names/email addresses.

While I'm still hoping they show up as promised, I think I got took.

PayPal has a Dispute Resolution Policy. Must be within 180 days. Will see if the stamps show up before that step.

I'm pretty good at spotting phishing emails at work. I get a couple that get through our security a year. Our IT folks also send "test" phishing emails on occasion.

If I'm right, I waded right into this one at home. I own it....:mad::(

Many folks are embarrassed to admit their faults in these circumstances. $125 is not a big deal, but it is embarrassing when it happens to you.

While I'm not certain I got stuck, just a word of caution for my friends here at OTT. Can happen anytime/anywhere.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not sure yet, but I think I got scammed.

Buying postage stamps, of all things. :oops:

Christmas cards are due to go out.....

We needed stamps. Usually write check for a 100-count roll couple times a year. Take the check to the Post Office....viola...

I knew the rate went up this year.

Innocent enough, I Googled "how much is a First Class stamp?"

Long story short, ended up on a website that sells older Forever Stamps at a discount.

Hmmm...website looked "okay." Offered PayPal payment.

Bought 300 at $125. Delivery is 3-5 days.

PayPal transaction was an unfamiliar vendor name, and almost immediate from placing order.

Got a receipt via email. Different names/email addresses.

While I'm still hoping they show up as promised, I think I got took.

PayPal has a Dispute Resolution Policy. Must be within 180 days. Will see if the stamps show up before that step.

I'm pretty good at spotting phishing emails at work. I get a couple that get through our security a year.

If I'm right, I waded right into this one at home. I own it....:mad::(

Many folks are embarrassed to admit their faults in these circumstances. $125 is not a big deal, but it is embarrassing when it happens to you.

While I'm not certain I got stuck, just a word of caution for my friends here at OTT. Can happen anytime/anywhere.
If you don't get the stamps Paypal will cover your loss.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you don't get the stamps Paypal will cover your loss.

Dan
Thanks Dan.

I've heard that. A co-worker had a similar deal with running shoes. She's a LOT smarter with technology than I am.

Also with PayPal, apparently the seller doesn't "see" your banking information. Probably one of my motivators to buy them.

Still holding out hope they show up as advertised..... :unsure:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know you can order them from the PO

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You know you can order them from the PO
Yeah. Heck until a few years ago, I NEVER bought ANYTHING on-line.

Except for bills paid over the mail and check, paid for everything in-person, in cash..... :cool:

I'm a dinosaur, but have gotten to buying stuff over the interwebs...even my britches... (I left the "r" out of an OTT post a while back....now THAT got some attention.🤣) 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan.

I've heard that. A co-worked had a similar deal with running shoes. She's a LOT smarter with technology than I am.

I suspect you will get your goods. Its hard to run much of a scam via Paypal - they can and will seize the assets of the seller if they don't deliver.

Buying online can get a little interesting and confusing at times,. I purchased some bearings from Amazon a couple days ago and paid for them using Paypal. This order is supposedly being fulfilled by Amazon not a third party and in the last two days my Paypal account has received 3 credits and 4 debits from Amazon in the amount of the purchase. Plus the bearings have not shipped as of 10 minutes ago which is very unusual for Amazon. Bizarre to say the least and I hope the bearings ship soon. I ordered them because my regular supplier put me on a 2 week back order and I need a half dozen immediately. Wonder who will deliver first.....

Dan

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I suspect you will get your goods. Its hard to run much of a scam via Paypal - they can and will seize the assets of the seller if they don't deliver.

Dan
I hope you're correct! (y)

I suspect I got taken, but nothing has been proven either way.

Thus the reason I didn't post any web addresses, etc.

Maybe it is legit....:unsure:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I purchase quit a lot on Ebay and use PayPal with a credit card. I contact both PayPal and CC within a few days if something like that happens. Document every communication with the seller by email.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
'Cat - - that was exactly the first advice of my co-worker. Contact seller and document for the purposes of PayPal's Dispute process......otherwise, your PayPal Dispute will be denied.

Hopefully not necessary, but only time will tell.

I'm routing for Dan's prediction.... ;)

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
A good fishing buddy wrote that he got a Honda Generator for $79 on a black Friday deal... I wrote him back and said that just the emblem on that Honda generator cost $80... He should have bought several of them!!!

Have not heard back - nor how he bought it... He's older than dirt itself.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Don't bet on PayPal backing you up, I ordered a Kubota step online from some unheard of company. I got an email saying it was delivered but it was not. PayPal says that the email was evidence that it was delivered and they could do nothing. About two months later the money was refunded with no explanation of what happened. My guess is that they finally figured out how that scam was set up.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Other than Christmas cards we almost never use a stamp. I pay everything online or with autopay most building up my airline miles. Miles are great if you ever have to fly with almost no notice.

I agree with Paypal not backing you up. Someone can easily empty their account before Paypal dispute can work. The exception is an Ebay dealer.

I bought fake Superbowl jerseys years ago. They were normal price, no misspelled words on the website, etc. I used a CC so I just put in a dispute. Everything looked right until I got them. After getting my money back, I threw those smelly things away. They were obviously fake. Their customer service responses were in broken English.

There is no way that you'll never get a bad transaction if you have enough transactions. It's ok, it was just a fraction of what I buy online.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks Dan.

I've heard that. A co-worker had a similar deal with running shoes. She's a LOT smarter with technology than I am.

Also with PayPal, apparently the seller doesn't "see" your banking information. Probably one of my motivators to buy them.

I might have had the same experience as your co-worker :(
My wife got me hooked on Hoka brand sneakers (walking/running/hiking shoes). I decided a couple of weeks ago to order 2 more pair in bright colors. Somehow when searching for 'Hoka' I got to a site that looked like theirs. They were running a 50% off sale for X hours and the displayed clock was counting down.

Bottom line never got them. They supplied PayPal a USPS tracking that showed them delivered to me. PayPal denied my dispute. I filed a complaint on line with USPS and 6:30 the next morning a local postal official called me. Their internal tracking for those 2 shipments showed it going to 2 different addresses in our town.
When I furnished that info to PayPal they immediately reversed the charges to my CC.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I might have had the same experience as your co-worker :(
My wife got me hooked on Hoka brand sneakers (walking/running/hiking shoes). I decided a couple of weeks ago to order 2 more pair in bright colors. Somehow when searching for 'Hoka' I got to a site that looked like theirs. They were running a 50% off sale for X hours and the displayed clock was counting down.

Bottom line never got them. They supplied PayPal a USPS tracking that showed them delivered to me. PayPal denied my dispute. I filed a complaint on line with USPS and 6:30 the next morning a local postal official called me. Their internal tracking for those 2 shipments showed it going to 2 different addresses in our town.
When I furnished that info to PayPal they immediately reversed the charges to my CC.
So Paypal backed you up. I buy and sell a lot of things using a Paypal business account. Their buyer protection is just like any credit card company. They do not have to seize the sellers funds to pay a claim. If you dont receive an item they reimburse - period.

Buyer Protection ensures you get what you pay for. When something goes wrong with your eligible transactions, PayPal Buyer Protection has you covered. Get a full refund if an eligible order isn't significantly as described, or doesn't arrive at your doorstep.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I try to use PayPal for all online transactions if possible. My memory is shot but I think they have saved me a couple times. I do a lot of online buying and things keep changing making it easier for the buyer to purchase without going through a lot of hoops. At the same time I feel it makes it easier to be taken.. Just be careful and Always log out of sights like PayPal.. if it lets you, and Amazon.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
It does seem odd that someone would be discounting postage stamps. Has Paypal charged your credit card yet? If it is a scam and they see that you use Paypal or some other secure payment system the scammer may simply walk away and ignore you.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
I hate PP.
We own a self storage facility. I had a Lien sale for a unit that nobody bid on. Sooo I had to clean it out. I found what looked like antique postcards. I listed them on eBay and stated where I found them and also stated I am not a professional and don’t know if they are old or repops. I also stated no refunds. I figured I was taking the chance if they are real. The bids got over 40 bucks and I shipped them the same day. The buyer received them and wanted a refund. They contacted PP and PP took the money back from me. I filed a claim showing the listing, but PP did not care. So I actually lost money with shipping. All I can say Is “let’s go PP”

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I hate PP.
We own a self storage facility. I had a Lien sale for a unit that nobody bid on. Sooo I had to clean it out. I found what looked like antique postcards. I listed them on eBay and stated where I found them and also stated I am not a professional and don’t know if they are old or repops. I also stated no refunds. I figured I was taking the chance if they are real. The bids got over 40 bucks and I shipped them the same day. The buyer received them and wanted a refund. They contacted PP and PP took the money back from me. I filed a claim showing the listing, but PP did not care. So I actually lost money with shipping. All I can say Is “let’s go PP”
That's sad.

Seems like the buyer should have at least returned the items for the refund.

Can't PP see the games dishonest people play? I mean dishonest buyers, not you as the seller.