Household Appliance Maintenance: Share Your Successes and Failures

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I have heard from a couple coworkers who have had HVAC work done that the owners of the companies are shutting down because they can't find anyone who wants to do the work anymore. Many are at retirement age too, so instead of selling the business, no buyers, they just close doors.

After that last stint with the Sears repairman swindling me out of $99 for showing up, I will do all my own damned repairs.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We just had a water heater replaced Monday, too.

I can't sweat a joint to save my life, and we have 95 psi at the kitchen faucet from our public system. (Measured by me with certified gauges 25+ years ago).

My HVAC/plumber friend runs his business all on his own. One of the more popular guys around here. Very busy.

He's maybe mid-50's. I'm thinking he will be out and retired in the not-so-distant future.

The icemaker for the fridge was ~$170, if my memory serves. There were $80 varieties on Amazon.

Bought the replacement from www.Repairclinic.com. Always had great luck with their parts. Don't like the prices, but they have always worked as advertised. They often have videos linked to help with the repair.

My success rate of repairing appliances is nearly 100% over the last 10-12 years, but I don't see any appliances lasting like they did years ago..

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I also got hit by the jinx bug on our propane dryer, but the fix was easy. I called the 800 number, and they sent a repairman out to the house to diagnose the problem. He said it was a defective motor, and he ordered a new motor and rollers, and a few other rubber parts, and scheduled another repair appointment. A new fellow came and he said the rollers were fine, but he replaced them along with the motor, and the machine made more noise than before the repair. At this point, everything has been replaced in the machine, except for the drum. He ordered a new drum, and it arrived about a week later, and then a 3rd repairman came to install the drum. He said that he gets everyone else screw-ups to fix. He installed the new drum, and the only thing that is original to the machine is the control panel and the propane heater/burner. Now, the machine isn't venting properly, so they will be coming back again in 2 weeks to fix that. Sure glad that I bought the 5-year warranty after the original 3-year warranty had expired for over a year. They send us warranty offers at least every 6 months, even though the current warranty is still in effect. Best $250 I ever spent! At one time I would have worked on it myself, but I just don't have the inclination or the desire to do this in my old age. The warranty expires in 2022, and for another $250 I can extend it another 5 years. The same goes for the washing machine, but that is also 8 years old and has never given us any problems. Almost forgot to mention, the repair company is Sears. I guess this is the only thing that they have left, is a very large service network.
After I wrote this, my wife told me that the dryer still wasn't drying, and I called and scheduled a 4 visit of the repairman. This time we got one that had previously been here and he diagnosed the problem and ordered more parts that were installed by another repairman. They don't have any history of the repairs that have been done in the past, so there is a lot of duplication of the service. This time, he checked the temperatures and determined that they were correct, and after checking a bunch of other things, he broke out his level. Turns out that when they did the repairs in the past that no one leveled the machine, so the wet clothes didn't touch the sensors that determine when the clothes are dry. He leveled it and it has been working fine now. Also, the noise is gone from the spinning drum. I will buy the 5-year warranty again when this one expires next August since they will replace the unit if they can't fix it. My guess is that they will run out of repair parts soon since they keep throwing parts at it when they don't know what the problem is.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
LG fridge icemaker 'died'...busted plastic gear( figures, right ) . Instead of ordering direct from LG, I saved 95 Canucks going to a 'parts place'. Installed myself after seeing 'how to' online.
Have 20 yr old walloven NOTHING wrong now sitting in garage as wife wanted a new one....$2500 ! oh well HER money !!
Just replaced 35 year old gas furnace, still 92+ eff (was 96 at install), new one is 95%...probably won't last 35 years though.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a Maytag washer and dryer that is 46 years old. Not eager to replace. Last problem it had is knob wouldn’t engage, one of those where you pull and turn to choose the wash cycle you want, then push to start. Thought I’d take it apart and see if I could figure it out. Can’t get that knob assembly any more, but I discovered if I left the whole top cover off I could just turn the knob gently to the desired position and it would run. Only thing repaired is hose I replaced, and repair guy replaced a balance switch about 30 years ago.

I bought the extra warrantees for the new refrigeration units and cooktop in my kitchen. Kept old wall oven, probably installed 1962. Hoping to be able to get parts for it because I like it. And new ones won’t fit in the wall opening (brick).

I think I don’t like the sound of this here new fangled stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The saga continues....back to Maytag 'fridge.

Icemaker replacement went fine. Until.....

Started to leak a little water from icemaker couple weeks ago...just a little. Like cubes were melting, just a little now and then. :unsure:

Long story short, freezer was getting warmer. Fridge was holding at 40F. No sweat. We have another refrigerator in garage, and 2 other freezers out there too..

Our 2-car garage can also act as a large walk-in cooler this time of year.

At first, cleaned coils and reset control board (we've had a few power outages).

I could hear some clicking sounds from unit. Like compressor short-cycling.

After some internet searching, last night ordered new run capacitor ($10) and start relay ($50+). The two plug into each other at compressor...figured replace both at once.....either could cause a similar issue.

Capacitor due here tomorrow 1/29, but relay not until Wednesday 2/2...

Fridge was 50+F after work....OH...FUDGE.....🤬🤬😮😲

Boy, I'm hoping that clicking is a bad capacitor and not the relay...It should be a 10 minute fix after it's pulled out and back off......

Hopefully will be fixed by tomorrow afternoon.....fingers crossed.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Another lesson I learned from an insider at Whirlpool is always buy their lowest model because they use the same internals as the top-of-the-line units and all break within 5 years.
I got tired of replacing washers and dryers. So the last time that our high tech set died due to a power surge, we did a little research and ended up buying a speed queen set with manual controls (no computer electronics). This is the only laundry set still made in USA. They are very heavy with metal gears and little plastic. They claim a 25 year service life.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Well, fridge crapped out.

Capacitor was delivered yesterday and didn’t fix it. Hoping greatly the start relay will do the trick. Was still clicking after new capacitor was put in.

Most stuff is out in the garage or in the garage refrigerator. Two freezers out there too.

As cold as it’s been, the garage is better as a freezer than refrigerator….

40591025-A2F6-4195-89D1-F4CCC86100DB.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
After I wrote this, my wife told me that the dryer still wasn't drying, and I called and scheduled a 4 visit of the repairman. This time we got one that had previously been here and he diagnosed the problem and ordered more parts that were installed by another repairman. They don't have any history of the repairs that have been done in the past, so there is a lot of duplication of the service. This time, he checked the temperatures and determined that they were correct, and after checking a bunch of other things, he broke out his level. Turns out that when they did the repairs in the past that no one leveled the machine, so the wet clothes didn't touch the sensors that determine when the clothes are dry. He leveled it and it has been working fine now. Also, the noise is gone from the spinning drum. I will buy the 5-year warranty again when this one expires next August since they will replace the unit if they can't fix it. My guess is that they will run out of repair parts soon since they keep throwing parts at it when they don't know what the problem is.
I NEVER buy appliance extended warranties!
No "Car Shield" either!

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I NEVER buy appliance extended warranties!
No "Car Shield" either!
Do you have homeowners insurance for fire, theft, or collision and comprehensive on your automobile, or don't you believe in those either?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do you have homeowners insurance for fire, theft, or collision and comprehensive on your automobile, or don't you believe in those either?
Of course I do, but those potential dollar losses are significantly higher.
In 1987 I collected $240 K for a fire loss.
I have had two car losses (both not my fault) and the insurance company paid as expected.
I don't have pet insurance, or underground water service insurance, or appliance insurance either.
I bought an appliance extended warranty once, and it was a stupid waste of money.
Insurance companies know the odds, and they win nearly every time.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hallelujah!!

80% sure I got Maytag refrigerator going again. 😊

Was the start relay (I think, only been running an hour).

Thankfully came 2 days early, and I also got another capacitor, which came in today too.

Replaced both; they literally plug into each other. Don’t hear the clicking I did before.

All-in with the spare capacitor is $70+. Hoping we're good for a while. At 13 years, it's beyond the useful life for stuff now-days...sad...:oops:

My batting average isn't 1.000, but it's close for major appliances. Keeps me in the hunt....

Temperatures look promising so far….only used the laser thermometer on the tractor and vehicles:

Refrigerator

3E07B8E5-B16B-4286-9C87-9FB78F09A104.jpeg

Freezer

257455B8-4DE7-4CAB-83BE-2586EC7F156A.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - - pretty sure we got it. Been running 24 hours now. Didn’t want to declare victory right away….

SO glad that relay came 2-4 days early.... 🤞

Was literally a 5 minute fix. Took longer to put the friggin’ back cover on…. 🤬

Offending part(s)----- the gray-colored start relay was the problem. Could smell a little "burnt" after it came out.

Replaced the run capacitor twice, only because it ran with the funky relay for a few hours. For $10...why not?

$70 all in, and that includes an extra capacitor.

52372DF0-397E-4F3A-8897-88FE3406F8C7.jpeg

C6F12E42-CDDB-49C4-BD74-FA6D1DD71B29.jpeg

EA9D4FCC-9FDA-402D-96F1-DACA69095D5E.jpeg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wow, something got REPAIRED and NOT tossed into the landfill !!!!
hip hip hooray !!!!

odds are good the relay would fail before the capacitor. In Avionics school , the rule was check relays and switches FIRST in any failure.... 90% of the time, they 'go' first.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I edited the Title of the Thread....

Maybe it could/should be an appliance diagnosis/repair/restoration thread?

I know I'm always struggling with something.....

Looking back, birddogger had some cool mixers. Other guys/gals had some problems, solutions, suggestions, brand recommendations, etc.

My Maytag fridge is really a Whirpool....70% of appliances are Whirlpool...

I should have better documented my fix...bet it's not the only MFI2569VEM1 model out there....(I know the Model # from memory...)

Heck, toss them here..... ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
wow, something got REPAIRED and NOT tossed into the landfill !!!!
hip hip hooray !!!!

odds are good the relay would fail before the capacitor. In Avionics school , the rule was check relays and switches FIRST in any failure.... 90% of the time, they 'go' first.
Jay - - Thanks, appreciate it, especially coming from you! I know this is the kind of stuff you're good at.

Without throwing a bunch of parts at them, I've been pretty good at keeping stuff in working order. I'm kind of proud of that.

I use some internet resources to help with that. I'm getting old, but enjoy problem-solving.

You may have seen me say it before, electrical stuff is not my strong suit.

This time, I figured one or both....Could hear the click and short-cycling of the compressor.

Made me think of a water well bladder tank being water-logged...

Ordered both, but capacitor came first. Thankfully, relay came much quicker than expected. Replaced capacitor with new again, in case it was damaged in the interim.

I really wanted to test both with my DVOM, but the continuity test is higher than my pay-grade.....my DVOM just said "1", and I don't think that's the answer I wanted....

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I edited the Title of the Thread....

Maybe it could/should be an appliance diagnosis/repair/restoration thread?

I know I'm always struggling with something.....

Looking back, birddogger had some cool mixers. Other guys/gals had some problems, solutions, suggestions, brand recommendations, etc.

My Maytag fridge is really a Whirpool....70% of appliances are Whirlpool...

I should have better documented my fix...bet it's not the only MFI2569VEM1 model out there....(I know the Model # from memory...)

Heck, toss them here..... ;)
OK, RCW, you talked me into another. :) Maybe it'll help someone's trouble shooting down the road:

I also have a natural gas furnace in my detached shop/garage. Same vintage as the one I fixed in the house....but with less BTU output. It had started acting up at the end of the heating season last winter. Symptoms: Would run fine for a while and then quit. It wasn't the gas valve or outside regulator this time.

At the beginning of this winter, it worked for a while and then quit. Time to dig in and find the problem. Checking the sensors and limit switches, sail switches, induction blower, etc. turned up nothing conspicuous. Looking at the control board showed no burnt or suspect components. Checking with my Fluke meter showed heat being called for, AC voltage present, etc. Then I happened to push a little harder with the test leads on the control board and the furnace kicked in!

Waiting a few days until it stopped again, I carefully checked with the meter and the thermostat was calling for heat. Yet no action. Lightly pushing on the control board in one area started the furnace running. Aha!! Must be a broken "trace" or cold solder joint!

Pulling the control board from the furnace (it was mounted on the blower fan housing) and examining it under the magnifying light revealed the problem. Evidently vibration over the years had caused two soldered pins (that the thermostat wires were hooked to) to break loose from the circuitry traces. Hard to see unless you were actually looking for something like that. Plus, it was on the back side of the board when mounted in the furnace. A quick resolder of the pins with a tiny piece of wire to bridge the crack has it running dependably again. Here's some pics:

Furnace 2_2.jpg The control board as mounted in the furnace.
Furnace 4_2.jpg Control board removed
Furnace 5 (2).jpg Can you spot the two broken solder joints??
Furnace 6.jpg Repaired for a number of additional heating seasons.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
‘dogger - - I sure as heck don’t see any cracks….great job on the repair! Bet it’s nice having heat out there again!! 👍

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
You can fix pretty much anything if you try hard enough.
Buying proper parts is easiest but often you can make something else work.
Not always worth the trouble though, some stuff is pretty crappy.

Best faith endorsement I ever got was from my daughter:
I had the clothes dryer in pieces with the drum out, she asked "Dad, is that going to work tonight?"
"Yes" I replied and she put a wash on.

• Haha
  • Love