Household Appliance Maintenance: Share Your Successes and Failures

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
good for you bird dogger :)
I have been in the business (hvac) for over 50 years on the wholesale side. I can count on my fingers how many of our customers I would hire to work on my equipment.
btw - don't knock those U Tube manometers, that's all I use or an inclined one for low pressures. There isn't much question about accuracy on them :)

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
good for you bird dogger :)
I have been in the business (hvac) for over 50 years on the wholesale side. I can count on my fingers how many of our customers I would hire to work on my equipment.
btw - don't knock those U Tube manometers, that's all I use or an inclined one for low pressures. There isn't much question about accuracy on them :)
Thanks, ctfr! LOL! I agree, it's hard to put your trust in a $20 digital manometer but that thing is slick! I still have my U Tube (although the plastic tube is yellowing with age terribly). After I had finished up with the changeout and set up I checked the water column height with the old U Tube setup and it matched perfectly. Even the wife felt pretty confident of the new install after seeing that. 😂 Well,.........at least enough to not want to shell out $3000 for an unnecessary brand new furnace.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My sister finally talked her hubby into new cabinets and appliances. I kidded her about 'avocado green or harvest gold'? Today, I visited my cousin who now lives in his grandmother's (my aunt) house. I commented on the original knotty pine kitchen cabinets. He said the dishwasher's original also. I looked and it's a coppertone KitchenAid. About a year ago, they replaced the coppertone Whirlpool range and vent. Only because the pots and pan storage on the side made the oven too narrow for his new wife.
IMG_20210717_173504981.jpg

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
This topic has jinxed me. Yesterday an element failed in the toaster/oven.
IMG_0398.JPG

These things are sorta throw-away items so $44.98 bought a new one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: wall oven control panel repair.....
After getting a service manual online and seeing that 'some' buttons worked some don't I finally figured out the problem....by using the IR heat gun..
Door seal... lets extra heat out, on right side of opening,so 'confuses' the 'computer(matrix scan of keys kinda stops...) Anyway seal not available,so my 'cure' is to put a free fan where the 'electronics' is(behind the keypad), wired to only come on during use,only has to blow a little air NOT gale force..
wife's 'cure' is to buy another $3K wall oven.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This topic has jinxed me. Yesterday an element failed in the toaster/oven.

These things are sorta throw-away items so $44.98 bought a new one.
Magic - - as I started it, I'm sorry about that!:oops:

Did the same for me....

We had some minor flooding last night, the dishwasher door latch went wonky, and the Cable Box lost all sound......all at the same time. 🤬

Add those to tweaking my back that morning....😧

Flooding was contained by my redneck diversion ditches and swales...still have a driveway....

864C2BEC-0832-4624-A9E5-FB249CC34EE3.jpeg

4F585C3F-7295-4D70-9224-682755FA617B.jpeg

Took the dishwasher door all apart. Was able to fix the latch for now...$55 for new part if it doesn't hold. Was a joy with my back screaming at me....

Cable box just needed a re-boot.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Cold solder joints are something I always look for on appliance circuit boards when something starts going intermittent. Sometimes it is where a wire is attached or a transformer for a power supply. Found that in one of my Lift-master garage door openers before buying another one. Looking at them with a light and magnify glass while wiggling you might spot the crack in the solder. Sometimes it can be found with a little heat discoloration around the culprit if it is a higher amperage part of the circuit. I love the challenge of finding a small part online to solve the problem instead of the high priced part.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Guess I did jinx myself too.

Old latch didn't hold. Took it apart Monday night to order new part ($55).

While doing so, broke both of the small holding tabs on the plastic control panel cover.....($120). 🤬 :oops: 🤬 Yep, I used some bad words, most directed at myself….

Those have been a problem on this dishwasher. The replacement is #4.....:oops:

Www.Repairclinic.com got me back in business....I don't like the prices, but their parts are great. Never an issue. Definitely recommend them for OEM parts at a fair price.

Ordered Monday night and here Wednesday afternoon. Quick service too. Important for appliance parts.

Will run a couple wash cycles before putting outside cover back on.

5102A3D1-4A6E-45B1-B58E-0DB10B1C33C9.jpeg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
DW 'scam'.... years ago DW dies(warranty though !) got a new one free...that had 'heated dry' and 'glass express'. Figured it'd be GREAT for canning, fast clean and keep jar hot...
well ...'they' decided you can't have BOTH glass express and heated dry at the same time...
arrrrrgh...
however ,since then, we've used the 'glass express' mode for 100% of the cleanings. Does a great job,even with full loads in 22 minutes instead of the usualy 2+ hours. Saves a LOT of well water and time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dang - - - when it rains it pours....Ice Maker on the Maytag refrigerator is leaking again (I think). Ice cube tray is a solid block of ice, with some water drippage.

Replaced it 3-4 years ago. Same symptoms more or less.

Some more troubleshooting to do, but don't expect a simple thawing-out of the parts will help.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dang - - - when it rains it pours....Ice Maker on the Maytag refrigerator is leaking again (I think). Ice cube tray is a solid block of ice, with some water drippage.

Replaced it 3-4 years ago. Same symptoms more or less.

Some more troubleshooting to do, but don't expect a simple thawing-out of the parts will help.
Follow up with a replacement.....

Hope it works....this is the one I took out.

Hope to see all our kids and their grandparents Christmas.

Believe me, ice cubes will be VERY important.😎

Ollie helped!😀

113332F3-F094-4388-BAEF-96857671298E.jpeg

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I also got hit by the jinx bug on our propane dryer, but the fix was easy. I called the 800 number, and they sent a repairman out to the house to diagnose the problem. He said it was a defective motor, and he ordered a new motor and rollers, and a few other rubber parts, and scheduled another repair appointment. A new fellow came and he said the rollers were fine, but he replaced them along with the motor, and the machine made more noise than before the repair. At this point, everything has been replaced in the machine, except for the drum. He ordered a new drum, and it arrived about a week later, and then a 3rd repairman came to install the drum. He said that he gets everyone else screw-ups to fix. He installed the new drum, and the only thing that is original to the machine is the control panel and the propane heater/burner. Now, the machine isn't venting properly, so they will be coming back again in 2 weeks to fix that. Sure glad that I bought the 5-year warranty after the original 3-year warranty had expired for over a year. They send us warranty offers at least every 6 months, even though the current warranty is still in effect. Best $250 I ever spent! At one time I would have worked on it myself, but I just don't have the inclination or the desire to do this in my old age. The warranty expires in 2022, and for another $250 I can extend it another 5 years. The same goes for the washing machine, but that is also 8 years old and has never given us any problems. Almost forgot to mention, the repair company is Sears. I guess this is the only thing that they have left, is a very large service network.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
DR, interesting description of repair process. I have a nephew who owns his appliance repair business. He was out a couple of months ago to fix a "rumbling" noise in our clothes dryer. He replace a couple of parts including a bearing which is a part of the shaft the drum sets on. He removed and reinstalled the new parts and it still made a "rumbling" noise. He immediately removed the top part that holds the drum on the part he just put in, looked at it, put the drum back in position .... then tapped the center of the drum with a mallet. Then tightened the top nut, and it worked fine.

He told me many times that drum doesn't seat properly and needs to be tapped a bit to get it in place.

Service as we use to know it is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Throw away appliances is a huge reality today. I prefer to repair things myself, but some, such as refrigerators, require special equipment which I don't have, though on my last one I was sorely tempted to spend the money on some.

about 8 years ago we bought a French door LG. It broke while under warranty, stopped cooling completely. Repair comes out, orders new compressor and replaces it. Still not cooling. Orders second compressor, replaces it, still not cooling. This process took over a month, thankfully we have a spare refrigerator, but it freezes food in the cooler section. After the third repair, LG sent us a check for the cost of the unit and left us with getting rid of it.

We go to Sears and buy a Kenmore French door, not knowing at the time that it was made by LG. It made it through it's warranty period before crapping out. We had the extended warranty on it, but there was a $99 deductible. Tech comes out, doesn't even bother looking at it, says needs compressor which is under warranty still, but labor is not, so would cost $600 to replace, no guarantee that it will fix it either.

After some deep dive research I discovered that the linear compressors that fail pump oil up into the evaporators, clogging them, over pressuring the replacement compressors causing them to fail. So when the compressor fails on these, not only should the compressor be replaced, so should the evaporators, which are NOT covered under warranty. Needless to say, that was the second fridge in 5 years to make it to the dump. We replaced it with a side by side, hopefully this replacement lasts longer than 5 years.

We have a Gaggenau 5 burner cooktop. It has a WOK center burner of 35,000 BTU. The top is supposed to be sealed from leakage, but when we installed it, it didn't work and had to be repaired. A repairman came out and replaced the main board, and in doing so, must have damaged the gaskets. After a while the WOK burner stopped working, the igniter failed. I was able to light it with lighter, but noticed the flame was all wrong. I opened it up and found that the orifice for the gas was corroded. So it needs new orifice, and a couple new igniters. I can repair this myself but, can't find the parts for it. Whats worse is the igniter is special as it is also a feedback probe that tells the main board when it is lit and relights if it goes out. It's a really nice cooktop, but if I can't find parts for it, going to have to replace it. As for the orifice and burner, I can make new ones on my lathe and mill, but the igniter, thats something I can't make.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Our NG boiler started to click occasionally so I called a service tech and asked specifically to come out and replace the gas valve on the boiler. I gave him the boiler brand/model and the actual gas valve brand and model as well.

A week later they shows up and start the troubleshooting procedure. I tell him, it is running fine right now, it will pass all your tests. The solenoid in the gas valve is bad and it needs to be replaced. He basically goes on to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

2 hours later I get an invoice for 580.00 for the service to replace the igniter!

This is one time I will always use a CC for the bill. I wrote on the invoice that if the gas valve continues to fail as I had stated before the service I requested, I would not pay the bill.

The valve was still clicking in and out, so the next morning I called them back and told them I needed a tech back. I got a different guy this time (about 4 hours later on the same day) and he proceeded to go through all the same stuff as the first guy.

I ended up with another invoice (625.00 for a transformer and some control board I could never find ANY info on - like it didn't exist).

Again on this invoice I wrote he did not fix what he was called for and did not repair the problem, this invoice is in error. I paid him with the CC again.

Rinse and repeat. I called the owner of the company and he sent out his "best tech" with a valve to replace the vale that didn't need replacing he said laughing. And he said to make sure I pay the invoice (obviously they were having a good laugh at my expense).

The valve was replaced (1400.00 for a 120.00 part) He was literally smiling like a con man handing me the bill. I paid the invoice with the cc again.

I called citibank and disputed the charges on the two invoices the next day. I emailed copies of everything I had (as well as the part on invoice #2 that could not be found).

About a week later I got refunded over 2600.00 from citibank, they refunded all three invoices.

It turns out the board mounted 4 pin molex connector on the valve had a bad solder that when it was going through a heat cycle would be intermittent. Easy fix, nice spare on hand.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Our Sub Zero refrigerator was installed when we built the home in 1984, and lasted until 2010, when we had a storm and the power kept going on and off, which ultimately locked up the compressor. Called the repairman to have the compressor replaced, and he said that since it was an R12 refrigerator, that he wouldn't repair it. Then called Sub Zero service, and told them the model number, and serial number, and got an instant reply that it wasn't repairable because of its age. Since we have replacement insurance on the home, called my insurance agent, who put in the claim with the information as to what happened, and why it couldn't be repaired. The insurance company said to buy a replacement Sub Zero, and all we would have to pay is the $750 deductible. The new Sub Zero was over $12,000, and the wooden door kit was another $2600. Then the cabinets had to be modified because the dimensions had changed, and it cost another $3000 to have all that work done. In the end, it was about $18,000 to get a new Sub Zero installed. I had no idea of how expensive that this would wind up. Sure glad that we have replacement insurance on the home. Prices today are out of control, and it seems that no one wants to repair anything, just replace it. In 37 years, we replaced the dryer and washer only once, the refrigerator once, and the dishwasher 3 times. I feel very lucky!

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well, they were right, R12 systems cannot be repaired. Even IF they have access to R12, the EPA outlawed R12. They would have to replace the entire system to convert to the current refrigerant, including the Evaporator and condenser since they are incompatible with the new stuff. What is compatible is R134a, but not meant for appliance use, but you would still need a compressor so back to square one. Been down that route myself as I wanted to repair an older one we had, could get parts, but not the refrigerant. All my stuff is R134a compliant, but only for automotive use. I still have a can of R22 for home AC units.

Speaking of AC units, back in 2001 when we moved to our current house, the PO had a room addition put on, but no HVAC was installed, they would winterize the bathroom and seal it up in the winter, it was pretty much unfinished. In 2002, Home Depot still sold DIY HVAC so I bought the proper sized furnace and AC, a Hamilton, installed all the ductwork and the units, and the wiring myself. During that time up until today, the only issue with the furnace was a bad capacitor on the blower motor. $30 replacement. The AC had stopped working, of course on a hot humid day with plenty of skeeters in the air. Found a mouse nest and a chewed wire to the relay. Fixed that. Following year, another mouse, no nest since the stupid critter shorted the capacitor and fried. This time had to replace the capacitor and relay as the contacts were worn.

Last year same thing, same time of year, but chewed wires to the relay. So it has a new relay, new capacitor and new wires, this time I left the damned cover off. This year, no more mouse issues in the condensor, instead the little bastards got in the house, along with some rats. Isn't country living great! I am in the process of ripping out some walls in one room that used to be a garage, I found where they were entering the house, under the garage slab, chewed through a 2x4 and sheathing, and then through a corner of the drywall that was behind shelving. Needless to say, no more have been able to seek shelter from the cold. Those things are so destructive too. By the time you realize they are in, they have already done the damage. We always had mice issues, but the cats have taken care of them for the most part, the rats were a new thing, up until last year we never saw one, and been here 20 years. I think they are coming from a farm down the road that had just put up new storage buildings and store seed they grow.

After 20 years here, I could fill a book on all the projects and repairs this place has had done. It's like that house in the movie Money Pit. Yes even the tub falling through, well almost. There were two cast iron tubs back to back, whoever did the plumbing notched out the joists, there is barely any wood holding the joists up now, and to top it all off, had put in a room underneath as a laundry room, and installed a pocket door under the main beam. To make it fit, the idiots notched the beam which is made up of 4 2x10's nailed together. That part of the house now pitches towards the center by an inch. I had to build a 2x6 wall under the beam to keep it from going any further. 20 years, still not done doing repairs.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have a friend who was a very good appliance repair man. A few years back he closed his business and got his AZ license and went trucking. Having owned and driven big trucks I asked him if he was insane!

He said all these new appliances are garbage throw-aways. He said I couldn't stand being in that business any more because people would have a heart attack every time you gave them a price for a part. He said everyone thought you were ripping them off.

He said it is pretty stupid when the crisper drawer in your fridge breaks and you have to tell the customer, you may as well buy another whole new fridge because it will be cheaper than the replacement drawer.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Another lesson I learned from an insider at Whirlpool is always buy their lowest model because they use the same internals as the top-of-the-line units and all break within 5 years.
This is generally true for water heaters.
Six , eight, or 10 year warranty electric water heaters have all the same internals.
The eight, and ten year units cost more, because you are paying for the longer warranty.

Last edited: