help with sick B6100

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
Is the tractor in 4wd or 2wd or have you tried it in both? will it push along ok when out of gear and the brake off?
Dave
not tried in 2wd yet.
It will keep rolling (downhill!) when you dip the clutch and needs the brakes to stop it - so yes i'd say it freewheels OK - no obvious binding of brakes....

thanks

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
This is just a question could it be the injectors?:confused:If he has good fuel delivery. Injectors could be taken out and take to a shop for spray pattern check one could be partically clogged . Wheres VIC when we need him come on dusty aquaforce and traildust and wildfire also JUMP IN HERE:). handy

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
What's the compression???????
no way to check compression at present - but as I already said above it starts fine from cold (6deg C) after 30secs glow plugs, no excess smoke on startup just a bit of black, runs clean after 5secs, NO blue smoke ever - would that not tend to suggest compression is OK?

thanks
Jimbo

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Jimbo,

I know that this will get a whole rack of "don't do it" or "that's a bad idea" comments but if it was mine I would pour a couple of oz. of either Marvelle Mystery Oil or Mercon Dextron ATF fluid in the fuel tank and run it around some. Either one of these will help to remove anything that may have the injectors stopped up or trash in the pump. The Marvelle would be my choice in this cause just because you're not familiar with the tractor and don't no about the former owners fuel supply. If it had any algea growing in the fuel this will help to remove it and treat the remaining fuel as well. I personally add either of these fluids to all my diesel powered engines at a ratio of 4 oz. to every 10 gal. of fuel. I've been doing this for yrs. and have never had any type of fuel related problems. I put 25,000 hrs. on a Cat 980 G loader with a 3406 engine and never had a turbo, injector or pump replaced. I mixed ATF in the fuel every day for 11 years. It is still running now with over 30,000 hrs. at another location and to my knowledge still without any repairs to the fuel system. I only offer this advise for a possible sollution before having to start taking parts off the engine.
You mentioned before that it didn't smoke very much while it was running. My old B 7100 I had blew out pretty black smoke like a freight train when I would go up a hill and lay down on the fuel pedal in high gear. It sounds to me like your's isn't getting enough fuel if it doesn't smoke under a load. A thurough clean out may be all you need.

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
hi,
yes fuel tap is correct and fuel is flowing.

I am new to this (diesels and kubotas) but I don't believe it has a lift pump - fuel runs from tank down to filter/fuel tap onto injector pump onto injectors.

When I bled the injector pump after fitting a new fuel filter, I cranked the engine for 10secs (with the decompressor lever switched to stop it starting). I only opened the air bleed bolt a turn or two but even so there seemed to be a good pulsating flow of fuel coming out...:confused:

thanks
Jimbo
correction:- I just found out it *does* have a lift pump :eek::eek:
It's between filter/tap and injector pump and is bolted on/into the block

Do lift pumps either work or not? or can they be "lazy"?

thanks
Jimbo

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I may be wrong but I believe that all lift pumps have a check valve in them that will only allow one way fuel flow. This check valve can get trash in it and slow the flow down or even completely stop it.

I'm sure some of the others will add to this but I believe this is correct.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
no way to check compression at present - but as I already said above it starts fine from cold (6deg C) after 30secs glow plugs, no excess smoke on startup just a bit of black, runs clean after 5secs, NO blue smoke ever - would that not tend to suggest compression is OK?

thanks
Jimbo
Not necessarily --- my experience would tell me that it'll start just fine down to around 200 psi --- less than 1/2 of what it shoud be. Back to the turn it over by hand test. If you grab a hold of the fan belt and try to turn it over by hand, can you? Can you feel any compression when you do that?? It's hard to help with a problem without some data.

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
Not necessarily --- my experience would tell me that it'll start just fine down to around 200 psi --- less than 1/2 of what it shoud be. Back to the turn it over by hand test. If you grab a hold of the fan belt and try to turn it over by hand, can you? Can you feel any compression when you do that??
it's hard to get enough grip on the small bit of belt that's easy to get at - but no I can't turn it over.

thanks
Jimbo

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Jimbo. $350.00 did you say $350.00. WOW. Not much I can add as far as advice other than air filter. I imagine you have already checked that. But if I didn't ask ?? Good luck and keep us posted. Would have stepped in here before now but these other guys are teaching me so much I am almost embarresed to speak up. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
Hi Jimbo. $350.00 did you say $350.00. WOW. Not much I can add as far as advice other than air filter. I imagine you have already checked that. But if I didn't ask ?? Good luck and keep us posted. Would have stepped in here before now but these other guys are teaching me so much I am almost embarresed to speak up. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty
Hi dusty

thanks for joining in, even if only to encourage - I need it:D

I haven't checked the air filter as yet- there were some wise thoughts on here that if the air filter was not "reasonably OK" then there would be lots of black smoke under load...which I don't have:confused:

Anyhow I'll pull it one day soon and take a look - at least to familiarise myself with how to remove/replace it.

thanks
Jimbo

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Since starting and most base functions seem to be ok I wonder about the governor. If it doesn't sense load or rpm change it would not fuel up as needed. :confused: :confused:
Just a thought off the top of my head since I can't see the tractor working. sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. :D :D

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
Since starting and most base functions seem to be ok I wonder about the governor. If it doesn't sense load or rpm change it would not fuel up as needed. :confused: :confused:
Just a thought off the top of my head since I can't see the tractor working. sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. :D :D
hi
would make sense yes, especially as when revved up it increases sslloowwllyy.......

any way to temporarily "cheat" the governor to see if it will rev/power up more?
that way we could cross of fuelling as a major culprit and likely have a solution...:):)

Thanks
Jimbo

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Just a thought..... see my prior post. Chugging l 245. Sounds like what you decribe. ....try cracking the steel fuel line at each fuel injector while its running one at a time make sure the pump is getting fuel to each cylinder. Mine would run on one cylinder and drag the other two. The fix was simple. Let me know if I can help.
JWB

jimbo

Equipment
B6100D, FEL
Apr 3, 2010
yorkshire, uk
Just a thought..... see my prior post. Chugging l 245. Sounds like what you decribe. ....try cracking the steel fuel line at each fuel injector while its running one at a time make sure the pump is getting fuel to each cylinder. Mine would run on one cylinder and drag the other two. The fix was simple. Let me know if I can help.
JWB
thanks JWB and all other contibutors - I believe I've made a discovery - studying the throttle linkages it became apparent that there were 2 stop rods.... and that because of this mess the throttle rod was not optimally adjusted.

I decided to take it all off and sort out as best I could - so I removed one dodgy stop rod and sorted out the throttle rod linkages so that they worked *right up to the throttle stop*......aha:D:D:D:D:D

Now we have some more action, (and more smoke :D)
Result - power:D:D

So it was a fuel problem all along, just not a blockage as such rather a basket case stop rod setup and a badly adjusted linkage.

I expect there will be more questions now it moves a bit quicker:D:D

Thanks everyone

Jimbo

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Congratulations on that find Jimbo :D

Hey, now you can use the other 50% of your property that has hills going UP :rolleyes: