Greasing time

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
It's time for the first lube on the new BX23S, I'm guessing I'm going to need about 2 tubes of grease? I noticed that it was lubed with the red grease so I better stick with that. I read that it's not good to commingle different colors of grease even if they have the same ratings?

TIA for any advice.

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
It's time for the first lube on the new BX23S, I'm guessing I'm going to need about 2 tubes of grease? I noticed that it was lubed with the red grease so I better stick with that. I read that it's not good to commingle different colors of grease even if they have the same ratings?

TIA for any advice.

I think I learned that can of grease=can of worms on the forum of opinions. For my 23S I have switched to the Kubota polyurea for everything. Is that the best choice for everything and the cheapest? Probably not but at this point in life I don’t have the time or energy to earn a second PhD in greases. LOL. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

TIA for any advice.
two tubes? and changing grease colors aint a bad thing.... radiator fluid, perhaps. Sometimes I change the color - simply to see the new color squeeze out.

My problem - I probably grease too much, I have too much ooze ouT!:D

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
two tubes? and changing grease colors aint a bad thing.... radiator fluid, perhaps. Sometimes I change the color - simply to see the new color squeeze out.

My problem - I probably grease too much, I have too much ooze ouT!:D
With two tubes I bet he got more grease oozing out then you lol.best thing I did was buy a cordless grease gun,so much easier and faster

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a Dewalt cordless grease gun 20V this past spring. It was $200. on Amazon but what a great tool. Quick and easy.
You'd not regret getting one.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest

TIA for any advice.
You'll use maybe half of one tube. Get full synthetic grease. Lasts like 8X longer, so you don't have to grease as often

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
You'll use maybe half of one tube. Get full synthetic grease. Lasts like 8X longer, so you don't have to grease as often

I have some semi synthetic Amalie EP on the shelf that was used on an excavator(not mine). It's green but I don't care about color as long as it does the job.

Thanks for your input.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Buy the tubes by the case and save some money.

Don't skimp on your greasing intervals - even with synthetic. Grease is cheaper than replacing pins and bushings. You can't over grease, only under grease.

A good rule of thumb is to grease all fittings every time you fill the tractor. In my case it works out to every 10-12 hours tractor hours. If you start trying to extend intervals you will start forgetting to grease things altogether.

I hate greasing too. Spend money now and buy a lock-n-lube grease nipple for your grease gun. You will hate greasing less and be willing to do it more often.

Last edited:

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
I was at my dealer recently (Messicks) picking up some filters etc and had asked them. They recommended if I was gonna have 1 grease gun to just fill it with high temp grease. It is overkill for most of the joints but good for the parts that spin a ton (like the mower deck).
Not using this link as a sales pitch, its just the exact grease they sold me.

https://www.messicks.com/part/9861804ds/grease

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
The selling dealer told me to use "Lucas Red and Tacky" so I have and he told me to grease it at the end of each day using it. So I have. ;)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Greasing loader pins, bucket pins and backhoe/excavator pins do more than lubricate, it also pushes out any dirt and water that gets in there while using it. That’s why it is more important to grease frequently, than what you use for grease. Lubricant for bearings and u-joints need good quality grease rated for higher temperatures. For small tractors, comprising and get a good quality grease and just using 1 grease gun is all you need. Unless you use it every day for 8 hours a day, a tube will go quite a while.

shiraz627

Equipment
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
Lubed the FEL and the BH, only one fitting on the BH gave me a little trouble. Besides the treadle peddle are there any fitting under the machine?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Lubed the FEL and the BH, only one fitting on the BH gave me a little trouble. Besides the treadle peddle are there any fitting under the machine?
Nothing under - the one that gave you trouble - did it take grease at all?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

A lot of truth in that statement. Grease is like everything else, you get what you pay for.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Don't forget the front axle pivot! My L48 has one at the front of the axle on one side, then one on the rear but from the opposite side of the machine. I think I've missed one every other time I grease the machine.

I also use red n tacky. I use that $*it on everything. Tractor, truck, atv, sled .....

It's been said in previous threads of the same subject, frequent use of the wrong grease is better than infrequent of the perfect stuff.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You guys using red n tacky, what are you paying. It was almost $6 a tube at Wally last night. Is that about right?

I was surprised it was that high.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You guys using red n tacky, what are you paying. It was almost $6 a tube at Wally last night. Is that about right?

I was surprised it was that high.
autozone is high
https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...cas-oil-14-oz-red-and-tacky-grease/693860_0_0

lowes is high
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lucas-Oil-Products-14-oz-Red-N-Tacky-Grease/50353738

wally world is under 5 (at least online!)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Oil-10005-Red-N-Tacky-Grease-14-oz/36052506

amazon is :

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10005-Tacky-Grease/dp/B000ARPVO8

even at 5 bucks.....seems a little high!:D