Flat face coupler won't connect.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I had to replace a blown hydraulic line on my BX. Now, I can't connect the flat faced connector. I think the rigid part of the connection is hitting part of the cab not allowing the connector to go in straight.. Does anyone here have a potential remedy for this?

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I had to replace a blown hydraulic line on my BX. Now, I can't connect the flat faced connector. I think the rigid part of the connection is hitting part of the cab not allowing the connector to go in straight.. Does anyone here have a potential remedy for this?

Looks like if you had to you could loosen the bolt holding the bracket that holds the bottom hose to help align things. Sometimes it can help to pull down on the locking collar on the bottom hose when you try to put them together.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Looks like if you had to you could loosen the bolt holding the bracket that holds the bottom hose to help align things.
Yeah, that would be a short term solution. Or maybe just leave that bolt loose for connecting the backhoe. Or just loosen it everytime. That won't be too bad.

Sometimes it can help to pull down on the locking collar on the bottom hose when you try to put them together.
I tried that. No dice.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Where did your original hose blow at? Pictures in your other post show the crimped fitting on the hose appears to be hitting the cab much like the issue you are having now. It also looked like the hose was possibly rubbing the top link pivot or the top link was pulling on it when raised (looked really close in the pics). Think you need to route the hose different at both spots or it may be a never ending battle;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe you can remove the bolt holding the clamp at the connector. Then put a thick washer under the angled bracket to get it further from the cab.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
D2 beat me to it lol,but I also thought if you unbolt that bracket and put it on the other side of whatever is over it might get u enough clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why not remove the male coupler and install a swivel elbow and then the coupler??

I spy teflon tape on the fittings. Big no-no with hydraulics. Always paste, never tape.

Never heard of flat faced couplers on anything but skid steers. Sure they aren't Pioneer?

I don't care for the vertical interface anyway. Just an invitation to get dirt in the coupler if not connected. I prefer my interfaces to be horizontal.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Where did your original hose blow at? Pictures in your other post show the crimped fitting on the hose appears to be hitting the cab much like the issue you are having now. It also looked like the hose was possibly rubbing the top link pivot or the top link was pulling on it when raised (looked really close in the pics). Think you need to route the hose different at both spots or it may be a never ending battle;)
I'm not sure but, now that you mention that, I think you're right. That probably was the point of failure.

Also think the dealer should have noticed that when they put the cab on it.
Yeah....agreed.

Maybe you can remove the bolt holding the clamp at the connector. Then put a thick washer under the angled bracket to get it further from the cab.
Good call! Will try that tomorrow.

D2 beat me to it lol,but I also thought if you unbolt that bracket and put it on the other side of whatever is over it might get u enough clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not remove the male coupler and install a swivel elbow and then the coupler??

I spy teflon tape on the fittings. Big no-no with hydraulics. Always paste, never tape.

Never heard of flat faced couplers on anything but skid steers. Sure they aren't Pioneer?

I don't care for the vertical interface anyway. Just an invitation to get dirt in the coupler if not connected. I prefer my interfaces to be horizontal.

Just my thoughts on the situation.
Not tape. It's paste. I think.

Flat faced couplers are on the BX80 series.

This connection is always in line. It connects to the tractor or backhoe. Never not connected during operation.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's amazing how you get answers when you have pictures of the situation! They really help.

Flip, flat face couplers are very common. On equipment that has hyd. cylinders the mfgr. will offer either as a choice..FF or Pioneer style.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's amazing how you get answers when you have pictures of the situation! They really help.

Flip, flat face couplers are very common. On equipment that has hyd. cylinders the mfgr. will offer either as a choice..FF or Pioneer style.
Here in JD country, everything is Pioneer, so are both my Kubby's. Now my Bobcat Skid has flat faced couplers.

Think I'd install a right angle swivel fitting on the hose and then the male end. Eliminates the hose rub issue and allows the hose to move as well. Flat faced or Pioneer makes no difference.

I can see an advantage in a flat face in as much as you don't need a dust cap and no recess to collect crap. Like I said, have them on the bobcat but never used them. Just the bucket.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
With the hoses separated, can you move the center of the bottom hose down against the spring? If there is pressure on that hose, it won't connect. Wrap a rag around the fitting and tap it with a screw driver and hammer to release pressure in the bottom hose. if that's the problem, you will get a small gush of oil and it will clip together.

1964vette

Equipment
BX23S TLB 60" belly mower
Mar 1, 2018
Buchanan VA
Newbie here,I have a BX23s both hoses that connect to this fixed port have 90 degree elbows.?? Just my observation

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
With the hoses separated, can you move the center of the bottom hose down against the spring? If there is pressure on that hose, it won't connect. Wrap a rag around the fitting and tap it with a screw driver and hammer to release pressure in the bottom hose. if that's the problem, you will get a small gush of oil and it will clip together.
I will give this a shot.
Newbie here,I have a BX23s both hoses that connect to this fixed port have 90 degree elbows.?? Just my observation
Yeah. That would make more sense. Unfortunately mine is straight.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The moving parts on both male amd female fittings move easily. I just cant get the last little bit in.

Not sure i have a wrench to get to that nut mentioned earlier either. Without removint the quick disconnect that is.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I'm able to get the connect that I'd taken off of the backhoe in with no issue so I think it is definitely an interference issue. The problem now is the line that I need to connect has male threads and the 90 is made by a male to male 90. So that plan is shot down.

I'm now thinking about just getting another female connector to come off of that 90 to make my connection. Anybody see anything wrong with that line of thought?

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Can you send me a picture of your connection here? I just modified mine to be on a 90° elbow and ended up bending the steel line that the fixed connector connects to when i raised the 3 point hitch. Also, does anybody have a part number for this line? It's not leaking but I don't like leaving it this way. Or, is it ok to bend this line back?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I kept quiet and wish I won't have.

I wanted to suggest you just bend the line so that the Quick connect fitting plane would clear the back of the cab.
In other words bend the line so that the fitting pointed towards the rear a little.

You should have no issue with bending the line back and then a little farther so it will clear the cab, the lines are made from soft steel giving them the ability to not just crack from sudden changes in hydraulic pressure. ;)