Epiphany

Status
Not open for further replies.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Glad y'all are okay I work in an area of town where a lot of stolen cars are around also drugs. I am a supervisor we have several guys that drive lawn mowers and tractors around our facilities. I worry about that all the time.
While I would not want there is "lot stolen cars and drugs" to be anywhere..... sad to hear it's got a foot hold there. Spent my childhood in PC and many weekends in Milton, Niceville. Sisters and my best friend did some of their college at PJC and UWF

PorkBolt

Equipment
B2601, 60" MMM, SSQA FEL, Kubota Ballast Box
Sep 22, 2015
Elburn, Illinois
Update:

My daughter is back to normal, back to school, and is doing great. Asked me if our new tractor would be green???

Once again thanks for all the good thoughts and advice. As of this morning they have found the vehicle and the responsible individual! Calling body shops and the towing agencies worked!! This is a class 2 felony in our state. The collaboration and cooperation of our local law enforcement has been phenomenal.

On a side note, homeowners is covering everything (whew!). I would recommend to everyone that if you insure your equipment via home owners, make sure you separate your implements; the pulverizer was not covered.

More to come; have a great weekend and may God keep you and yours safe and healthy

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
AMEN.

Glad they caught the guy. Maybe he'll squeal on anyone else involved. Hope the prosecutor doesn't allow the defense attorney to plea bargain this down to a lesser charge.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
PorkBolt, glad to hear things are working out.

I have a question, how/where was your daughter situated on the tractor? How were you and her protected, by seat belts?

Might help others.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Update:

My daughter is back to normal, back to school, and is doing great. Asked me if our new tractor would be green???

Once again thanks for all the good thoughts and advice. As of this morning they have found the vehicle and the responsible individual! Calling body shops and the towing agencies worked!! This is a class 2 felony in our state. The collaboration and cooperation of our local law enforcement has been phenomenal.

On a side note, homeowners is covering everything (whew!). I would recommend to everyone that if you insure your equipment via home owners, make sure you separate your implements; the pulverizer was not covered.

More to come; have a great weekend and may God keep you and yours safe and healthy
Porkbolt,

Thank you for sharing your story and some good insurance advice. I'm glad all is well and back to normal.

That was a frisky and close call for you and your Daughter.

Burt

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
I'm glad that you both came out of this without being maimed.
I'm sure others are thinking (but not saying) that a tractor is probably not appropriate to be run on a public (?) road to look at horses.
Locally, farm tractors with implements can be moved upon a highway from field to field, or to a business selling fertilizer and return to the farm. Tractors have one seat for one operator. Idk Illinois law pertaining to car seats.
It probably goes without saying, jaunts to see the horses might best be accomplished in a cage.
Bottom line tractors are not toys or vehicles, rather, a piece of heavy equipment.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I don't necessarily agree with lakebota. It really depends on the community and the roads and other considerations. A responsible adult and parent can make that call and it's okay by me. I don't think there was any responsibility to be had by PorkBolt if the tractor was being operated in a legal and safe manner.

I let my 5 yr. old son in the seat with me and he drives the wheel. My dad did that for me. Tractors, fathers and kids have gone together for as long as they've been around, or so I'd guess. The fault lies solidly with the drunk driver. The risk is the parents and as long as it's low, I think PorkBolt is just fine.

Here's my munchkin playing with some buddy's the Kubota picked up...

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I don't necessarily agree with lakebota. It really depends on the community and the roads and other considerations. A responsible adult and parent can make that call and it's okay by me. I don't think there was any responsibility to be had by PorkBolt if the tractor was being operated in a legal and safe manner.

I let my 5 yr. old son in the seat with me and he drives the wheel. My dad did that for me. Tractors, fathers and kids have gone together for as long as they've been around, or so I'd guess. The fault lies solidly with the drunk driver. The risk is the parents and as long as it's low, I think PorkBolt is just fine.

Here's my munchkin playing with some buddy's the Kubota picked up...
Actually in many states it is illegal to have a child not in their own seat with their own seat belt. It is unthinkable to be driving out on the road with a child sitting on your lap. Too many kids have died as riders on tractors falling off and getting run over by the tractor operator, usually the parent. I had a fellow student in school who fell off her fathers tractor riding with him tedding out hay and went threw the hay tedder behind permanently damaging her back. Accidents happen in a flash and the results can not be taken back. The OP is extremely lucky that nobody was seriously hurt and also that his Home Owners will cover this. A lot of Home Owners policies will only cover you if you are on your own property. Will not cover if out on the road.

Sharryn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
'15 B3350, LA534A Loader, Land Pride RTA1258 Tiller, BH77 Backhoe, Forks
Aug 31, 2015
Alexandria, PA USA
Wow, Porkbolt, so glad you and your daughter came out of this without injury. God had a guardian angel watching out for the both of you that day.

Just an add-on about insurance. When I got my B3350 about a month ago I contacted my homeowners carrier and was told to purchase an Inland Marine policy. Mine only cost about $150 for a year and it lists each individual piece of equipment, so I know it's all covered. It also covers more than your homeowners policy would cover, including theft, water damage, vandalism and I don't remember now what else, but well worth the peace of mind.

Please keep us up to date on the progress of the "perp"

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I got a brand new rope out in the garage and happen to know where there is this really big ant hill

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
I got a brand new rope out in the garage and happen to know where there is this really big ant hill
For the op?

Illinois law: (trumps any local law that likely does not exist)

"Child Car Seat

In Illinois, the Child Passenger Protection Act states:

A child under the age of 8 years old must be secured in a child safety seat. However, if the vehicle is equipped with lap belts only in the back seat, a child weighing more than 40 lbs. may be transported in the back seat wearing a lap belt only.
Drivers and all passengers must be secured in either a seat belt or child safety seat.
Children under 18 years old must wear seat belts when they are riding in vehicles driven by people under 18 years old.

No where can be found a law covering transporting a kid on a tractor on (or off) a public way on a tractor.

I did come across this info

Veiled threats on the internet sure do not add a lot to a discussion.

We don't all have to agree. As a retired Engineer I think in black or white; I think that certainly the op's activity *contributed* to an event that could have been avoided. Public roads are public places. Would anyone have thought different if the individual that hit the tractor was a newly licensed driver, your wife, the 80 year old neighbor, or them self?

Keep in mind statistics show that a good amount of drivers are driving on public streets impaired (alcohol, drugs or other).

Me, I'll keep my grand kids on the farm or in a car seat in a cage when driving on a public road (not a safe place).

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
For the op?....
Lakebota skeet's comment aimed at the person who hit the tractor is an obvious Dysphemism. The world is not black and white.

That being said; Like abortion, spanking, wearing helmets on bicycles, taking kid for ride on tractor etc, reasoning for or against.... can go on forever. Thus closing this thread so not to end up with a waste members time doing same

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.