Electric Car in your future?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I added a 30A outlet for my RV, it wasn't much more than pocket change.

To do that here in Ontario(legally ) , you have to pull(pay for) TWO permits ,have a certified electrician sign off on the install (you can do the work...) and then have ESA come in inspect and pass the install.
Naturally there's a 'preinspection' done to confirm the feed in and panel has the capacity. I believe you must have 2 empty breaker spots, at least on new installs.

'Little' details like height of receptacle from floor are kinda important. Neighbour just had 200A service installed and HIS electrician did NOT use the Ontario Hydro approved meter base. Guess they all aren't the same ?? Fortunately, he came back PDQ ,swapped bases ,tidied up JUST before the 4 big trucks left for the day...... Had they left, it'd be another 3 weeks before they could come back....

Oh yeah the other 'little ' detail. If you (or you get someone..) to do electrical work and it is NOT inspected and passed, then there's an 'electrical fire', some insurance companies will not pay out your claim.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
FYI When it's really cold out Tesla disables the regenerative braking until the battery heater gets the batteries up to temperature.

EV'a are good in warmer climates, take a big hit when it gets cold out. For me that's 4-6 months a year.
Leaf does the same thing. The battery heater supposedly never kicks and doesn't stay on above +14F of actual battery temperature, not air temperature. So if its too cold for regen braking it's probably going to stay too cold for regenerative braking.
If I had a almost dead leaf battery I could create a way to kick the battery heater on. Probably power it with external 120v power like an engine block heater, have it cut off at 40 or 50F.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
re: I added a 30A outlet for my RV, it wasn't much more than pocket change.

To do that here in Ontario(legally ) , you have to pull(pay for) TWO permits ,have a certified electrician sign off on the install (you can do the work...) and then have ESA come in inspect and pass the install.
Naturally there's a 'preinspection' done to confirm the feed in and panel has the capacity. I believe you must have 2 empty breaker spots, at least on new installs.

'Little' details like height of receptacle from floor are kinda important. Neighbour just had 200A service installed and HIS electrician did NOT use the Ontario Hydro approved meter base. Guess they all aren't the same ?? Fortunately, he came back PDQ ,swapped bases ,tidied up JUST before the 4 big trucks left for the day...... Had they left, it'd be another 3 weeks before they could come back....

Oh yeah the other 'little ' detail. If you (or you get someone..) to do electrical work and it is NOT inspected and passed, then there's an 'electrical fire', some insurance companies will not pay out your claim.
Same here. I have the "wrong meter base installed" the coop will give us the correct meter base for free. "The correct meter" base just let's them pull the meter without interrupting service. They are supposed to calibrate meters every 5 years but they never do.
In the US outside receptacles are supposed to be at least 2 feet above grade.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Ontario Homes Now Required to Support Level 2 Charging

Per the new requirements for detached, semidetached and row homes, each home must be equipped with a minimum 200A panel. This is significant, because prior to these new requirements, most homes had been equipped with the more affordable 100A panel. Homes must also have 27mm conduit leading to 220V, 30A outlet box installed in the garage or driveway.

Knew this was coming, sigh.....
Have a HUGE housing crisis and THIS is what the government demands....
New neighbour was dinged an extra $10K for the required 'upgrade'

The irony is that we're supposed to reduce our energy use ,yet they force up into $$$ 200 A service upgrades.

When the other shoe drops , require the EV support package when pulling a permit for a simple addition, the fan will get very dirty. and HUGE expenses. Somethings ,like the transformer on the pole, are pricey !
That's dumb. A lot of people don't want an electric car. If I still lived in Maine I wouldn't own an electric car. I would probably have a diesel fired heater installed in my liquid fuelled vehicle. I don't miss the half hour warm ups and dicing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Not really dumb, just a GREAT way for the guv to make a LOT of money...from the TAXES. It sounds GREAT to the 'Greenies'... as the new house is EV ready ! After all EVs are the 'rides of the future..and the future is here'. When entire subdivisions get built EV ready ,there's a HUGE cost for the power feeds, transformers, etc. that ALL have to be capable of handling the 'possible' one EV per household. Also as the sales of EVs goes up, the 'window' of cheap 'off peak' power gets smaller and smaller, increasing the cost of electricity.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

🤣🤣🤣

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

🤣🤣🤣
Not picking on Ford, but use heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat?!?!

I wonder how long it’ll take my heated steering wheel to defrost the windshield at 50 mph, 12 degrees F and snowing like crazy!?!🥶❄😎

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The heated seats in my Ford Platinum will keep your buns toasty warm, but the heated steering wheel only takes the chill off of the wheel. Still would need gloves if I didn't have a heated steering wheel.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The heated seats in my Ford Platinum will keep your buns toasty warm, but the heated steering wheel only takes the chill off of the wheel. Still would need gloves if I didn't have a heated steering wheel.
I have to say I never thought about a heated steering wheel. However, we bought a used Lexus GX460. The heated steering wheel is awesome.

Fyi, I prefer to let someone else take the majority of the depreciation on vehicles. We paid about 60% of a new price to buy one perfectly maintained with 32K miles on it. It even had the 30K service done. It was hard to see any wear on the vehicle. Fwiw, that seems pretty normal for Lexus vehicles.

Anyway, I think it depends on the brand and your weather if a heated steering wheel is good or not. We have enough cold days that it's pretty cool along with the adjustable heated seats.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
The EV heater I am familiar with (not Ford) has a max power draw of 5 KW. When the heater output is backed off (vehicle comfy), power consumption goes down. The minimum battery size in the F150 Lightning is 98 KW*HR. So the minimum Lightning battery could power the heater running at max output for 98 KW*HR / 5 KW or 19.6 hours.
The point is that the EV range is not significantly affected by heater usage.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Kinda ironic that the country famous for the 'Alps' ,can't generate it's own electricity. Instead has to buy from France (nukes) and Germany ( Russian gas..well was....)

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Ontario Homes Now Required to Support Level 2 Charging

Per the new requirements for detached, semidetached and row homes, each home must be equipped with a minimum 200A panel. This is significant, because prior to these new requirements, most homes had been equipped with the more affordable 100A panel. Homes must also have 27mm conduit leading to 220V, 30A outlet box installed in the garage or driveway.

Knew this was coming, sigh.....
Have a HUGE housing crisis and THIS is what the government demands....
New neighbour was dinged an extra $10K for the required 'upgrade'

The irony is that we're supposed to reduce our energy use ,yet they force up into $$$ 200 A service upgrades.

When the other shoe drops , require the EV support package when pulling a permit for a simple addition, the fan will get very dirty. and HUGE expenses. Somethings ,like the transformer on the pole, are pricey !
This was a requirement back in 2018-2020 as per building code ammendment. I don't disagree with your feelings on it though. But it's for new construction not anyone that pulls a permit.
As a side note,I built a garage/shop in 2018/2019 and was not required to do this. Upping the meter base to a central 400a, buried line a 100', a 200a service in my shop and wiring it with basic plugs, lights, welding outlets and a few 20a plugs was $7g. I didn't know what I may ever do in this shop so I made it a 200a service in addition to my house. It cost a few grand above the price of just running a line from house and sub panel. Where I live 'up north', stuff is typically more expensive than other areas of this province.
We have a new $1.5billion power line running by our town, gonna hook up 20 communities that rely on diesel generators for power. They can't drive out till wintertime on the ice, I wonder if their new houses will need a plug,lol
Hopefully these charger plugs are tamper resistant like household receptacles for safety sake......(NOT!!!)

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Energy crisises are created. Quit voting for stupidity, stop demanding mentally retarded and socially regressive policies like "shutdown all nuclear power plants" and we won't have this problem.
Maybe when a politician who has had more strokes than real jobs says "I'm going to end fossil fuels" maybe you shouldn't vote for that guy. Because there's a good chance he might try to do it.

Reactions: 3 users