Electric Car in your future?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the real problem is the new 'golden rule'....

those with the gold, make the rules..
those that rule, get the gold.

We can't easily vote OUT the politicians, some are even appointed FOR LIFE !

And then there's the 'tail wagging the dog' problem where every minority gets SPECIAL rights and then CONTROL what happens from then on....

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Energy crisises are caused by governments. So it's a manufactured problem.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
No surprise to me... one of those 'you get what you paid for' deals....
The 'EV engineers' don't design for where YOU live, they design where they live...warm ,sunny California..
Friend's kid came down from the Soo....in her dad's gas pickup truck ! Left her GREATEST vehicle she's ever owned' up north...didn't want to chance having to stop 3 or 4 TIMES to get here ( 7-8 hr trip).

If you look into what goes on 'inside the battery pack', you'll understand why they are a friggin nighmare. Gone are the days of recharging Ni-Cads with a diode and cap, now you need a microcomputer and a LOT of other stuff on EACH cell of the Li-ion battery pack...

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
When they get all the bugs worked out..... sure. Right now....... nope. Make me an electric truck with a 350-400 mile range WHILE TOWING, and make it rechargeable in 20 minutes or less, and I'll buy one. Don't care about it's 0-60 speed, top speed, or it's fancy extras. Make one that does what I need a truck to do.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Having spent 1/2 a century designing battery powered' equipment it baffles me that 'they' built for '0 to 60 in 3 seconds' instead of DISTANCE !! With a few minor 'tweaks' of the 'computer', it is possible to DOUBLE the distance but marketing says everyone wants QUICK like a bunny NOT range.
I could get 3 days of operation in my energy control systems using just 4 Gates SLA batteries, the ones the US nuke subs were using. Two of them would actually start an original Mini.
Sadly it's not the 'tech' itself that's 'bad', rather the application and how it's used, that is bad.
It is possible to get 80% recharge(aka full charge ) in under 30 minutes. 5th gen 'super-super chargers' tech does work. Kinda pricey though in the low quantity that would be made.
That guy's 'TESLA trouble' is 'funny' to me. I understand the how and why it happened and the simple 'upgrade' that would prevent it from happening again.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was told that electric cars have battery heaters in them, and the colder it gets the more energy is used to heat the batteries. Cold batteries will not accept a charge so heaters are a necessity. They might be fine in Miami, but not very good in Montreal except in the warmer months. Come to think about it, Miami was 30* yesterday, so not so good in Miami either.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
In the Tesla trouble posted, the built in heaters could not warm up the battery pack as it was tooooo k-k-k-kold. This gets down to 'thermodynamics' and a few simple calculations that can be done on a 4 function calculator. You'd have thought 'T' would have done the math....though in their defense, EVs are NOT supposed to be driven in winter,especially if salt is used.....

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Everyone can keep an oil, gas, or diesel tank at home. Plug in the electric cars to those fuel tanks to run fossil fuel heaters, so you can charge the electric cars. :D.

Makes about as much sense as powering electric cars by fossil fuel plants. ;)

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Everyone can keep an oil, gas, or diesel tank at home. Plug in the electric cars to those fuel tanks to run fossil fuel heaters, so you can charge the electric cars. :D.

They have diesel EV charger stations.
IMG-0738.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Technically, that's a battery bank in the trailer. However, there are gas generator trailers for EVs.

Reactions: 1 user

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I was told that electric cars have battery heaters in them, and the colder it gets the more energy is used to heat the batteries. Cold batteries will not accept a charge so heaters are a necessity. They might be fine in Miami, but not very good in Montreal except in the warmer months. Come to think about it, Miami was 30* yesterday, so not so good in Miami either.
Nissan leaf battery heater doesn't even think about turning on until the inside of the battery is less than +14F.
The battery heater won't kick on with the car unplugged until something like -14F.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM

It's better to burn domestic coal than burn foreign oil.