Does anyone Collect Antique Cars?

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Have I mentioned before I really hate you guys ;) Only wish I could/ smart enough to have kept some of the ones I had back in the day
Me to, 64 Impala SS, 68 GTO 400 with his & hers auto.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Have I mentioned before I really hate you guys ;) Only wish I could/ smart enough to have kept some of the ones I had back in the day
Yep. I have owned a 66 Impala SS396, a 68 Chevelle SS396, and a 69 Nova SS396 L78 (375hp).

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
3 MOPARS one was stolen 71 cuda hemi, a 71 Plymouth Sebring and a 37 Plymouth coupe, but alas life makes us do things we sometimes regret later

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
My 71 Torino GT that I just sold this past summer. Did a full restoration 15 years ago.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
This thread reminds me of when I was 16 yrs old. My friend and I worked at the same place and I would pick him up every day and drop him off from work. He didnt drive ( Got in a touch of trouble with the law), but in his mothers garage he had a primer gray Super Bird 440 6 Pack with pistol grip 4 speed! It was perfect inside and out, just needed paint and decals! It was always partially covered and with car parts stacked on top of it. A few years later he got his license back and got it out on the road. That car was just too fast and I thought for sure he would kill himself the way he drove it! Someone finally offered him a good amount of money and he sold it. If I had only known then what I know now!:mad: Im pretty sure they are now one of the most expensive muscle cars sold at the auctions!

Kencee1953

Equipment
BX23s
Dec 20, 2022
Long Pond
In about 2010 I added to my car collection a 1962 Chevrolet. I have been a car collector for many decades starting with a 1926 Buick Master Country Club Rumble Seat Coupe with a side door for golf clubs. That car was sold sometime in the early 1970s and I have had numerous others that I have treated myself to since retirement in 2020. Now, I am down to 6 collectibles, and I have decided that this one is the last one I purchased it will be the last one to be sold.

View attachment 91876
I have a 1993 Cadillac De Ville that is my "Fun' Car. I also have a 1950 Farmall Cub that has become the "Fun" tractor now that I have my BX23s.

Kencee1953

Equipment
BX23s
Dec 20, 2022
Long Pond
How about a picture of the Farmall Cub?
i don't have a recent picture of mine, but this one is identical to it and in the same condition. I love it enough that I had to keep it when I got the Kubota. My wife wanted me to sell it, but I refused.
Model-54-A-blade.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
over the Christmas "break" (one day of it) I got to visit with family. During conversation my dad asked if I was still playing with mustangs, and yes of course. They aren't antique (at least not by this state's standards) but I still play with em. 1992. I also have a 1975 Ford Maverick, and as of recently a 2022 Mustang ecoboost (definitely not antique). Brother was sitting there as dad and I were chatting and he mentioned that he has no use for the Mustang and that he prefers different cars. Fairlanes Torino, F-100, etc. So I asked him why he don't like Mustangs; he said "everyone's got one". It made me think way back when I had said the same things. I owned a 1983 Ford F100 pickup (not F150...it was the lighter duty F150). It was originally a 300-six, 3 speed column shift that I converted to floor shift with a junkyard-sourced shifter kit. It was junk. The engine had no power, no torque, wouldn't idle, knocked horribly, had zero oil pressure below 2500 RPM (and 3000 is all it would run flat footed in neutral) but I still drove it quite a bit back & forth to work. Picked up a 86 Merkur XR4Ti for a daily driver, give the guy $50 for it and put a fuel pump in it, then retired the truck to "repairs". I stuffed a junkyard 460/C6 in it, did some interior work (used XLT power windows, door panels, Bronco dash w/tach, etc). I don't think it made 300hp but it would pull a house. 2.47 rear gears. Oh, and it'd BOIL one tire. One tire fire! The 8.8 came out and 9" went in, with 3.50 gear. Much better. Pulling the race car home from the track one day and the 460 didn't like it....the old Powerhouse brand flat top pistons knocked some ring lands out and used all 6 quarts of oil in the last 15 miles. The front of the car on the trailer was covered up with oil! Rebuilt the 460 and drove it some more. Then hurt another piston. Parked it again, and picked up a used 4.300 stroke crankshaft, used pistons, but I had to buy rods. Made it a 514". D0VE-C heads, that I did some cleanup work on and did my own big valves, hard seats, guides, and milled to 74cc. It ran really good. Anyway, I kind of got burned out with the truck and put it up for sale. Nobody wanted it since gas prices were "sky high" (at $3/gal at the time) but it really didn't do all that bad on fuel. 15mpg on the highway. So a guy up the way called me out of the blue and asked me if I'd trade the blue truck for a 84 Mustang GT, 5 speed. I drove it, and immediately knew what "mustang" meant. It has a lot of history behind it. Yes I traded on the spot. 6 years later he called me up and said I'd like to trade that black 84 Mustang for a 85 Mustang LX (5.0L auto) AND an 86 Mustang SVO. I knew the SVO. It's a 4 cylinder. Did not really want either of them. I told him let me think on it. The 84, was worth maybe $2500 at the time. I was telling a friend about it, he said "SVO????" Yep SVO. He said you're stupid if you don't trade. So I did. Then I found out how special SVO's are. Turbo 2.3L. 5 speed. They were the best handling Mustang ever produced until I think 1993. I got it going, needed plug wires and a TPS. Thing drove like new. I got bit by the bug. The stock SVO engine made 225hp I think at the time. Remove the airbox and put an open filter on the end of the airflow meter, and they respond with another 20 hp or so, plus all of the sweet sounds that turbo engines make. That was great. Then I did a 3" exhaust, from the turbo to the bumper. That woke it up too. Bigger turbo. Mind you none of that required any tuning to the computer. 20 psi, ported head, exhaust intake, etc-all told I was making maybe 300hp--out of a FOUR cylinder. Surprised a lot of people; including a number of camaro's.

But yes the Mustang has a long history behind it and driving them, Ford designed them such that the history of the brand is apparent in a lot of ways. My 2022, you'd think as different as they are from the 1964.5 models that they have nothing in common, but it still does. It's still a pony car. It's still a Ford mustang through and through. It will not outrun a corvette. It won't put the hurting on a Hellcat Challenger. But it is, a great little car that has not had an interruption of production like the other brands have. Corvette is the exception, but the Mustang has been produced for a long, LONG, time. Challenger charger camaro firebird, all the other muscle and pony cars have not had that long of a production run. And I hear the camaro is going away again which is not surprising.

So yeah my brother can hate all he wants. I'll just drive and enjoy the history.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
lugbolt and his $50 car reminded me of something I had a long, LONG time ago:

1672755446829.jpeg

That's my 1950 Dodge pickup. Sorry, the nose is cropped. It had the stainless grille pieces. I bought it in a sealed bid auction by the local school district....for $25 in 1976. I was the only bidder. It had been used as the broken-down-school-bus chaser. I think the odometer was on it's third go-round when I got it. All original. Got some 16ga galvanized and replaced the floors in the cab, but that's all I ever did to it. Drove the snot out of it! That's our Explorer post, getting set for a canoe trip to Ontario (Lake Kabetogema area). That's me, on the left. The leader of the Post is a dear friend, and sent me this photo a couple of years ago.

I drove that truck back and forth to school (3 hr trip) until about 1981 when, on one return trip, it started throwing compression rings. I was pushing it too hard. That was the end of it. I sold it for...$25.

Flathead engines don't oil the top end very well, and the cast pistons don't like the extra heat. Plus the top compression ring groove in Chrysler flatheads is only about 1/16" from the piston top. When a compression ring goes AWOL, if you listen carefully, you can hear it tinkling down the exhaust pipe.

-Paul

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

View attachment 93420

That's my 1950 Dodge pickup.

My friend a few counties away has got the exact truck, but he's stuffed a 440 in it. Just what he had laying around. Used to race with him at the drag strip before he went crazy. Two DWI's, divorce, lost custody of the kids, etc....I hate it for him but it was all by his own personal decisions. Unfortunate. I've tried to pound it into his brain that he's either gonna have to change or death will catch up with him, and I think as of Christmas day that he's less concerned with death than he is "avoiding a hangover". I told him I want his 1950 Dodge when the time comes.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

View attachment 93420

That's my 1950 Dodge pickup. Sorry, the nose is cropped. It had the stainless grille pieces. I bought it in a sealed bid auction by the local school district....for $25 in 1976. I was the only bidder. It had been used as the broken-down-school-bus chaser. I think the odometer was on it's third go-round when I got it. All original. Got some 16ga galvanized and replaced the floors in the cab, but that's all I ever did to it. Drove the snot out of it! That's our Explorer post, getting set for a canoe trip to Ontario (Lake Kabetogema area). That's me, on the left. The leader of the Post is a dear friend, and sent me this photo a couple of years ago.

I drove that truck back and forth to school (3 hr trip) until about 1981 when, on one return trip, it started throwing compression rings. I was pushing it too hard. That was the end of it. I sold it for...$25.

Flathead engines don't oil the top end very well, and the cast pistons don't like the extra heat. Plus the top compression ring groove in Chrysler flatheads is only about 1/16" from the piston top. When a compression ring goes AWOL, if you listen carefully, you can hear it tinkling down the exhaust pipe.

-Paul
Wow! Talk about back to the future! The guy in the center is taking a selfie! 😳😂

• Love

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I don't collect classic cars. Just an ol' tractor I know and love like family.

I do get to hang around some neat classic cars regularly though. Been on the Board of Trustees for 20+ years. Seen everything from '30's Henderson motorcycles, to Duesenbergs, up to Shelby Mustangs and Superbirds. Exhibits vary with time.

Neat place:

Northeast Classic Car Museum – Over 170 classic and vintage vehicles on display!

Our friend Daren Todd was there years ago. He liked it.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
picked up a 1962 Ford Falcon this last week. Didn't take any pics of it, and it's sitting currently in a storage building until I can move my stuff around in the shop at the house. Probably have it home in a week or so. 2 door, 6 cylinder 3 speed.

Plan is a STREET cruiser. I have a 5.4L engine from a Lincoln Navigator that'll go in it. Of course they don't fit, so Mustang II front suspension is the norm. Driver quality. I don't want a show car. I drive my stuff. I'm thinking I'll throw together a nicely build 4R70W transmission to fit behind it to retain street manners. Quiet exhaust. Nothing extravagant. GF might actually drive it. She won't drive the 92 Mustang, too noisy too much power for her, too jerky. But I'm pretty sure she'll like the Falcon with a mostly stock 5.4L. Silky smooth running but still makes about 350hp. The only engine mod that needs done on it is the intake and possibly exhaust. The factory Intech intake manifold is extremely restrictive; but makes a lot of torque down low to move the 6000lb Navigator body around. The Falcon is only about 2700 lbs, plus the factory intake just sucks, and it's ugly. I have a Sullivan spider-type intake that goes right on. With that, and some creative modification to the cam covers, it pays homage to the old SOHC 427 FE's that were more period correct. Someone said why not use a coyote? Because they don't look correct, and they cost 5x more for JUST the engine than I paid for the entire car...and even then there's no guarantee it's any good at that cost, so a rebuild is likely. This 5.4 is of known condition because I had it in another project at one point. The cost of the Coyote 5.0 is it's nemesis, and the sellers who sell them know it--but the downside is that because of that cost, they're giving the "LS" gm engines another reason to find their way into non GM platforms. They're smaller and lighter and a LOT less expensive to buy initially. Us hobbiests take note of the latter more than anything else. Cheap is good and those "LS" engines are certainly cheap.