Does anyone Collect Antique Cars?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Have I mentioned before I really hate you guys ;) Only wish I could/ smart enough to have kept some of the ones I had back in the day

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am not exactly a collector but I do own and drive a 1922 Ford Model T Runabout. When I bought it in March of 2021 it had not been moved in more than 15 years. It did not run when I bought it but the body was straight and pretty good for a 100 year old car. It is all original. It has the original engine, transmission, and drive line. This car is not a show car, it is an unrestored survivor car. I bought it with the intention of driving it regularly and that is exactly what I do.

It took me a couple weeks to get it running. It also needed a rebuild of the rear end and new transmission bands. Once I got it running I started driving it almost daily. Since I bought it I have put on almost 3000 miles. I use it to run to the stores in town and really anywhere locally for honey-do tasks. Although the car has been clocked at 48 MPH, I do not drive it faster than 35 MPH anymore because I blew the engine last May, probably from over-revving the engine too many times. Locating an original replacement piston for the one that a broken valve punched a hole in was a little difficult. I could have upgraded the pistons to aluminum but I wanted to keep the engine all original like the rest of the car. I ended up replacing all the valves, valve springs, and keepers since I was that far into the repair. Now I seldom drive it faster than 35 MPH. I do not want to take a chance with damaging the engine again. Anyway, here is a picture of it.

20211231_133623.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
How old is "antique" for you? I have three classics ('90 Mercedes 300SE, '89 Land Rover Santana and '79 Monte Carlo), which eventually will reach the "antique" stage.

Wish I could get a '65 Galaxie 2-door hardtop Coupe, but I've run out of garage space - blame Kubota... 😚

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Guy 2 doors down had LOTS of 65 galaxies, well 8 or 9, is that a lot ? sad thing is he died, the estate 'binned' all but 2 of them, even the complete ,rebuilt 'rolling chassis'.
I don't have room for any 'toys' otherwise I'd have brought them home....
sad.
I've sold al my 'toys'... 4 , '67 stangs, 4 mid 70s CJ-5, 3 57 Willys(4wd pickup, sedan delivery, stn wagon), 68 dart,several Ford pickups, 57 chevy panel delivery.
I could carve out room for one toy, would like a Willys FC-150

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
How old is "antique" for you? I have three classics ('90 Mercedes 300SE, '89 Land Rover Santana and '79 Monte Carlo), which eventually will reach the "antique" stage.

Wish I could get a '65 Galaxie 2-door hardtop Coupe, but I've run out of garage space - blame Kubota... 😚
All of those would qualify as antiques in almost all 50 states. Most of the states call it an antique or collectible after 25 model years, and a few states have bumped it up to 40 years because some of the Japanese imports are so durable that people are still driving them as everyday cars. For the purpose of this thread, post some pictures, because they are definitely old enough to deserve recognition.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All of those would qualify as antiques in almost all 50 states. Most of the states call it an antique or collectible after 25 model years, and a few states have bumped it up to 40 years because some of the Japanese imports are so durable that people are still driving them as everyday cars. For the purpose of this thread, post some pictures, because they are definitely old enough to deserve recognition.
If 25 years is considered antique there are probably many members here with antique tractors !!

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
OK, DustyRusty! You asked for it! 😚

DSC08647.JPG
img014.jpg

DSC09191.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Eight or 9, and binned? That breaks my heart... 😭

It's my favorite american car ever since we had one in the early '70s (sadly ending with the first oil crisis...).

Italie tweeenzeventig048.jpg

Guy 2 doors down had LOTS of 65 galaxies, well 8 or 9, is that a lot ? sad thing is he died, the estate 'binned' all but 2 of them, even the complete ,rebuilt 'rolling chassis'.
I don't have room for any 'toys' otherwise I'd have brought them home....
sad.
I've sold al my 'toys'... 4 , '67 stangs, 4 mid 70s CJ-5, 3 57 Willys(4wd pickup, sedan delivery, stn wagon), 68 dart,several Ford pickups, 57 chevy panel delivery.
I could carve out room for one toy, would like a Willys FC-150

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
marketplace ad said that an estate was being sold by heirs. Heirs had no use for the vehicles. There were 29 vehicles left when I got there, ranging from, well, about everything. 57 Ford victoria, 85 Merkur, 92 Taurus SHO, 77 Monza, etc.

In that collection I spied a 1974 Ford Maverick and immediately inquired about it. They said sure it's for sale, hold on let me go see if we got a title for it. 5 min later she comes out with a title. "Make me an offer". I walked over to it, looked it over and found rusty floor pans; but the body itself was pretty good given the age. I offered em $1500. She said I'll crush it before I take 1500. Ok cool. What about this 1992 Thunderbird that is missing it's engine? She says $3500, any less and it goes to the crusher. Hmm. Well, I'm seeing a pattern here. Once more I tried, 67 Fairlane (always wanted one). No engine in it, and pretty rusty but fixable. $4500 she says. "Or it goes to crusher". Ma'am, no disrespect intended but are any of these vehicles actually for sale to a collector that will save them? Or--would you rather crush them for $100-$200 each? She says she'll crush 'em. left her my card and told her that when they are ready to sell I will make a one-time final offer.

just gets me. "I'm gonna ask an outrageous price, or it'll go to the crusher". Noone is going to pay an outlandish price for a vehicle that is worth less than what they're asking. Not a collector not a crusher, nobody. Tells me they really aren't willing to sell them and/or they're looking for that one idiot with a bunch of money that's burning holes. Trust me on this, those folks, in this hobby, aren't easy to find. If the exist at all.

Reactions: 1 users

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Some people live in cloudcuckooland. Sad though to see fixable cars go to waste.

marketplace ad said that an estate was being sold by heirs. Heirs had no use for the vehicles. There were 29 vehicles left when I got there, ranging from, well, about everything. 57 Ford victoria, 85 Merkur, 92 Taurus SHO, 77 Monza, etc.

In that collection I spied a 1974 Ford Maverick and immediately inquired about it. They said sure it's for sale, hold on let me go see if we got a title for it. 5 min later she comes out with a title. "Make me an offer". I walked over to it, looked it over and found rusty floor pans; but the body itself was pretty good given the age. I offered em $1500. She said I'll crush it before I take 1500. Ok cool. What about this 1992 Thunderbird that is missing it's engine? She says $3500, any less and it goes to the crusher. Hmm. Well, I'm seeing a pattern here. Once more I tried, 67 Fairlane (always wanted one). No engine in it, and pretty rusty but fixable. $4500 she says. "Or it goes to crusher". Ma'am, no disrespect intended but are any of these vehicles actually for sale to a collector that will save them? Or--would you rather crush them for $100-$200 each? She says she'll crush 'em. left her my card and told her that when they are ready to sell I will make a one-time final offer.

just gets me. "I'm gonna ask an outrageous price, or it'll go to the crusher". Noone is going to pay an outlandish price for a vehicle that is worth less than what they're asking. Not a collector not a crusher, nobody. Tells me they really aren't willing to sell them and/or they're looking for that one idiot with a bunch of money that's burning holes. Trust me on this, those folks, in this hobby, aren't easy to find. If the exist at all.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Father in law passed several years ago. In the garage is his favorite model A and a 4 door Ford Deluxe from the 40's ( neat suicide doors). The garage is filled with parts from spark plugs to engine blocks plus stuff that only a car lover can identify.
Mom can not seem to let them go so they just sit. A real shame as they were drivers and the A has done several Glidden tours around the north east.
She knows all the local car club people and we are trying to get her to open to garage doors and take what ever she is offered.
I am afraid once she passes my brother in law will want all the stuff put up for auction and get top dollar. The locals that used to drink beer and swap parts in the driveway will be the real losers if that happens.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Father in law passed several years ago. In the garage is his favorite model A and a 4 door Ford Deluxe from the 40's ( neat suicide doors). The garage is filled with parts from spark plugs to engine blocks plus stuff that only a car lover can identify.
Mom can not seem to let them go so they just sit. A real shame as they were drivers and the A has done several Glidden tours around the north east.
She knows all the local car club people and we are trying to get her to open to garage doors and take what ever she is offered.
I am afraid once she passes my brother in law will want all the stuff put up for auction and get top dollar. The locals that used to drink beer and swap parts in the driveway will be the real losers if that happens.
Pick one of the cars and ask her if she will give it to you. Keep it in the family. She can write out her wishes of how she wants her personal property disposed of, and the executor of the estate is bound by those wishes.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Pick one of the cars and ask her if she will give it to you. Keep it in the family. She can write out her wishes of how she wants her personal property disposed of, and the executor of the estate is bound by those wishes.
Tried that. The stuff all goes to the estate. So they will sit in the garage and slowly rust and the mice will make a home.
It is a real shame. The local 'old Ford' crew all know that these cars are not best of show in appearance but they are mechanically perfect.
I swear the old man could lay hands on a flat head V8 and tell you exactly what condition it was in.