Dang raccoons

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Friggin things just keep coming and I believe I figured out why. Of and on through the summer I noticed where cars would pull over to the side on the dirt road before they got to my driveway and then make a u turn. At first I thought people were back dumping their garbage but no it's been fairly clean as of late. Then I thought it may be old buggers like me that have to pee at every turn and then it dawned on me they're catching these little buggers in live traps and making their problems mine the S.O B.'s Suffice to say that when I relocate them they don't come back, not my first choice but what can you do.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We were out at the farm Saturday and my wife said look at that big squirrel. It then started climbing down the tree and she saw it was a big old coon.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
No coon issues, we had a skunk crop dust the front of the house on Saturday evening. LUCKILY the dog was spared a direct hit but my Lord that stinker blew up the house. Amazing how that smell settles into anything and everything.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Coach, this is the formula to get rid of the skunk odor on dogs. It also will work to spray on you siding where he sprayed. Use any kind of sprayer, small or large!

¼ cup of baking soda.
1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
Leave on for five minutes.
Rinse with warm water.
Follow with dog shampoo if desired.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been trapping and relocating coons all summer. I take them across the river to the State game area and turn them loose. The no kill Havaheart trap has been getting a workout as of late.

Wife found the best bait. Marshmallows. All it takes is one masrhmallow per coon.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Re-locating is bad policy, just makes your problem someone else's problem. Here in MA it is a large fine for re-locating a nuisance animal. I use a have-a-heart trap but the bugger usually dies of lead poisoning before release.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Coach, this is the formula to get rid of the skunk odor on dogs. It also will work to spray on you siding where he sprayed. Use any kind of sprayer, small or large!

¼ cup of baking soda.
1-2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory Snow.
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
Mix in a bucket and use immediately.
Work the foaming mixture well into the coat.
Leave on for five minutes.
Rinse with warm water.
Follow with dog shampoo if desired.
Thanks D2!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have a very nice little .22lr pistol for dispatching raccoons that end up in my live trap. Then the carcass gets tossed in the river.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I would eliminate them but my wife won't allow it so they go to the state game area (like I said before). Not my idea, hers. I can always tell when one (or more has taken up residence in the barn). The dry cat food is gone, the water has dirt in it and there are poles of coon crap everywhere. Out come the trap and in goes a marshmallow. They love marshmallows.

Trapped a wood pussy once. I learned how to open the trap without getting perfumed too.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Re-locating is bad policy, just makes your problem someone else's problem. Here in MA it is a large fine for re-locating a nuisance animal. I use a have-a-heart trap but the bugger usually dies of lead poisoning before release.
Our Havahart trap used to fall out of the back of a pickup into the brook or pond for a couple hours before it was found again.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I have a friend who feeds several cattle. He says the coons eat more than the cattle. His son and a buddy set up one night with their 22's. They would turn the lights off wait a little bit flip them on and shoot as many as the could. Turn the lights off back on a do it again. They stayed at it 3 or 4 hours and at daylight had dispatched 62!! Had to get the backhoe out to dig a bid enough hole to bury them.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Meet George. Used to show up pretty regular to steal my suet feeders (2 never found). Put the run on him with broom which must have made an impression as we haven't seen him for a while.

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have a friend who feeds several cattle. He says the coons eat more than the cattle. His son and a buddy set up one night with their 22's. They would turn the lights off wait a little bit flip them on and shoot as many as the could. Turn the lights off back on a do it again. They stayed at it 3 or 4 hours and at daylight had dispatched 62!! Had to get the backhoe out to dig a bid enough hole to bury them.
I pick up beef ration mash from the feed store to feed the other critters that come to the yard. I cut the bottom out of plastic 45 gallon drums to put the feed in so I can take it up at night. To catch the raccoons just a bit of the feed topped with a little Aunt Jemima will get them every time. I've tried marshmallows but this seems to work even better.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
My problem is armadillos,, tearing my yard up. Have set cameras to verify but no way to capture them.
Use the have a heart but take a couple boards and place on each side of the entry makeing a V like funnel. Worms or grubs for bait. Wear gloves as they carry lepersy.
My wife's late uncle was quite the gourmet coon cooker. Smoked them then Barbqued. Tasty actually.