Dang raccoons

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Use the have a heart but take a couple boards and place on each side of the entry makeing a V like funnel. Worms or grubs for bait. Wear gloves as they carry lepersy.
My wife's late uncle was quite the gourmet coon cooker. Smoked them then Barbqued. Tasty actually.
I've watched a few utube videos where the boys were cooking them up but I'm not sure about that but never say never. All it takes is the right ingredients, spices, beer and someone to cook.;)

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I like raccoons but my dog doesn't. She cornered a young one about a month ago, would not let up. She had it in a choke hold, then finally let go and I was able to drag her into the house. Went back to check on the coon but it was gone. The coon does not show up on my camera trap any more so either it's dead or left town! I guess the coons in the Southern USA don't climb tree's since there was a tree right next to where the coon got caught.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I would eliminate them but my wife won't allow it so they go to the state game area (like I said before). Not my idea, hers. I can always tell when one (or more has taken up residence in the barn). The dry cat food is gone, the water has dirt in it and there are poles of coon crap everywhere. Out come the trap and in goes a marshmallow. They love marshmallows.

Trapped a wood pussy once. I learned how to open the trap without getting perfumed too.
What the heck is a "State game area"? Here in Vt. you can relocate wild animals any where you want. AS LONG AS IT"S ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY!

an aside

If you want something that gets your primal blood running full. Night hunt 'coons with a brace of dogs. Red bones, blue tics, black and tans. what ever breeds sing for you.
A great way to spend a pleasant autumn evening.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Here in Pa it is illegal to relocate critters on state land. I use to trap coons and take them to a guy that raised coon dogs and he would take them out and let them go to train his hounds. Sadly when he passed, so did that tradition

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a live trap in my barn, and usually catch coon or possums. I've caught so many I can set the trap without bait and catch something. I think they smell their kin.

I had a guy who use to want all the coons. He was a hunter and had a round ball of wire with a opening gate on it and he put the coon in there. The coon would run, the ball would roll, the dogs would go after it. The coons lasted longer for him to do more training, I guess!

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Here in Pa it is illegal to relocate critters on state land. I use to trap coons and take them to a guy that raised coon dogs and he would take them out and let them go to train his hounds. Sadly when he passed, so did that tradition
Jerry Clower comedy records. I love the one about the monkey that hates a Lieing coon dog.