Daily Chuckle

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Unfortunately not just Ford, other manufacturers also. Had to change all the lug nuts on my Chevy Blazer because most of those fake covers came off.

Yep. The classic Cherokee suffers from the same idiocy. I did find some one-piece stainless lug nuts for it online, but they wanted 8 bucks per nut. Not per wheel, per nut. That's $160 plus shipping to change them out.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yep. The classic Cherokee suffers from the same idiocy. I did find some one-piece stainless lug nuts for it online, but they wanted 8 bucks per nut. Not per wheel, per nut. That's $160 plus shipping to change them out.
You really don't want stainless anyway. Stainless lug nuts are a great gimmick that may leave you on the side of the road with stripped wheel studs when the unthinkable flat tire happens. Or worse yet, you'll think they're tight, but they're just galled on the threads. If you've never watched one of your wheels leave your car, you're in for a treat.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
At one time, WallyWorld had 4 packs of 1-2/20 solid acorn wheel nuts, best price in town. Used them on trailers,one went to east coast and back, zero problems....
two piece ones will rust,expand, warp and a real PITFA to deal with....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you've never watched one of your wheels leave your car, you're in for a treat.
I had one of my rear passenger side dual wheels merge into west bound traffic while I was merging into east bound traffic on a toll road in Orlando FL 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Thankfully the tire didn't hit anyone and cause any damage to any vehicles. Boss and I went hunting for the tire after the tow truck picked up my service truck. We found the tire between 1/2 and 3/4 of a mile down, lying on the edge of the road.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
You really don't want stainless anyway. Stainless lug nuts are a great gimmick that may leave you on the side of the road with stripped wheel studs when the unthinkable flat tire happens. Or worse yet, you'll think they're tight, but they're just galled on the threads.
Good to know!

If you've never watched one of your wheels leave your car, you're in for a treat.
I have not done that, yet, but my son did last year. Seems some idiot did a bunch of front-end work including new axles, brake work, etc. and didn't snug the nuts down on the driver's side. Hilarity ensued. After towing and functional (not cosmetic) repairs, there was more $$$ in the repair work than the front end work had cost.

Hard to get mad at him about it, though, since A) he handled it perfectly, got safely off the highway, and B) he's not the idiot that did the work.

It was another family member, who shall remain nameless (since it was me). :rolleyes:

• Haha

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I had an axle nut come off on my VW Super Beetle many years ago. The wheel came off with the brake drum attached. Fortunately the car was balanced well enough that I was able to keep three tires on the road as I pulled over. I called my brother to bring me some tools, put the wheel back on, and drove it home.

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thanks everyone for your concern. I'm OK, I was a bit shaken up though. I was robbed at the local Gas station earlier this morning. After my hands stopped trembling, I managed to call the Police. They were quick to respond and calmed me down because my blood pressure went through the roof! My money is gone however. The police asked me if I knew who did it and I told them, “Yes, it was pump number 2.”

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users