COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hearing a new report where they have detected the virus still alive on surfaces of a cruise ship 2 weeks later. :eek:
Here is probably origin of that. Detecting the viral RNA doesn't necessarily mean it is still infectious...but no one I know wants to take a chance. From a CDC report, originally, I clipped the below paragraphs from MIT Biotechnology.

The latest study: Researchers examined the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship that was quarantined off Yokohama in Japan last month, and found coronavirus RNA—genetic material—in the cabins of infected passengers up to 17 days after the ship was vacated but before it had been disinfected. However, the CDC noted, “viral RNA doesn’t necessarily mean live virus was present.” So we can’t say for sure whether people would have been infected if they had come into contact with the surfaces where the virus was found.

What this means: Properly cleaning and disinfecting surfaces will kill coronavirus. More research is needed before we can draw firm conclusions about exactly how long the virus can survive on uncleaned surfaces, and what level of risk it poses over time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My wife has been a primary school teacher for 35 years.

She has been communicating with students via video over phone or iPad since schools closed.

Today she had recurring issues with orientation of her iPhone or iPad.

I have to go to work everyday, but I came up with a 10-minute “work-around” after work today for tomorrow’s classes.

Craftsmanship....nope.

Functional....Yep...and she’s tickled. [emoji3]

Scrap from my bucket. Nail gun battery was charged....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd plug in the phone to a USB wall charger while she's using it. I doubt it will last an entire day...

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR

She has been communicating with students via video over phone or iPad since schools closed.

I have to go to work everyday, but I came up with a 10-minute ***8220;work-around***8221; after work today for tomorrow***8217;s classes.

Craftsmanship....nope.

Functional....Yep...and she***8217;s tickled. [emoji3]

Good job!

My better half has been a registrar for a K-12 Alternative/Personal Learning public school for 20 years. Administration/Students/Teachers are all on Chromebook and Google tools as well as using Zoom for virtual meetings. Everything could go on as usual if it wasn't for the other traditional 5 day model schools who are not prepared.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

I have to go to work everyday, but I came up with a 10-minute “work-around” after work today for tomorrow’s classes.

Craftsmanship....nope.

Functional....Yep...and she’s tickled. [emoji3]

Bless her heart for staying committed to her students!

I have a 3 yr old in a pre k program and my son is in kindergarten in a pretty rural school. Both their teachers have been doing online lessons during the week as well. My wife works at the pre k program so she has been off work and keeps the kids on a lesson plan as well during the day. Makes me wonder what others are doing? There have been a few people I work with that have had to bring their kids to work with them, and all they do is play video games all day. Pretty sad

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
What is it gonna take to make some people realize we are at war now with an enemy we can't see, smell or hear and to make it worst we have no weapons to fight back as of yet. How can we expect people to take this as serious as it is if some of our leaders are contradicting our healthcare professionals? When does money become more important than human lives? Yes I'm worried, I've already lost far too many people I cared deeply for. Stay safe my friends.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: we have no weapons to fight back as of yet

One weapon that does KILL the virus is soapy water. Simple and 100% effective. The virus has a layer of fat over it's surface, soapy water removes the fat and virus dies.
The 'problem' is in the delivery system. Spraying and scrubbing soapy water is well, kinda messy something JQ Public doesn't want to do...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I am a company officer with a major metropolitan fire department, with over 30 years in the field. I am a veteran from the front lines of SARS. I am in the trenches again today.

We are not prepared.

We -- our society, our leaders, the young and the old -- failed to learn the lessons of the past. We did not maintain stockpiles of strategic reserves. We downplayed this at the beginning. We are still not adequately respecting the risks today.

Yesterday my last call of the shift was a woman with full-blown symptoms. She was wrapped in 3 or 4 blankets yet shaking like a leaf. She was coughing, she was having difficulty breathing, she was puking and had diarrhea. She was so miserable that death may have started to gain a certain appeal.

Attending her was her friend who returned from the UK 5 days prior. She hotly denied any possibility that she could have infected her friend because she had no symptoms. She knew she was supposed to isolate herself but ignored the requirement nonetheless.

Newsflash: an estimated 1 of 5 of infected people have no symptoms, but are still infectious.

This is not an isolated case. I have witnessed many people who came home from abroad and tell me they first went to the grocery store on their way home to self-isolation.

Our governments here in North America are reluctant to order and enforce quarantines and isolation. So it is up to us to take matters into our own hands: isolate yourself. Exhibit some of that fierce independence so many take pride in; defend yourselves. And by that I do not mean go buy a gun -- you can't shoot a virus and the thing is probably infectious by now anyway.

Defend yourself by assuming everyone else is infectious unless proven otherwise, and keep your distance. Stay home unless it is essential to go out. Assume every surface is infectious and wash it before touching. Wash your hands (scrub a minimum 20 seconds, with soap) at every opportunity. Assume someone sneezed on your groceries or other essential supplies and wash them when you get them home (that would include the gun if you choose to ignore the previous paragraph). Then wash the surface they sat on.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, although you may get the opportunity to meet him sooner without it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Listen to what torch said. The governments as I said several weeks ago have made a mess out of this and are hiding their heads in the sand. You can't eat your 401k. We have to save ourselves with isolation and soap and water. And common sense.

I had been doing ok up until I heard Governor Cuomo say with a break in his voice "you choose which 26000 people are going to die" . This was after he'd asked the Federal Govt to release 30,000 ventilators from a stockpile, and been promised 4,000. Or at least this is how I remember it from his tv broadcast, and the White House briefing on the radio. I am so sad. People are fleeing New York taking the virus with them, only being asked on the news to self quarantine. Like that's going to work.

Hoping you stay safe torch.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I quit commenting basically on this thread because of the stupid 'about me' attitudes exhibited on it.

I'm thankful of a couple things mainly that I love in a remote section of the state and we have no cases withing 30 miles.

I want nothing to do with any centers of population or an suburban enviroment either. I strive to be alone and will stay that way for the duration.

Stay away from me and my wife, we don't want any human contact, the risk is too great.

To all the inhabitants of any population center, stay where you are, don't come here and spread your germs, you ain't welcome here. Don't get in my face or come here looking for something, you may get something you don't want and it's not the Chinese Flu either.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
As to the question about whether COVID-19 was in the US earlier than stated... I read an article that assumed that the rate of detection was so low because of initial lack of testing and that the actual rate of infection in the early stages in the US was 5-10 times higher. The author than projected backwards in time using those numbers and the known exponential rate of increase in cases and estimated that the first case in the US was probably about January 1, 2020, roughly 3 weeks earlier than the first documented US case.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Either way it's here now and baring some kind of miracle it'll be here until it runs it's course. Like sheepfarmer stated earlier be safe torch along with everyone else. The only virus we should be sharing now is a computer virus, at least we have cures for them.:rolleyes:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
This may not be virus related but it is quarantine related. Well, not officially quarantined but shut-in and avoiding the general population.

So I read a book. Yup, the first book that I have read cover to cover in years and I highly recommend it.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Either way it's here now and baring some kind of miracle it'll be here until it runs it's course. Like sheepfarmer stated earlier be safe torch along with everyone else. The only virus we should be sharing now is a computer virus, at least we have cures for them.:rolleyes:
Yep... take your infected computer out back and put a slug smack dab in the middle if the hard drive. Been there and did that more than once. 44 Remington Magnum hollow point works well.:)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I quit commenting basically on this thread because of the stupid 'about me' attitudes exhibited on it.

I'm thankful of a couple things mainly that I love in a remote section of the state and we have no cases withing 30 miles.

I want nothing to do with any centers of population or an suburban enviroment either. I strive to be alone and will stay that way for the duration.

Stay away from me and my wife, we don't want any human contact, the risk is too great.

To all the inhabitants of any population center, stay where you are, don't come here and spread your germs, you ain't welcome here. Don't get in my face or come here looking for something, you may get something you don't want and it's not the Chinese Flu either.
Pretty funny Flip.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As to the question about whether COVID-19 was in the US earlier than stated... I read an article that assumed that the rate of detection was so low because of initial lack of testing and that the actual rate of infection in the early stages in the US was 5-10 times higher. The author than projected backwards in time using those numbers and the known exponential rate of increase in cases and estimated that the first case in the US was probably about January 1, 2020, roughly 3 weeks earlier than the first documented US case.
The issue I see with this theory, is it doesn't explain why now we are seeing all the sick cases? If it has been here three weeks sooner, we should of been seeing sick cases (hospitalized) three weeks sooner.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.