COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Re: Is the sky falling?

Cardboard is not supposed to be a surface that will keep the virus alive for as long as plastic or metal, I think I remember 4 hours, but I have 3 packages sitting on the hood of my truck in the garage until tomorrow. They arrived in my mailbox or via Fedex today. I know what's in them, so no rush to open.

Chlorox wipes were all gone last week when I looked for them. Fortunately I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol. But they should be good for your steering wheel.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Cardboard is not supposed to be a surface that will keep the virus alive for as long as plastic or metal, I think I remember 4 hours, but I have 3 packages sitting on the hood of my truck in the garage until tomorrow. They arrived in my mailbox or via Fedex today. I know what's in them, so no rush to open.

Chlorox wipes were all gone last week when I looked for them. Fortunately I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol. But they should be good for your steering wheel.
Be careful using some of these products on your steering wheel especially if it's leather wrapped. Best to use it on your hands, allow it to dry or wear rubber gloves or both.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Auto parts stores carry cases of those nitrile exam gloves. I got a box the other day. Grabbed a handful and left them in the center console. Left a large handful in a bin next to my tool box and the rest of the box is in my work truck.

I treat pumping gas in the vehicle just like a doctor does with a medical exam. Left hand works my debit card or fuel card, and touches the truck. Right hand touches the gas pump and key pad. After the fuel cap is back on I carefully peel the gloves off without contaminating myself.

It's hard for me to describe the proper way to remove them. Just look for a video or pictogram to show the steps. Basically gloves touching the outside of the glove, your hands only touch the inside of the glove.

By not touching the truck with a contaminated hand, I preserve the sterilization I did with the half can of lysol :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR

"The CDC has said there is likely very low risk of transmission of COVID-19 from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks "because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."

But a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

But one has to also understand that the carrier who last touched the package could be a "carrier" of the virus.

A How-To Guide for the Removal (Doffing) of Disposable Gloves:
Pinch and hold the outside of the glove near the wrist area.
Peel downwards, away from the wrist, turning the glove inside out.
Pull the glove away until it is removed from the hand and hold the inside-out glove with the gloved hand.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Here's a link to confirm Sheepfarmers message at the fuel line. Yep, that handle is worse with germs then the toilet seat.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-as-effective-against-coronavirus-since-2005/
Wonder when that insane gal on You-Tube will star licking gas pump handles? She has a couple vids licking toilet seats....People are so wacky tofay, amazing.

HF has boxes of 'rubber' gloves (not rubber gloves, latex gloves) at the store. I have a couple 100 boxes here. I'm not wearing gloves to pump gas, I'll use my hand sanatizer afterwards.

You can be pro-active and mitigate the chance but it can border of stupid too.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Wonder when that insane gal on You-Tube will star licking gas pump handles? She has a couple vids licking toilet seats....People are so wacky tofay, amazing.

HF has boxes of 'rubber' gloves (not rubber gloves, latex gloves) at the store. I have a couple 100 boxes here. I'm not wearing gloves to pump gas, I'll use my hand sanatizer afterwards.

Not sure why you would be watching videos like that but as I stated before you scare me:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Why would you hoard 200 boxes of gloves. Isn't there 100 gloves in each box? No wonder you keep mentioning the corncob wipe!;)

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com

I had not even thought about the gas pump handle but you are right. Hundreds of folks handling that handle each day. :eek:

Using a hand sanitizer afterwards is a good idea, but that is also one of the items in "short supple". :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Not with us. I keep a bottle in the car. We use hand soap and HOT water in the house, no hand sanitizer. I hear Crown Royal is good hand saitizer as well but I don't drink so I'll stick with Lava and hot water and I don't rub my eyes or lick my fingers anyway.

It's ok to be careful, but I'm not going to allow myself to act paranoid. You can take it too far. I think the issue is crowded population with transmitting it. Not an issue out here, very little population. Easy to be a hermit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Here's a link explaining the problem with testing for the virus in the US.

It seems a big part of the challenge is we have regulations in place to offer protection to citizens, and in this case the regulations threw a wrench in the gearbox.

https://medium.com/@aminkina/the-sc...ing-and-where-the-u-s-went-wrong-7920c3fb5049
I really have to say, I find some of the 'discourses' tedious and that is one. I don't really give a hoot why not, just do it and I caught the 'embedded' democrat comment about Trump 1/2 way through the read as well

I don't much care about her politics and I don't much care about her lengthy 'educated' discourse either.

Bottom line here is, handle it and far as I can see Trump is handling it best he can.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

You can run but you can't hide, this virus will be all around us soon with many more people becoming infected, very hard to fight an enemy you can't see. We all know what we have to do and how to do it but life goes on. Hopefully within a month or 2 there will be a light at the end of the tunnel but no matter how you look at it there are going to be some very tough times ahead of us. I'm sure talking about it helps some but for those loosing their jobs and income my heart goes out to them. Be safe everyone, we are at war with a very formidable enemy.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

It wasn't just one regulation in one place. It is multiple regulations in multiple places slowing it up.

When you have entire government departments dedicated to writing regulations and restrictions it is no wonder they pile up over the years.

This is where I agree with a top down review of all regulations with a heavy hand on the repetitious and unnecessary.

If a door/device needs one lock to secure it (one regulation) and it has 27 locks on it, you can remove 26 locks and still be fully satisfying the mission.

Hopefully we learn from many of these painful lessons.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

There is NO taking it too far or too cautious for this!
To anyone that thinks this is a joke, a fake, blown way out of proportion, or any other fallacy, your severely off your rocker!

No one is far enough away from everyone and everything to not get it.
I have see wildfires that move slower and less erratic than this!

There are now several states that have a Shelter in place laws imposed, we are just around the corner for it even here.

I'm super remote and that can be both good and bad, great to keep distance, bad if something bad happens.

The local hospital is 25 beds, 10 ventilators, if any amount of the people in the area get it, there sadly will be a lot of uncared for people and very likely a lot of dead people from this.

Right now our death rate is 1.5 % of people that get it, the world wide number is almost 5% death rate.

If it keeps going at the rate it is now, we will be pushing numbers up every day till the system just completely collapses.

The people that feel, I'm too young, I'm too strong, I'm too health, I'm too far away from anyone to get it, are sadly running fools betting odds.
They are the ones that are going to get way more people killed.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

To anyone that thinks this is a joke, a fake, blown way out of proportion, or any other fallacy, your severely off your rocker!

I have seen wildfires that move slower and less erratic than this!

There are now several states that have Shelter in place laws imposed, we are just around the corner for it even here.

I'm super remote and that can be both good and bad, great to keep distance, bad if something bad happens.

The local hospital is 25 beds, 10 ventilators, if any amount of the people in the area get it, there sadly will be a lot of uncared for people and very likely a lot of dead people from this.

Right now our death rate is 1.5 % of people that get it, the world wide number is almost 5% death rate.

If it keeps going at the rate it is now, we will be pushing numbers up every day till the system just completely collapses.

The people that feel, I'm too young, I'm too strong, I'm too health, I'm too far away from anyone to get it, are sadly running fools betting odds.
You couldn't be more right Sean. I hate preaching doom and gloom, probably

the most optimistic person you'll ever meet but facts are facts. It's not only

this damn virus that's going to kill, but as our health care gets overwhelmed, if

a person has a heart attack or whatever they may not be able to get the help

they need in time. You and I are in a very similar situation as to where we live.

Little things can turn big in a hurry. Yesterday I put 2 trees across my road

which requires the tractor and grapple or a chainsaw to remove. I have to be

very conscious of everything I do now because there is no way my wife could

open the road in order to get out.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

Wolfman has some very valid points. My county doesn't even have a hospital anymore thanks to the way Medicare/Medicaid pays. The hospitals in the surrounding counties get 3 times more so a few years back they closed up & even torn down the building.
My thinking at this time as this progresses is that the disease is really showing how correct my Late Dad & Father in law were. They both had a very vocal belief that only 10 or 20% of people could be depended on in a crisis. Both WWII combat veterans who you just couldn't scare. My Dad with the 36th Tx Div in Scicly/Italy & FiL with the 95th Bomb Grp 8th Air Corps. People getting stupider by the day is what's going to be what gets us.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

How many people can afford all of their monthly bills if their income stops today?
For some it's not going to take long before everything goes south.

There are quite a few that have already been laid off or just had to close down, or just stop working, we are personaly looking at that distinct possibility here shortly.

For those that can get unemployment for their lay off from their states, how long before that severely overloaded system fails, or just simply runs out of money.
That's not even taking into account that unemployment will only pay a small portion of your regular pay.

For those that are Self Employed they are just out of luck from day one.

Now for those of you retired and collecting SS benefits.
The people that work now pay into it, so way less people working, means way less people paying in, so less money that will be available to go back out.
How long before that pot runs dry and there is no money left in it?

For all the people that have healthcare paid for via their jobs, well guess what, your not working, you don't have healthcare benefits anymore! :eek:
So getting sick and going to the hospital is going to wipe them out instantly.
That is if there is any room at the hospitals.

Bearbait, brought up a very good point, what happens if you get hurt?

Back to those of us that don't have a steady income stream, like me, and for those that are 50/50 income stream (one works a regular paying job and the other works for themselves), like us.
We have to rely on our savings to hold us over till things start back up.

Well here comes the rub, if this drags on for a couple months...
We're not going to be able to afford Our Land payment, our Truck payments, our Utility payments, our now over the top Cobra insurance payments, our auto, home, and other insurance payments, our cell phone service payments, our internet service, and that doesn't include all the normal things like food and normal household use products, or fuel to run a vehicle.

So we will be homeless, vehicleless, powerless, insuranceless, disconnected from the world (no cell or internet) and out in the cold.

Well I can live off the land, I'm in an area that it's possible, well at least for a little while, but at some point It will go south too.

What about the people that work a simple job and on a normal day / week / month, barely can keep up, they just barely make their bills, they just barely feed themselves or their family, and they just get by.
They will be wiped out, decimated and/or destroyed by this, very quickly!

This is going to effect a lot of people in a lot of ways, some in ways they never imagined!

When 2008/ 2009 crash happened I watched my million plus a year business that I had work 10 plus years to build, go completely up in smoke in nothing flat (I did remodels and custom build work), I lost just about everything I had.

My then GF, now wife, watched me go from a person that had the means to do just about anything I needed to do, or wanted to do, to a person that couldn't afford to do anything.
She is my rock is so many ways, she still managed to keep a job though all of that, but with a huge pay cut, but that gave us something.

I worked just about any odd job I could, sold everything I could.
We scrambled and scraped up everything we could, and we worked our way back up.
I'm lucky in the fact I can do a lot of different jobs, and have many different skill sets, so I just keep doing anything I can to make money.

We now again sit on the precipice to lose it all again, and frankly that scares the living hell out of me!
I never wished my wife to have to go through that again!

So my point:
Please be kind to anyone and everyone as you really might not know what they are going through.
If you can help a friend, a neighbor, or family member, or anyone in need, in anyway shape or form just do it. Even doing something as simple as to just not look down on anyone for being down and out, we are not all worthless bums / bumetts because of events that affect us!

That last part hits home hard, because my family looked down, and talked down to me for losing everything I had. And most of them I gave money to and supported for years!

Be thoughtful and Kind!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I have see wildfires that move slower and less erratic than this!

There are now several states that have a Shelter in place laws imposed, we are just around the corner for it even here.

Not getting it, or at least postponing getting it as long as possible (which is what you want because down the road after a lot of people have contracted it and many have succumbed (and they will), healthcare providers won't be overwhelmed and then you may actually receive the care you might need, plus there may be a vaccine or treatment developed (because now there isn't so at present, all that con be done is treatment, not cure), the ONLY way not to contract it is use COMMON SENSE. Common sense about what you touch, who you are contact with and what you do and how you do it.

Sadly, common sense today is a rare substance. People in general today lack common sense, good example is cleaning out the grocery stores.

Amy and I are hermits now. No issue with me and when planting time and hay season comes around, I do it myself. That is key for me...ALONE.

I need no help, never have. I've geared my operation to be a one man operation long ago. No contact with others. Just me, the tractors, the implements and the fields. Peachy with me.

Don't breathe on me, don't get in my face, keep your distance. All good with me anyway because generally, I don't like people anyway. Why I live where I do and do what I do.

Hospital beds here are no issue or at least should not be when the 'wave' has crested. We have within 40 miles of here, over 1700 beds at 5 hospitals. I live just close enough to metropolitan areas (Toledo, Ann Arbor and Jackson) to smell the urban stink if the wind is blowing hard but not close enough to smell it often.

Fine with me. Just the way I want it and always have.

Status
Not open for further replies.