Considering canopy with cooling fan on a B7100HST-D

wilburn cox

Equipment
B7100 tractor, FL1000 tiller, box blade, shredder
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
I have a B7100 HST-D in perfect condition and am considering building/having built a canopy incorporating a radiator cooling fan to help with this Texas heat. I have seen several canopies utilizing these fans on this forum.
The tractor has a dynamo and I am not sure this will provide enough AMPS to run the 12 Volt fan. The tractor has lights which I never use and no other items I know of that might pull AMPS. I will appreciate any assistance or ideas concerning this and thanks in advance.
Wilburn "Red" Cox Stephenville TX. Anyone with ideas may email me at: wilburncox(AT)embarqmail(dot)com

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It will probably be fine since nothing really draws power from the system.

If it does drain the battery down while you’re using it, just charge it overnight and drain it down again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have a B7100 HST-D in perfect condition and am considering building/having built a canopy incorporating a radiator cooling fan to help with this Texas heat. I have seen several canopies utilizing these fans on this forum.
The tractor has a dynamo and I am not sure this will provide enough AMPS to run the 12 Volt fan. The tractor has lights which I never use and no other items I know of that might pull AMPS. I will appreciate any assistance or ideas concerning this and thanks in advance.
Wilburn "Red" Cox Stephenville TX. Anyone with ideas may email me at: wilburncox(AT)embarqmail(dot)com
I had a frame built for my canopy out of angle iron. Before mounting, I sprayed it with bed liner from a can and it has not rusted one bit. I'm in south Alabama where the sun is quite intense in the summer. I wanted a large canopy so I mounted a 4x6 piece of 3/4" treated plywood and painted it black. My tractor takes a lot of hits from limbs at the camp and I did not want to deal with smashed fiberglass. At some point I may switch out the plywood for metal but it's holding up quite well. I had thought of mounting a fan as well. However, the canopy made such a huge difference the fan wasn't necessary.

wilburn cox

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
It will probably be fine since nothing really draws power from the system.

If it does drain the battery down while you’re using it, just charge it overnight and drain it down again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Russell, I appreciate the input. Have a great day. "Red"

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sgt, he said it keeps his neck and head cooler. If you follow him very long, Lord knows he needs to keep a cooler head!:D:D
ouch.....

I resemble that comment......;)

Actually I might be a little cooler than in the past, old age somehow mellows one self.

Then again - putting up with those that say little of nothing and mean less than nothing gets easier every year, specially in the classroom!;)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I equipped my home-made cab on my B7100 with one of these 2-speed metal fans:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00065JM8U

Hung it from the roof. 8" diameter. Draws 1.2 amps on high, 0.6 amps on low so no problem with the charging system. Ball socket base allows it to be aimed where I want.

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
I used golf cart tops on my L2800 and my huskvarna zero turn mower, worked perfectly. I used a radiator electric cooling fan and they also worked well but I find it blows dust in your eyes if not careful and you end up at eye dr. getting junk out of your eyes. This happened so often I got a cheap ebay bee keeper hat net and use it to cut grass and keep junk out of my eyes.

wilburn cox

Equipment
Mar 21, 2010
Stephenville, Texas
I equipped my home-made cab on my B7100 with one of these 2-speed metal fans:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00065JM8U

Hung it from the roof. 8" diameter. Draws 1.2 amps on high, 0.6 amps on low so no problem with the charging system. Ball socket base allows it to be aimed where I want.
Thanks Torch. This may be my answer. I was concerned about the draw down on the dynamo on the B7100. I sincerely appreciate your help and have fun on your tractor. "Red" Cox

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Thanks Torch. This may be my answer. I was concerned about the draw down on the dynamo on the B7100. I sincerely appreciate your help and have fun on your tractor. "Red" Cox
Yesterday I was using the tractor (with the fan on) and suddenly noticed it was hanging from the wires! The ball socket joint broke. I hope it's just a fluke -- it was a great little fan until now!