Cold Weather Start Up of L3800

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I had a little difficulty starting up today. Not sure why. Below freezing out. Ice all over the tractor. Turned to key back for 10 seconds to heat up and then turned it all the way to the right. Nothing. The starter did not even turn.

I made several attempts making sure the tractor was in neutral and PTO off. Clutch down. Nothing. Starter was just not cranking. Fuel has cold weather treatment.

Then for no reason at all, it started right up. I let it heat up of about 15 minutes. Drove it around. Turned it off and attempted to start up. Nothing. No starter. After a few attempts. It started right up. If starter turns, it starts up.

I am sure it is cold related because I have not experienced this before. Only 30 hrs on the L3800 Tractor.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It sounds like the cold is effecting a safety switch. Is it a hydro? Next time, try touching the pedal forward or backward as you hold the key to start.
Is 10 seconds all that the newer tractors take for glow plugs? I would have assumed it would take more time.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My knowing nothing about tractors, I actually watched a video here with Vic I think it was entitled "cold weather starting for morons like you WFM"....on that video he said sub zero starting , to hold the key to the left for one minute. That seems a long time as I was holding mine there 15 seconds. When the dealer dropped it off he told me to heat the glow plugs for 20 seconds.
Do you cover your tractor with a tarp to keep the snow and ice out of the electronics at all ? I'm sure they are sealed some but I would feel better if it was mine to cover the steering wheel area.
Vic also has a video "how to bucket snow with your tractor".....very intense.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
My L3800 manual has these preheat times:

Over 32F, 2 to 3 sec
32F to 23F, 5 sec
23 to 5F, 10 sec

Clearly, if it's below 5F you're supposed to find something else to do! :)

-- Carl

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
It sounds like the cold is effecting a safety switch. Is it a hydro? Next time, try touching the pedal forward or backward as you hold the key to start.
Is 10 seconds all that the newer tractors take for glow plugs? I would have assumed it would take more time.
Its an HST. Yeah I was thinking the same that some safety switch is somehow being effected. I will try what you suggested about touching the pedal forward and back.

Do you cover your tractor with a tarp to keep the snow and ice out of the electronics at all ? I'm sure they are sealed some but I would feel better if it was mine to cover the steering wheel area.
Vic also has a video "how to bucket snow with your tractor".....very intense.
I do not have a tarp on the tractor. The dealer said it was not necessary and that the tractor was weather-proof. I am not against getting one if it would really make a difference.

Clearly, if it's below 5F you're supposed to find something else to do! :)

-- Carl
Set on Fire ???
The 4x4 lever was iced over and I had to light up a torch to melt the ice and engage it today.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
HST pedal is the culprit most likely.

I never heat plugs more than 10 seconds.

Your tractor will last many, many more years if it's covered! The sun will do as much damage as the rain and ice. Please cover it, too nice a tractor to leave out in the elements!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
All diesels are tempermental in cold weather. None of them like it when its cold and covered in ice. I haven't met a diesel yet that fires up without struggle and acts right in the cold without some sorta warm up.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Last winter when I had my L3800 I would count to 20 with the glow plug on and then it would start no trouble every time.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
There are two issues here, mostly unrelated. One is the preheat time. That heats up a glow plug in the cylinder head, to assist the diesel fuel compression in making enough heat to fire. It affects the ability of the engine to fire once it is cranking.
The bigger issue is that you turn the key and nothing happens. Serious cold shrinks metal and most insulators. It can loosen the battery terminals, change the length - just a minute amount - of linkages, alter spacing - again just slightly - of internal contacts, etc.
Does the tractor do anything while you hold the key on? Any dash lights? Any clicking from the starter? Any noise anywhere?
I'd check the battery connections, then head for the starter. Maybe the bendix isn't sliding because it is new and tight. After a while it kicks into place and cranks. Tug at all the wires you can reach - maybe you have a loose crimp in a wire connector somewhere. The problem is that after a while it does something, so everything is basically there OK. Some electricity must be flowing, to allow things to get hot enough to actually start conducting like it should.
I once had a new car. One time I got in it, and it was like there was no battery. No lights, no radio, sounds, nothing. I measured the battery voltage - 0V. I tried to charge the battery - no current would flow, even at 24V. So I jumped the battery to get the car started, and headed for the dealer. About half way there the charge indicator suddenly showed a charge, and the battery appeared to be working. At the dealer, they tested the battery, and it was A-OK! But they gave me a new one anyway. Strange things do happen.
Good luck with this. Let us know what you find.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

My bet is on a Safety Switch not making contact because of the cold, also. The Neutral switch on mind, even though I make sure it's there in the correct position, sometimes don't make contact with both of the switch contacts. Not sure if that would apply for a HST, but the same principle could apply with other switches. The questions gpreuss asked would help if a more detailed answer, especially on what is heard or not heard when the key is turned to the right to start.

Ron

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I do not have a tarp on the tractor. The dealer said it was not necessary and that the tractor was weather-proof. I am not against getting one if it would really make a difference.
A tarp is a PIA for the most part but if that's all you got I would cover that bad boy up. Now if it doesn't bother you that it's aging at a rappid rate and you are taking years of the tractors life then don't worry about it.
If it was me I would be looking at building a shed to store it under and all the implements as well. Even one of the cheap portable carports would be a step in the right direction.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I'll preheat mine for 5-6 seconds, maybe 10 at the most and I've not had any problems starting mine at all. I keep mine in a barn that's unheated as well.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Does the tractor do anything while you hold the key on? Any dash lights? Any clicking from the starter? Any noise anywhere?
I'd check the battery connections, then head for the starter. Maybe the bendix isn't sliding because it is new and tight. After a while it kicks into place and cranks. Tug at all the wires you can reach - maybe you have a loose crimp in a wire connector somewhere. The problem is that after a while it does something, so everything is basically there OK. Some electricity must be flowing, to allow things to get hot enough to actually start conducting like it should.

It was not a battery issue because the glow plug light lit up.Lights turned on. It is as if the starter died.... or one of the safety switches was triggered.

When the starter decided to wake up... the engine started right up... so the glowplug did its job fine.

This happened twice last night. The second, time after the tractor had already been running for 15 minutes, so I don't think heat/cold is the issue.

It started up just fine at 5am this morning (with ice all over the tractor) and I ran it for about 4 hrs pushing ice around the parking lot. I just tested it again now at 5pm after reading your post and again it started right up.

So far it is a complete mystery why the starter would not go yesterday and then then for no reason, start.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA

My bet is on a Safety Switch not making contact because of the cold, also. The Neutral switch on mind, even though I make sure it's there in the correct position, sometimes don't make contact with both of the switch contacts. Not sure if that would apply for a HST, but the same principle could apply with other switches. The questions gpreuss asked would help if a more detailed answer, especially on what is heard or not heard when the key is turned to the right to start.

Ron

HST was in neutral, although it will start up even if in gear on mine. I did shift around a bit in case that was an issue.

I am thinking a safety switch too. I lifted and dropped the seat. The switch under the seat was free of ice. Moved the PTO ON and then back OFF. Made sure I was pressing clutch all the way down. Then stopped moving things. Turned the key a few more times with no difference. No sound. Turned it once more and the tractor just started up.

Last edited:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

When it does not start, is there a click or any kind of sound when you turn the key? My thinking says that if nothing is heard, I'm back to an intermittent Safety switch. If you do hear something, I would then think Starter problem.

Ron

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA

When it does not start, is there a click or any kind of sound when you turn the key? My thinking says that if nothing is heard, I'm back to an intermittent Safety switch. If you do hear something, I would then think Starter problem.

Ron

No Sound. I am thinking a safety switch. I just don't know which one. I guess there is nothing for me to do now, since the tractor is starting up just fine. I guess time will tell if this is an issue or not.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Safety switches have a tendency to stick when could particularly if a small amount of moisture has gotten into them. Some of the lawn mower tractor safety switches that are built into the seat cushion, will not engage when really cold because the foam is to stiff to push the switch.

Mountain Hill

Equipment
L3800, LA524 FEL, Woods BSS 65 Box Scrapper, Woods RB 84 rear blade, trygg chain
Apr 5, 2013
Halifax,Nova Scotia
I've been having the same problem with my L3800, tractor starts no problem, Shut it off for a few minutes and it won't start. It has gotten worse with the sub 0 weather. Apparently it's one of the safety shut off switches, seat , Pto , according to my Kubota Service Dept. It's a pain, cause you don't want to shut off the machine, for fear of no re-start, for a few or many minutes. It's does eventually start, but it's a crap shoot! I'm going to look at and do some maintenance to switches.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We use to use what we called a Low Impedance Shunt when checking out safety switches underground,, just sayin