Can't remove flat tire on my BX23S

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
I have a BX23s with 35 hours on it that has a flat tire in the front. I've tried with all my might to loosen the lug nuts with a socket wrench and none of them will budge. I've seen some Youtube vids that say you don't need an impact wrench, but I just can't do anything with hand tools. Am I just a wimp or could there be something wrong that I don't understand? I stomped on the handle with all my might and literally nothing happened except my foot hurting.
I'm very inexperienced with tractors and tools, so apologies for stupid things I say or do.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Odds are real good they were put ON with an Impact so do NOT believe the idiots on the net, well 'cept me cause I OWN a BX23S, 710 hrs, 3 years young and I've taken the fronts off several times ( 4 flats, 2 new free tires...) :)
NOBODY uses 'hand' tools these days...everything HAS to have a battery on it !

BTW after you're done, pull the left top yellow plug on teh front axle and check oil level. Odds are real good you'll need to add 1-2 quarts. Pour slow, have a coffee, THEN check the level. Repeat as required.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a BX23s with 35 hours on it that has a flat tire in the front. I've tried with all my might to loosen the lug nuts with a socket wrench and none of them will budge. I've seen some Youtube vids that say you don't need an impact wrench, but I just can't do anything with hand tools. Am I just a wimp or could there be something wrong that I don't understand? I stomped on the handle with all my might and literally nothing happened except my foot hurting.
I'm very inexperienced with tractors and tools, so apologies for stupid things I say or do.
Some Georgia Kubota assembly (or dealer) peon very likely put those nuts on with an impact wrench.
You will need to either beg/borrow, or steal an impact wrench,.... air or electric type..

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
In case it matters, I wasn't able to see any puncture and tried to fill the tire but it wouldn't hold air at all. Does that indicate that it came off the rim? Is there some other way to fix this?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
You certainly DON'T need an impact gun, air compressor etc.
A 18-24" bar & socket and piece of "cheater" pipe is all you need. (Mechanical advantage)

You are turning it "lefty loosey" (CCW=counter clock wise) correct?

Reactions: 6 users

Willow Homestead

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 28, 2022
USA
You certainly DON'T need an impact gun, air compressor etc.
A 18-24" bar & socket and piece of "cheater" pipe is all you need. (Mechanical advantage)

You are turning it "lefty loosey" (CCW=counter clock wise) correct?
Yes, lefty loosey! :) I'll see if I can find something to slip over the wrench handle. Thanks!

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
The jack handle always comes in handy as a cheater pipe(just make sure you can reinstall the handle as some are spring loaded). Also when trying to air the tire up, is the tire off the ground, and does it appear the bead of the tire is on the rim(both sides). And remember six point sockets are your friend.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Any recommendations on where to buy an impact?
As others have said you may not need an impact, but it sure makes life easy. I originally bought one to change the blades on my zero turn.
Just used it for spacers on the rear wheels of the tractor, and the lug nuts spun off like butter with the impact.
Neighbor could not get a broken tooth off his backhoe on an L3901. Impact spun the bolt with no issue.
He went out an bought one the next day.

I bought an M18 impact mainly because I have other Milwaukee tools and I like to stick with the same batteries with power tools

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
As others have said there are different ways to do it but the newer battery powered impact wrenches are very capable and portable. I have breaker bars, pipes for extending handles and torque wrenches but the 18 volt impact gets alot of use. Try to get a brand that you can buy other tools for with the same batteries and plan on getting at least one higher capacity battery as it def makes a difference on tools like the impact wrench and grinders/saws.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can buy a 1/2" drive Porter Cable (PCE211) 110V corded impact wrench for $79.99 on Amazon.

This requires the use of an extension cord, but is much cheaper than the battery or pneumatic units..
With a tractor, you really should have an impact wrench, if you have any hope of removing difficult nuts/bolts over your period of ownership.

This Porter Cable PCE211 develops 450 lb of torque, and has very good user ratings.
I have battery powered impacts, air powered, and 110V electric.
This is the least costly impact wrench that will solve your bolt/nut removal problems, both now, and in the future.
A lighter duty 3/8" drive impact wrench would not be sufficient for your needs.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Since you do not have a compressor what are you using for air? If It is separated slightly from rim you will need more than a small electric inflator if that's what you have.

Cheater pipe will work.. make sure you keep that socket on the lugnut securely so you don't slip and round them off.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
For getting air back into your tire if your bead is broken: Put a ratchet strap dead center around the circumference of the tire and ratchet the strap good and tight. Pulling in the centerline of the tire might just be enough squish to get the side beads to seal enough while you slowly air up with your air supply. If you notice that the tire is taking air and starting to fill......don't forget to loosen the ratchet strap before it snaps!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Impact wrench, highly effective, highly expensive.
Cheap alternative:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might take the valve core out of the valve stem to allow more air to gush in to seat the bead. Then when the tire is ared up put he core back in quickly the air p to necessary pressure. Have the tire up an inch or so, so that the tire has no contact with the ground.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
And I thought we had some real rednecks here 🤣🤣🤣. I know how I would use the tractor to loosen the lugnuts in a situation like this😂 won’t advise here though.

Hold my beer 😂

Reactions: 1 users