Bucket chain hooks?

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Anyone done a bolt on hook install on a L2256 SSQA bucket?

This seems like the ideal location, but the SSQA bits are in the way of the washers.

I could slide it up more and go though the double metal section, but the front half of the plate would no be supported.

I could put it on the outside of the SSQA mounts, but the plate will overhang both sides a little or one side more.

Inside of the SSQA mounts would seem to work ok. But it wont be "in line" anymore. Might be my best option.

Thoughts? I already sent Kenny an email about it. Figured Id post something up here too.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Bolting them inside the ssqa would be a no no. The bolts will interfere with the upper catch of the implement you are trying to hook up. I used Ken's weld on hooks on mine, so I can't offer any advice for the bolt on.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
Bolting them inside the ssqa would be a no no. The bolts will interfere with the upper catch of the implement you are trying to hook up. I used Ken's weld on hooks on mine, so I can't offer any advice for the bolt on.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I dont follow what youre saying, so i'll assume im missing something. Can you explain more please?

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
May be a disconnect on what is meant by 'inside' here. I think Yooper is saying not to have the bolts go into the space (socket if you will) where the QA goes into the bucket. I think your first pics about the washers interfering indicates you are aware of interfering with the QA. I suspect you are referring to 'inside' as in 'inboard of' or farther toward the center of the tractor. Whether this would be a problem may have to do with how much weight you pick up with the hooks. I can see what you mean about having less support way out there toward the middle of the bucket.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
May be a disconnect on what is meant by 'inside' here. I think Yooper is saying not to have the bolts go into the space (socket if you will) where the QA goes into the bucket. I think your first pics about the washers interfering indicates you are aware of interfering with the QA. I suspect you are referring to 'inside' as in 'inboard of' or farther toward the center of the tractor. Whether this would be a problem may have to do with how much weight you pick up with the hooks. I can see what you mean about having less support way out there toward the middle of the bucket.

Yah i think you're right. Matter of terminology.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I figured it out. Had to measure very carefully about 10 times.

Halfway done

Hole alignment check on the 2nd one.

Shot of the tightness.

Done!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What I was trying to point out is that the designs of different ssqa attachments can vary on the top 'catch' where you show the picture of your bucket with the close clearance. I'm guessing that my grapple would hit those bolts. Nothing to lose sleep over, just sayin'.

Nice job on the install, BTW! Those hooks are in a very solid spot.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
What I was trying to point out is that the designs of different ssqa attachments can vary on the top 'catch' where you show the picture of your bucket with the close clearance. I'm guessing that my grapple would hit those bolts. Nothing to lose sleep over, just sayin'.

Nice job on the install, BTW! Those hooks are in a very solid spot.

The hooks are bolted to the bucket and not to the SSQA arms on the loader. Im not sure how they would interfere with a grapple.....you leave the bucket on with your grapple? I would have thought it would be drop the bucket off and put a new attachment on?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'm totally on the wrong channel! Sorry if I caused any confusion. (Note to self: just read and don't type anything early in the morning)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I also put a set side by side in the middle of the bucket as well. Works good for lifting from the middle and for hanging extra chain when lifting from the ends.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I also put a set side by side in the middle of the bucket as well. Works good for lifting from the middle and for hanging extra chain when lifting from the ends.
Was exactly what I was thinking too when I saw the pictures, seems the middle one is used more than the other two also. ;)

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Welded two chain hooks to outside of bucket, and drilled and mounted trailer ball on top of bucket to move around goosenecks, etc, with loader. Use the chain hooks all the time for lifting, pulling, etc. The ball mount is extremely handy. Tractor is a m6800, w/la1162 loader.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
I welded 3 of the 3/8" chain hooks, (these will grab and hold 5/16 chain also) the top of my bucket was already reinforced. I got the weld on hooks with bevel already in place, then painted it with genuine Kubota touch up oain. I kept my outer hooks right in line with the curl ram to keep flex out of the bucket.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I welded 3 of the 3/8" chain hooks, (these will grab and hold 5/16 chain also) the top of my bucket was already reinforced. I got the weld on hooks with bevel already in place, then painted it with genuine Kubota touch up oain. I kept my outer hooks right in line with the curl ram to keep flex out of the bucket.

Nice beads. My welding is pretty awful, or I would have welded some on mine by now. 😁

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Good morning fellas, I was wondering what type of chain hooks to use on my B2620, either the slotted type for chain only or the rounder hook type which can accommodate rope or chain or rope?
Here's a combination of what I wanted and what one of my dealer's mechanics suggested.

I put grab hooks on the top edge of the bucket so I could use the bucket cylinders to help with the lifting/pulling, but also added clevis rings (D-Rings) to the back of the bucket down low. If I have something that I really want to pull on hard enough to increase the risk of breaking a sling or chain, I can use the d-rings in the bucket and a 1/2" clevis so that if it does break, the loose end goes into the bucket rather than hitting me or my machine.
CFBV3950[1].JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Here's a combination of what I wanted and what one of my dealer's mechanics suggested.

I put grab hooks on the top edge of the bucket so I could use the bucket cylinders to help with the lifting/pulling, but also added clevis rings (D-Rings) to the back of the bucket down low. If I have something that I really want to pull on hard enough to increase the risk of breaking a sling or chain, I can use the d-rings in the bucket and a 1/2" clevis so that if it does break, the loose end goes into the bucket rather than hitting me or my machine. View attachment 51648
Are the Clevis’ SS?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Are the Clevis’ SS?
No, just galvanized. I took them off and put them in the toolbox till I need them. You can see my drill and hammer in the photo. I'd just finished mounting them when I took the pic, and did a trial fit with the clevises to make sure the bolts didn't interfere. If I put the bolts in with the nuts on the inside, they get in the way. They don't hit the ground and they're not visible turned the other way (unless I curl the bucket back and raise it up high).

Already had a few comments about getting some KO paint for the hooks. I don't mind keeping things looking nice, but I'm not sure that painting something with the sole purpose of suffering the abuse of a heavy chain is productive. They're zinc-chromate plated, so they won't rust for a little while. Two things I liked about those kits. 1. There's a backup plate the same size and thickness (3/8 plate) as the hook/d-ring mounting plate on the other side of the bucket. If you pull one off, you just ripped one hell of a hole in that bucket. You'll note that I mounted them near bends in the bucket. The strongest points that won't distort when I pull on something. I also tried to put them where they can be used only in tension mode on the bucket cylinders, or very little force on them. That should keep me from being stupid and breaking a bucket cylinder. 2. The mounting hardware included Nylock nuts, so even if they get loose, they're not coming off. I'll have time to see they're loose and take appropriate measures. I can still take them off to address any serious rust issues on the bucket if needed. I've already used them to move some pretty hefty water oak logs that I cut up for firewood. They were heavy enough to bounce the back of the tractor with the box blade on and ballast in the rear tires. Must have bigger ballast for that kind of work, or smaller logs. :)

Pretty much, I'm starting a new phase in my life trying to come up with enough things to keep busy after retirement. It's either that, or driving my wife nuts with my boredom. Annoying my wife could be hazardous to my health.