Bucket chain hooks?

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Good morning fellas, I was wondering what type of chain hooks to use on my B2620, either the slotted type for chain only or the rounder hook type which can accommodate rope or chain or rope?

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mike if it were me I would go with the ones that will do rope slings or chain though the chain hook up might tuff,,, but why not go with both that way ya got everything covered,, just MHO

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
The regular hook would be the most versatile but depends on what you are mostly using it for. My bucket has holes in it that I just put a clevis in to hook anything to. I am usually using a tow rope with hooks on either end to pull wild grape vines out of trees.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I have both, 2 slotted hooks basically in front of the arms and 1 round hook in the center, you never know what you'll be tugging or lifting.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Mike, do you prefer using chains, or ropes and slings? The "slotted" hooks (called "grab", "chain" or "pelican" hooks) are the better choice for chains for obvious reasons, chains can slip off of those others very easily. The other hook type is usually called "tow" or "slip" hooks.

Your bucket has a 1-7/8" raised lip on the front that can present a problem mounting regular hooks. Do you plan on bolting something on or will you be welding them on?

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Mike, do you prefer using chains, or ropes and slings? The "slotted" hooks (called "grab", "chain" or "pelican" hooks) are the better choice for chains for obvious reasons, chains can slip off of those others very easily. The other hook type is usually called "tow" or "slip" hooks.

Your bucket has a 1-7/8" raised lip on the front that can present a problem mounting regular hooks. Do you plan on bolting something on or will you be welding them on?
Yea Ken I do use ropes a lot, and will be welding the hooks to plate steel than drilling and bolting with grade 8s. Guess the Tow hook will be the better choice, more versatile.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Another vote for BOTH.
I have 2 chain grab hooks in line with the loader arms and I'm going to be adding a tow hook to the center

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My dealer welds a piece of angle iron onto the bucket behind the top lip to reinforce it creating a box. Then they weld a grab hook to it. With the angle iron, it has a strong mounting surface and the bucket won't bend in the middle. This is something they do as part of the new tractor setup.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
My dealer welds a piece of angle iron onto the bucket behind the top lip to reinforce it creating a box. Then they weld a grab hook to it. With the angle iron, it has a strong mounting surface and the bucket won't bend in the middle. This is something they do as part of the new tractor setup.
You my friend, have a GOOD dealer! That is a very strong and functional setup.

Many dealers will not weld or bolt any hooks onto a bucket for liability reasons-that fact has kept me VERY busy for the last three years;)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My dad has had grab hooks on his bucket of his L275 since new and work great. Added bonus is keep a short 3 foot section of chain with grab hooks on it, somewhere on the tractor and it does well for tow ropes and such. Also real handy to have if you want to pick up and move an attatchment, more affordable then pallet forks.

BX25DMan

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 16, 2013
Southeast MA
Many dealers will not weld or bolt any hooks onto a bucket for liability reasons-that fact has kept me VERY busy for the last three years;)
When you think about it it's sort of understandable from the tractor manufacturer's / dealers perspective.

Tractors and buckets have weight ratings or limitations. Generally a tractors bucket will lift it full of what ever you can stuff into it....OK, maybe not steel ingots or gold bars...

Adding hooks will allow you to grab just about anything and it's the "anythings" that concern dealers from both a mechanical and safety perspective...

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used another approach for the hooks - chain slots. These worked well on the B7500 for the 10 years I had it, so it was one of the first things done when the L3200 arrived. Heavy angle with slots that will accept 3/8" chain are bolted to the bucket. Chains can drop in and take loads from the front or rear. Extra chain can be dropped into the remaining slots so there's no long loose end dragging.

If I want to use a nylon sling, I just hang it on a short piece of chain and drop both ends of the chain in slots so it hangs in a "U". In the pics below you can see the pieces of angle and how I fasten the brush forks with some chain and a hefty load binder with a short piece of strap.

Attachments

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
I have the 2 ahead of the arms and one round in the center as well, I have a length of chain wrapped around them.and clevices hanging off them, I welded the hooks with the pin provision on the end, I stood the hook so a nut is under the hole,and welded the hook to the nut,to the angle iron piece, then added bolts instead of pins , so then they can be unscrewed when I need attach something.