Bucket chain hooks?

jodebg

Nov 5, 2013
New Hartford, CT USA
I used another approach for the hooks - chain slots. These worked well on the B7500 for the 10 years I had it, so it was one of the first things done when the L3200 arrived. Heavy angle with slots that will accept 3/8" chain are bolted to the bucket. Chains can drop in and take loads from the front or rear. Extra chain can be dropped into the remaining slots so there's no long loose end dragging.

If I want to use a nylon sling, I just hang it on a short piece of chain and drop both ends of the chain in slots so it hangs in a "U". In the pics below you can see the pieces of angle and how I fasten the brush forks with some chain and a hefty load binder with a short piece of strap.
Chim-

Just found your post and photos. Really like your design, especially how they can be used from front or back and the short chain for straps.

What size angle iron did you use?

I have a 30 hp and a 37 hp tractor that I need hooks for.

Do you think that this open angle design is strong enough or would gussets be necessary? One of the buckets does not have the forward bucket edge resting against the front of the angle iron.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Just another option for you to look at with 3/8 hooks on each side and a center safety latch excavator hook for chains or straps in the center.

View attachment 20156

Last edited:

Silver Fox

Equipment
Kubota B 2620, rear blade, bush hog, subsoiler. front loader
Jan 12, 2016
cicero, Indiana
Kens Bolt on hooks.... google them. Put some on my B 2620 lifted a 600# gun safe with them, biggest thing i used them on so far. Works fine wished the hooks were a little bigger. Can barely get a chain link under them. Easy to install.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I can second the recommendation of Kenny's Bolt on Hooks.

It was one of the first mod's I did to my tractor.

Two years and lots of stuff moved.

He also sells Oblong Rings that fit the hooks. I use them when I am using a rope or strap.

Attachments

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
I just ordered a set of Ken's bolt on hooks for my bucket as well. I have a set of forks but this will make picking up my tiller and other small items much easier. Great product. Can't wait to install them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RedTailHawk

Jan 6, 2013
Capon Bridge, WV
Another thumbs up for Ken's Bolt-on hooks. I thought it was going to be a half-day project to install them. Took me a total of 10 minutes to install 2. Very happy with result.

P.S. I ordered his drill bit and deburring tool. Well worth it just to get the job done right and quickly.

MaineTom

Dec 22, 2014
China, Maine, USA
I used another approach for the hooks - chain slots. These worked well on the B7500 for the 10 years I had it, so it was one of the first things done when the L3200 arrived. Heavy angle with slots that will accept 3/8" chain are bolted to the bucket. Chains can drop in and take loads from the front or rear. Extra chain can be dropped into the remaining slots so there's no long loose end dragging.

If I want to use a nylon sling, I just hang it on a short piece of chain and drop both ends of the chain in slots so it hangs in a "U". In the pics below you can see the pieces of angle and how I fasten the brush forks with some chain and a hefty load binder with a short piece of strap.

I like this! I have some 4" channel iron I think I can use to do the same thing. I'll mount some D-rings on the bottom side to add some strength and provide for ropes/straps etc. Thanks for the idea! :)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
not having used slide in chain slots like this real often. but know tow trucks etc. use similar often........ still though.. would it be wise to have a pin or something that keeps chain from sliding up the slot enough to come out? Especially when the load is not yet fully applied or when a jussle over a bump etc. varies the pull load on the chain. Something like a sliding pin/bar

Attachments

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
not having used slide in chain slots like this real often. but know tow trucks etc. use similar often........ still though.. would it be wise to have a pin or something that keeps chain from sliding up the slot enough to come out? Especially when the load is not yet fully applied or when a jussle over a bump etc. varies the pull load on the chain. Something like a sliding pin/bar
The shear weight of the chain keeps it in the bucket mounted hooks, no latch or keeper is required especially since the open part of the hook is facing up most of the time.
We do have some "Twist-Lock" grab and slipp hooks for the chain though, great because the hooks cannot come off the chain when it goes slack.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
In the conversion of my LA504 Loader to SSQA for the Artillian Fork frame, I purchased a new bucket and no bucket should be without hooks. :cool:

My set of Kennys hooks arrived today.

The SSQA bucket has a seam where the front edge of the bucket rolls back underneath the SSQA mount. After considering other mounting options and not finding anything I liked better than my original choice I decided to "just deal with it".

Drilling the holes was a bit of a bugger once I got to the seam since I was only drilling through half of it. A dremel tool helped to clean up the half hole.

I needed to fill the gap behind the seam so I made some spacers to fill the void. I wanted to fill the gap so that the bolt would tighten down straight and I wanted to fully support the washer(s) under the nut.

Now if I just had 3 more Grade 8 1/2" x 2" bolts.....:rolleyes: The 1 1/2" bolts that come with the hooks will not be long enough due to the additional thickness since I am using both USS and SAE washers under the nut to lock the spacer into place.

* - Kenny provides all the hardware necessary for a "typical" installation, which includes (grade 8) 1/2" x 1 1/2" bolts, USS and SAE washers, and nylock nuts. This is usually sufficient to mount the hooks "in most applications".
There are a lot of options for Orange buckets.....and locations that you can put the hooks.
If you have a "unique" application for the hooks or you are a certified anal retentive obsessive compulsive over achiever like me....
Consider ordering just the hook (without the hardware) or just make a trip to the local hardware for some longer bolts.

Kenny also offers pre-drilled backing plates and blank plates as well. I made my spacer out of one of the blanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I'm sold on getting two of Ken's bolt on chain hooks for my BX, but not sure whether to get the clevis backing plates for an extra $30. I can see times when I might want to use straps or rope instead of chain, but he also sells some oblong rings that will work on the hooks, allowing lots of other options.

Anyone not get the clevis backing plates and then regret it? I can't see keeping shackles mounted to the inside of my bucket all the time, which might mean I wouldn't always want to take the time to install them (or even find them!) when I had a use for them. Clevis mount with shackle on the outside seems better to me, but not currently an option given the lip on the BX buckets, and also overkill and over budget if I'm already getting the chain hooks.

Having finally settled on a tractor I thought I was done with agonizing over choices, but this accessorizing business is a whole nuther way to stay up too late at the keyboard.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm sold on getting two of Ken's bolt on chain hooks for my BX, but not sure whether to get the clevis backing plates for an extra $30. I can see times when I might want to use straps or rope instead of chain, but he also sells some oblong rings that will work on the hooks, allowing lots of other options.

Anyone not get the clevis backing plates and then regret it? I can't see keeping shackles mounted to the inside of my bucket all the time, which might mean I wouldn't always want to take the time to install them (or even find them!) when I had a use for them. Clevis mount with shackle on the outside seems better to me, but not currently an option given the lip on the BX buckets, and also overkill and over budget if I'm already getting the chain hooks.

Having finally settled on a tractor I thought I was done with agonizing over choices, but this accessorizing business is a whole nuther way to stay up too late at the keyboard.

YOU will always have more decisions :D:D:) on your new machine!

DO not skimp - go ahead and get them! If I could not weld - I would have jumped on everything Ken makes, super nice stuff. I simply raised my three up to cover the lip.......but that was AFTER I installed and used the hooks for a year!;):)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Sorry for the amount of choices:p

But seriously, you can always add the clevis mounts later if you choose, all the plates and hole spacing is the same, you'd just remove the backing plates from the option 1's and replace with the clevis to make option 2's.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Seems like everything I need to think about for my 'new' L4600 shows up on a thread almost before I can ask.

I move logs around so I'll be putting on some of the regular hooks to hang log tongs off of by their own hook or ring. Just figuring out where to hang them. Looks like a lot of folks put them at the top of the bucket and curl the bucket down to hang the load basically off the front of the bucket. It would be better for me to put them at the bottom rear of the bucket to keep the bucket out of the way of the tongs and the log. I guess one would lose the strength of the bucket curl for lifting, but the loader arm lift should be plenty. At this point I've been wrapping a chain around the round tube between the loader arms and hanging tongs off of that.

Love the idea of bolting on instead of welding on the paint job! Looks like Ken is providing a great service and I'll be ordering up soon as I finalize what I need.