Bucket chain hooks?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Seems like everything I need to think about for my 'new' L4600 shows up on a thread almost before I can ask.

I move logs around so I'll be putting on some of the regular hooks to hang log tongs off of by their own hook or ring. Just figuring out where to hang them. Looks like a lot of folks put them at the top of the bucket and curl the bucket down to hang the load basically off the front of the bucket. It would be better for me to put them at the bottom rear of the bucket to keep the bucket out of the way of the tongs and the log. I guess one would lose the strength of the bucket curl for lifting, but the loader arm lift should be plenty. At this point I've been wrapping a chain around the round tube between the loader arms and hanging tongs off of that.

Love the idea of bolting on instead of welding on the paint job! Looks like Ken is providing a great service and I'll be ordering up soon as I finalize what I need.
Here is a perfect solution for hanging the tongs, a 3/8" TwistLock Slip hook fits on a 1/2 shackle perfectly. We will also have some "Forrest Hooks" in a month or so that make great chokers (although the TwistLock Slips do as well).

Attachments

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Interesting ideas, thanks. The whole thing is more complicated than just a hook but I guess the shackle itself is smaller and less obtrusive when you remove the hook so that's a plus. I'll consider!

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Interesting ideas, thanks. The whole thing is more complicated than just a hook but I guess the shackle itself is smaller and less obtrusive when you remove the hook so that's a plus. I'll consider!
If the ring on the tongs will fit directly in the 5/16" hook then that is certainly an option, but adding the TwistLock hook gives some security in that the tongs cannot come out. Using just a shackle may make the tong face 90* the wrong way, depending on what kind you have.

Just trying to provide options :D

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I have two tongs that are not identical. One has a ring and the other has a swivel hook. Both will hang off a grab hook so I think that's the way to go.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I think I misspoke in the above post because I was not clear on what a Grab hook is. Upon further review those are the ones with a slot sized for chain to slip into. Neither of my tongs will hang off one of those - the one with a hook on it is far to fat, and the ring on the other one is almost 3/4" diameter steel. I think I would need the big round open type of hook, sometimes called a 'sling hook'.

I don't see those as an option on the Bolt On Hooks site. I wonder if the ring shackle would work, at least for the tongs with the hook on them. For the others I'd need something in between to connect ring to shackle. Durn it. :(

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've always heard the larger open hooks called "slip hooks" as opposed to "grab hooks".

And the typical way to deal with that is with shortish adapter chains. I've got short chains with only about 5 or 6 links and a grab on one end, with a slip on the other (and a few other combos plus using hairpins I can easily change hooks). Very handy for LOTS of chain operations. Most all the equipment I ever recall dealing with has grab hooks integrated as part of the equipment (except for hoists) and use the short adapters as required. In your case, a suitable short chain also gives you the flexibility you will likely want to position the tongs in the most advantageous position.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I've always heard the larger open hooks called "slip hooks" as opposed to "grab hooks".
Correct, that is the standard terminology.

And the typical way to deal with that is with shortish adapter chains. I've got short chains with only about 5 or 6 links and a grab on one end, with a slip on the other (and a few other combos plus using hairpins I can easily change hooks). Very handy for LOTS of chain operations. Most all the equipment I ever recall dealing with has grab hooks integrated as part of the equipment (except for hoists) and use the short adapters as required. In your case, a suitable short chain also gives you the flexibility you will likely want to position the tongs in the most advantageous position.
Great advice BD :thumbsup:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I don't see those as an option on the Bolt On Hooks site.
We do not make "bolt on 'SLIP'" hooks for one simple reason: There is NOT a suitable slip hook made for welding at this time. They ALL have some type of clevis or other such attachment on the end for rope/chain/wire rope, are already plated (health risk and possible porosity while welding), and NONE are beveled properly to ensure a strong weld like the weldable grabs are (see attached pic), and NONE are "rated" or intended for welding from the manufacturer.

Any slip hook option your see that is welded or otherwise attached to a bucket has been in some way modified to make it work, period.

Attachments

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Ah, thanks for that info.

Actually you posted a solution at the top of this page that would work, the shackle with a 3/8" TwistLock Slip Hook. That might be the way to go. If there are Grab hooks that will also go onto that shackle, I could swap out as necessary.

Whoever posted about short adaptor chains, that may work too but the length of the tongs already cuts into my lift height, so the shorter the better.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The adapters are sometimes made up of only a single link/ring between hooks. Commercial examples often have a ring with a selection of grab/slip/t-hooks on one heavy ring. Really nice for taking up long chains when you just hook a grab on the chain, pull it up, and hook the other back to the same chain with the slack drooping between. Or used to connect one long chain to another to provide a sort of "net" to secure a load. Lots of uses.

Of course a weld on tab and clevis may work well, and I've even made my own "grab hooks" by using OA or plasma for slotting (and sometimes key-holing) appropriate structural steel, though in that case it's up to you (or your fabricator) to determine appropriate load limits and any liability concerns.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Have to put my .02 in also. I purchased three hooks with hardware from Ken's. Well worth it and I am in Canada so had to pay exchange and hefty freight. I now looking at the new hook Ken has the ball dog plus . thins that would be very handy in many situations.
Used the Hooks and sling with chaing to lift my zero turn to clean out the mower area. LIft a barrel out of ground and other things. Aslo purchased sling at same time. Mine is Kubota B2650HSDC with Quick attach. And yes had to drill through double amount of steel. I just oriented mine a bit forward to have the bolts go fully through both pieces .
Thanks Ken

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
This might be an obvious question but: I see a lot of you guys putting hooks at the top of the bucket. Since I'm hanging log tongs off these hooks, I want to put mine at the bottom of the bucket to let the tongs hang free. I don't think it would work with the tongs hanging in front of the bucket. I don't think I really need the curl of the bucket to pick up a log, gotta use the vertical lift of the arms to get it high enough for trailer loading/unloading or setting on the sawmill. The hooks are probably not going to be fully useful for all the same things that top mounted hooks would be, but as long as there is no structural reason I should not do it, it seems like the way to go. Anything I'm missing here?

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
This might be an obvious question but: I see a lot of you guys putting hooks at the top of the bucket. Since I'm hanging log tongs off these hooks, I want to put mine at the bottom of the bucket to let the tongs hang free. I don't think it would work with the tongs hanging in front of the bucket. I don't think I really need the curl of the bucket to pick up a log, gotta use the vertical lift of the arms to get it high enough for trailer loading/unloading or setting on the sawmill. The hooks are probably not going to be fully useful for all the same things that top mounted hooks would be, but as long as there is no structural reason I should not do it, it seems like the way to go. Anything I'm missing here?
I've seen them mounted on the sides, on the back, and obviously on top-put them where they are useful for you and you work habits.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Have to put my .02 in also. I purchased three hooks with hardware from Ken's. Well worth it and I am in Canada so had to pay exchange and hefty freight. I now looking at the new hook Ken has the ball dog plus . thins that would be very handy in many situations.
Used the Hooks and sling with chaing to lift my zero turn to clean out the mower area. LIft a barrel out of ground and other things. Aslo purchased sling at same time. Mine is Kubota B2650HSDC with Quick attach. And yes had to drill through double amount of steel. I just oriented mine a bit forward to have the bolts go fully through both pieces .
Thanks Ken

Thank you, and everybody else in this thread who have kind words to say about our products!

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Just a suggestion, but lifting logs like that may be easier with a bolt-on grapple for your bucket (don't have to set the tongs and the log won't swing or rotate), or if you have the need for pallet forks, get a set of forks and with the forks removed attach the tongs to the fork frame.

Probably no structural reason to not attach a hook to the bottom, but it may get in the way of other tasks.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Probably no structural reason to not attach a hook to the bottom, but it may get in the way of other tasks.
I made this hitch/hook contraption, attaches to the bottom lip of bucket, can be used left/center/right, handy as all get out, and is easily removable for other tasks.

Attachments

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
KennyD should give all of us Orange tractor guys a lil discount ***55357;***56841; Either way I'm about to order two of them for the bucket.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
Just a suggestion, but lifting logs like that may be easier with a bolt-on grapple for your bucket (don't have to set the tongs and the log won't swing or rotate), or if you have the need for pallet forks, get a set of forks and with the forks removed attach the tongs to the fork frame.

Not sure what a bolt on grapple would look like, do you have a link to one?

I just bought some pallet forks and I do intend to hang the tongs off them sometimes. Other times I may have the bucket on and need to move a log or two, and would like to have the option of doing it without changing implements. Certainly more lift capacity available w/o that heavy bucket on there, but the logs are not always huge. Just trying to maximize the flexibility. BTW they would not be on the bottom of the bucket, but on the rear panel at the bottom. So the bucket could still sit flat on the ground for doing bucket stuff.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com