Battery

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Anyone else have problems finding the correct size battery for their Kubota? The battery in my B2620 is finally getting weak. Still glow plugs and starts, but spins over quite a bit slower than it used to. Shows 12.7 volts but I don't have a load tester at home here. And the green eye is non-existent now.
Anyway, I call my Kubota dealer who I usually praise. I get some new parts kid on the phone that has an attitude. He ends up telling me I got one that might fit but the posts are opposite. Then they want $191.00

So call the local Parts Source. I explain to the guy that I cannot find a Group number on the battery but have the dimensions......9x5 inch, 8 inch tall. He gets irritable.
So I said, no hurry, just call me back when you have time. Then I get attitude....."I'll have to measure a hundred batteries on the shelf." So I said don't worry about it then. Ten minutes later he calls me back in a better mood and says I found one but it is 9.75 inches long.

I don't know........is it easier to just trade the tractor in every time the battery gets weak??

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
AS you are looking at your battery ........ check the wiring TOO the battery and from the battery - grounds especially .....

The voltage may appear fine - BUT the amps do the dirty work. In other words - a battery new or old cannot deliver the needed "juice" if the wiring is corroded.

Your battery may indeed be on the latter end of it's life but just for S and G's check all the cabling.

Also - your battery "box" might be able to handle a little bigger battery in physical size - I would measure the container area and then go out and do a little measuring yourself...... getting the larges CCA you can afford in the process.

hell - young people today cannot tell time on an analog clock - much less ready an imperial tape measure.........

I teach "reading" the ruler every @#$@#$@# year - and each year the kids know less and less. They would not know 1/16" of an inch if I hit them with a stick that had the marking on it!!!!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would personally just take the battery up to the local auto parts store. But... measure your battery box as well and bring your tape.

You'll need the old battery for a core anyway. If they don't have the exact battery, then you can measure some that are close to the same size and find one that will fit.

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Thanks. Cables and connections are all like new. No corrosion anywhere. I figure it is about time. I got 8 years out of that original battery.
I got my big charger on it right now doing a recondition/desulfate cycle. I'll see in morning if it made any difference, if not I am going to do like you all said.......take it out and bring it to town for them to match up.
I know the one Parts Source said they found has more cranking amps, so that would be good.

It's just maddening that there are so many different case sizes and nobody that stocks any of them any more.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Measure your battery - all three dimensions. Measure the space you have where you can put it. Go online, you can find battery group sizes there. Find the best group size fit for your circumstances. Confirm the orientation of your positive and negative terminals relative to the battery. Many batteries can be had in either of two post configurations. Thus armed you'll know what group size you can use and your auto parts store can take it from there.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Just went through this online search for a battery.....measured the base of the battery tray (the most critical of all measurements in my situation), and then began the online search.

FWIW, the online measurements (width and length) are of the top portion of the battery, which is 1/2 to 3/4" larger than the base of the battery,.......so it helps to take that into consideration when your trying to get the largest battery for your tractor.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thanks. Cables and connections are all like new. No corrosion anywhere. I figure it is about time. I got 8 years out of that original battery.
I got my big charger on it right now doing a recondition/desulfate cycle. I'll see in morning if it made any difference, if not I am going to do like you all said.......take it out and bring it to town for them to match up.
I know the one Parts Source said they found has more cranking amps, so that would be good.

It's just maddening that there are so many different case sizes and nobody that stocks any of them any more.

Most likely with measurements of the old battery and battery box to determine specs, you can figure out the group number using a BCI chart.

If your local suppliers have decent websites, you can probably determine who has what options in stock without speaking to anyone before heading to town. Even if they don’t have decent websites conversations with parts folks should be more fruitful when armed with a number they can look up in the computer without having to think.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

What is the JIS number on the battery?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just went through this online search for a battery.....measured the base of the battery tray (the most critical of all measurements in my situation), and then began the online search.

FWIW, the online measurements (width and length) are of the top portion of the battery, which is 1/2 to 3/4" larger than the base of the battery,.......so it helps to take that into consideration when your trying to get the largest battery for your tractor.
I own a lot of batteries. Never have I seen one that is tapered from top to bottom. What brand of battery do you find as you described?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Anyone else have problems finding the correct size battery for their Kubota? The battery in my B2620 is finally getting weak. Still glow plugs and starts, but spins over quite a bit slower than it used to. Shows 12.7 volts but I don't have a load tester at home here. And the green eye is non-existent now.
Anyway, I call my Kubota dealer who I usually praise. I get some new parts kid on the phone that has an attitude. He ends up telling me I got one that might fit but the posts are opposite. Then they want $191.00

So call the local Parts Source. I explain to the guy that I cannot find a Group number on the battery but have the dimensions......9x5 inch, 8 inch tall. He gets irritable.
So I said, no hurry, just call me back when you have time. Then I get attitude....."I'll have to measure a hundred batteries on the shelf." So I said don't worry about it then. Ten minutes later he calls me back in a better mood and says I found one but it is 9.75 inches long.

I don't know........is it easier to just trade the tractor in every time the battery gets weak??
Kubota seems to go out of their way to keep the group size a secret. The parts manual for your tractor has the following in Remarks column: 55B24L(s). I suspect that is the JIS designation Fordtech asked about. A Google search returns that battery as

9 3/8" x 5 1/16" x 8 13/16"
410 CCA
20aH

Here is one source - apparently used in and available from Honda. Should not be too hard to find.

Dan

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

My CNH/Kubota dealer sells CNH and Kubota batteries but the overwhelming majority of sales are Deka, which is what I have been buying for the past several years with very god results.

I bought a new battery for my B1750 about 2 years ago for $88.90. Yes, my parts guy gives me a good customer discount and prices have gone up.

The battery in my B1750 is used in many Kubota models and may be the same as used in your 2620 because it is made with both regular and "reversed" terminals. The reversed terminal model fits some Honda Civics of years past.

I bought the extra capacity HD reversed model, which is a 651RMF. This is designed for HD applications ahd also has a higher CCA rating. This is not a common battery so my dealer needed to order it for me but the truck from their battery supplier visits each week.

I do not have the measurements in front of me but believe that this is the battery that you need. The 651RMF (extra capacity) version is the same dimensions as the standard version, reversed or otherwise (the R in the model number indicates reversed) it simply has a higher CCA rating and costs a bit more. It is intended for high vibration applications such as tractors rather than automobiles.

Any decent battery supplier can look up the 651RMF group number and tell you the dimensions as well as CCA and price.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
It may well be a Group 51R
About 450-500 CCA
Very popular Honda battery.
Good Luck!
Bingo.

Most likely.

This battery is available with both standard and reversed terminals and the dimensions are the same as batteries used in many Kubota models.

Both HD and extra capacity versions are available from Deka and (probably) others.

See above.

SDT

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I didn’t double check old hokie, but if the jis number is 55b24L then it converts to a group 51R.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Measure your battery - all three dimensions. Measure the space you have where you can put it. Go online, you can find battery group sizes there. Find the best group size fit for your circumstances. Confirm the orientation of your positive and negative terminals relative to the battery. Many batteries can be had in either of two post configurations. Thus armed you'll know what group size you can use and your auto parts store can take it from there.
I did do that before I started. Nothing matched the dimensions. in the Group size charts. So I'll have to look at the closest one.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I didn’t double check old hokie, but if the jis number is 55b24L then it converts to a group 51R.
Must be it maybe. Even my parts book for my tractor, it has part numbers and prices for every piece, the cables, the hold-down's etc. But where it shows the battery, all it says is "battery" LOL

Here is all that is on it.

Attachments

bsekf

Premium Member

Equipment
m5400
Jul 27, 2013
Western NY
Go to your local Walmart with a ruler and buy one that will fit with the most amp hours. Tough to beat Wally World batteries value.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hate to tell you but $191 isn't crazy these days for a car battery. I paid over $150 for one for my wife's Subaru. Not from the dealership either...it was from an auto parts store. Nuts. I would try and find a replacement from Walmart's Everstart plus line...

Perhaps you can find a group size on the existing battery? Then match CCA and find one from Walmart.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I own a lot of batteries. Never have I seen one that is tapered from top to bottom. What brand of battery do you find as you described?
It's not tapered........the top cap that fits over the case (plus provision for a handle) is larger than the bottom of the case.

Some top caps may be flush, however in my search most of them were larger.
FWIW, the measurements given by manufacturer or retailer reflects the battery at it max length, width.......which will be that of the top if larger than the bottom.

Attachments

Last edited: