Battery

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Where were the batteries leaking? From the seams? The tops? The bottom of cases?
What kind of service were the vehicles experiencing. Sunday-got-to-church? Farm work in the fields? Off-Roading?
What Group or size batteries? (one you chose off-the-shelf? or exactly what the vehicle mfr’s specified..?) What battery Group/Sizes were each battery..?? Identical ? or different?)
So many battery replacements and identical problems each time does not lead me to suspect the batteries…. it leads me to suspect the vehicle or its’ operations. (battery-tray piercing the battery case? or bouncing around so hard they fracture? or did they boil-over? I.E., in what way were they leaking? always the same type of leak?? or different each time..??)

Understand…my questions are not intended to prove You wrong…or to prove Me right…. I’m only trying to discover why repeated battery failures occurred to a well-known brand produced by a well-respected mfr’r such as Johnson Controls. I can understand your disappointment with them but It’s difficult to imagine a bad production batch ending up at the same store without a recall-notice.
I'm not going to get into all of the particulars, as you can see there is nothing I can say that will be accepted. The leakage appeared to be coming out around the posts. Suffice it know that the correct batteries were chosen and my vehicles are treated with great care. The van is now 42 years old and still in excellent condition.

IMG_2304 (2).JPG

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I'm not going to get into all of the particulars, as you can see there is nothing I can say that will be accepted. The leakage appeared to be coming out around the posts. Suffice it know that the correct batteries were chosen and my vehicles are treated with great care. The van is now 42 years old and still in excellent condition.

View attachment 71411
Not getting into the battery issues on the thread, but have to say your van is in incredible condition for age and model. The vast majority of that vintage van were used, abused, and beat to death as quickly as practical. Been a LONG time since I’ve seen one nearly that clean. Very nice!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Yes, nice van! And that is what my original battery inn my Kubota just did.....I noticed it was wet around the positive post. And got a lot wetter when I put the charger on it, and charger immediately went to float mode because battery still had 12.7 volts. It just had no cranking power.
What a difference rolling over now with the new battery.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

View attachment 71411
Those are the wrong, non-original size tires. 😱

(I’d like to BUY IT!) 😜

That IS a nice one! (miles on it? engine/trans? got an 8-track?)

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Those are the wrong, non-original size tires. 😱

(I’d like to BUY IT!) 😜

That IS a nice one! (miles on it? engine/trans? got an 8-track?)
Actually the tires are as close to original as you can get with the new-fangled metric sizes.

About 157,000 miles.

350 bored .030" over making it a 355. Many upgraded parts in the engine. It came from the factory without one oil ring, a split rocker arm and a metal chip gouging a rod bearing. The Chevrolet warranty added extra valve seals on that piston, idiots. I did the proper fix myself.

Of course it has an 8-track, along with AM, FM and CB all in one in dash unit.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ve got a 1968/9-vintage Akai Reel-to-Reel tape-recorder/player brought back from VietNam R&R in Australia with an 8-track player/recorder built-into it and a blank 8-track cassette which has never been used at all (except to play the stereo reel-to-reel “demo” tape that came with it.)* You might need to get it out of my store-room! 😜

* The demo-tape is hilarious. It is intended to demonstrate the stereophonic capabilities of the machine and includes a recording of a steam-locomotive pulling into the station from stage-right. (Keep in-mind that in the mid-60s Japan was still within the memory of most Japanese the events of World War Two and recovery was just entering the field of consumer-electronics.)

The ”demo tape” begins with the steam locomotive (still common in Japan at that time) pulling into the station from the right…and pausing with squealing brakes and hissing-steam just-past center-stage…slightly to the Left when the whistle Blows in your left-ear… and an extremely Excited, Enthusiastic and Proud Japanese Nationalist shouts at you ——“THAT IS THE SOUND OF POWELFURR JAPANESE ROCOMOTIVE!”

It’s all one can do to keep from collapsing in laughter! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’ve got a 1968/9-vintage Akai Reel-to-Reel tape-recorder/player brought back from VietNam R&R in Australia with an 8-track player/recorder built-into it and a blank 8-track cassette which has never been used at all (except to play the stereo reel-to-reel “demo” tape that came with it.)* You might need to get it out of my store-room! 😜

* The demo-tape is hilarious. It is intended to demonstrate the stereophonic capabilities of the machine and includes a recording of a steam-locomotive pulling into the station from stage-right. (Keep in-mind that in the mid-60s Japan was still within the memory of most Japanese the events of World War Two and recovery was just entering the field of consumer-electronics.)

The ”demo tape” begins with the steam locomotive (still common in Japan at that time) pulling into the station from the right…and pausing with squealing brakes and hissing-steam just-past center-stage…slightly to the Left when the whistle Blows in your left-ear… and an extremely Excited, Enthusiastic and Proud Japanese Nationalist shouts at you ——“THAT IS THE SOUND OF POWELFURR JAPANESE ROCOMOTIVE!”

It’s all one can do to keep from collapsing in laughter! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Deployed to Vietnam from Atsugi, Japan in '67, and returned to Japan as civilian many times since.
I just "ROVED" reading this post!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users