Battery

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Batteries sometimes seem to be a crap shoot.
The heaviest lead acid battery will usually be the most cost effective.
In my opinion, the fancy batteries (Optima etc.) are usually not worth their premium price.
True - I’ve had zero luck with Walmart batteries, others swear by them.

I never priced an AGM, as I decided back in July to stick with a good SLA.

I was surprised by the price differences of them at the time. I’ve had great luck with NAPA batteries, even though they don’t make them.

It was $170, whereas Walmart was $58. Others were $125-150.

In January at -10F, I didn’t want to find out the $58 Walmart battery was a bad choice.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
True - I’ve had zero luck with Walmart batteries, others swear by them.

I never priced an AGM, as I decided back in July to stick with a good SLA.

I was surprised by the price differences of them at the time. I’ve had great luck with NAPA batteries, even though they don’t make them.

It was $170, whereas Walmart was $58. Others were $125-150.

In January at -10F, I didn’t want to find out the $58 Walmart battery was a bad choice.
What you say makes total sense!
That said however: I have had very good luck with Wally Mart batteries.
I buy their EverStart MAXX, if available in the proper physical size to meet my needs.
Fortunately I don't need to be concerned about January starts.
My 13 Battery Minders/Tenders are hooked up, and I am 1500 miles South of my toys.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What you say makes total sense!
That said however: I have had very good luck with Wally Mart batteries.
I buy their EverStart MAXX, if available in the proper physical size to meet my needs.
Fortunately I don't need to be concerned about January starts.
My 13 Battery Minders/Tenders are hooked up, and I am 1500 miles South of my toys.
I don't know what flavor WalMart batteries I bought, but after getting stung a couple times, swore off them.

If they work for you, that's great. Looks like you have good company.

Several guys buy from there with great luck. I'm not one of them.

Reactions: 1 user

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
My B2601 takes the same battery as my wife's 2017 Honda CR-V, Group size 51R. I also am a user of Walmart's Everstart Maxx batteries. Currently $140

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I don't know what flavor WalMart batteries I bought, but after getting stung a couple times, swore off them.

If they work for you, that's great. Looks like you have good company.

Several guys buy from there with great luck. I'm not one of them.

BTDT, never again. After repairing several battery trays, replacing two windshield washer pumps and replacing alternators in a last ditch effort to get two different vehicles operational, I will not buy even a flashlight battery from them. Yes, I believed the theory about all batteries built by the same company are the same, I am no longer a believer.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I think it's all a crap shoot, LOL last time I bought batteries for my diesel pickup everyone told me "buy Interstate, they are the best"
But I had better luck with Motorcraft and Canadian Tire batteries then I had with that set.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
WalMart sells El-Cheapo batteries just like everyone else. AutoZone sells ”ValueCraft”, NAPA sells “Proformer”, The WalMart cheap LOOKS similar to EverSTart Max and has the Everstart name-band…but is their “VAlue EverStart”… and not the MAXX which most of us have found to be good batteries.

None of the “loss leader” batteries will last much more than a year…and if your replacing battery trays washer-pumps and alternators…the problem is NOT the battery…. based on the battery-tray/washerpump/alternator it was likely the rest of the charging system because it boiled the battery and would have boiled any battery.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
WalMart sells El-Cheapo batteries just like everyone else. AutoZone sells ”ValueCraft”, NAPA sells “Proformer”, The WalMart cheap LOOKS similar to EverSTart Max and has the Everstart name-band…but is their “VAlue EverStart”… and not the MAXX which most of us have found to be good batteries.

None of the “loss leader” batteries will last much more than a year…and if your replacing battery trays washer-pumps and alternators…the problem is NOT the battery…. based on the battery-tray/washerpump/alternator it was likely the rest of the charging system because it boiled the battery and would have boiled any battery.
My Walmart batteries were the MAXX, I never buy the cheapest. The things puked out acid destroying components around and below, the washer pump is below the battery. All tests showed the charging systems were in order and replacing the batteries with another brand cured the problem in both vehicles. Always blame the victim.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
My Walmart batteries were the MAXX, I never buy the cheapest. The things puked out acid destroying components around and below, the washer pump is below the battery. All tests showed the charging systems were in order and replacing the batteries with another brand cured the problem in both vehicles. Always blame the victim.
Sooo….you prefer to blame the Walmart battery rather than the alternator you already said had to be replaced? According to your story you victimized the battery with an alternator which overcharged it… so you blamed the victim.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Sooo….you prefer to blame the Walmart battery rather than the alternator you already said had to be replaced? According to your story you victimized the battery with an alternator which overcharged it… so you blamed the victim.
I didn't say the alternators had to be replaced, it was a last ditch effort to get the vehicles back on the road. The batteries were not over charged, this was two completely different vehicles and the only thing in common was the junk batteries that were replaced multiple times. When the batteries were replaced with another brand, all problems went away.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Agreed.

Overcharging.

SDT

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Agreed.

Overcharging.

SDT
So four different alternators were all defective and replacing the batteries with another brand fixed the problem? All of my voltmeters are defective as well? I didn't come here to ask advice, only report my experience.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Lynmor, your OP is what conflicts with your latter comments. In your OP you posted “After repairing several battery trays, replacing two windshield washer pumps and replacing alternators in a last ditch effort to get two different vehicles operational, I will not buy even a flashlight battery from them.”

This seems to indicate your battery(s) boiled-over destroying your battery trays, washer pumps, and that you replaced your alternators…. and subsequent posts indicate the problems were resolved.
Since the LAST corrective action you posted before installing new battery(s) was to replace the alternators…. the logical conclusion for readers is that the alternators boiled your battery(s)…. But You appeared to conclude changing battery(s) is what resolved the issue.… not congruent with what you now state.

Sooo… wanna make the story a better read? … then tell us the details ..in proper sequence…if you want us to believe it was the battery…. and even then it makes no logic because the battery should have been warrantied if that was the problem. NOw…. what is your real story…?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Lynmor, your OP is what conflicts with your latter comments. In your OP you posted “After repairing several battery trays, replacing two windshield washer pumps and replacing alternators in a last ditch effort to get two different vehicles operational, I will not buy even a flashlight battery from them.”

This seems to indicate your battery(s) boiled-over destroying your battery trays, washer pumps, and that you replaced your alternators…. and subsequent posts indicate the problems were resolved.
Since the LAST corrective action you posted before installing new battery(s) was to replace the alternators…. the logical conclusion for readers is that the alternators boiled your battery(s)…. But You appeared to conclude changing battery(s) is what resolved the issue.… not congruent with what you now state.

Sooo… wanna make the story a better read? … then tell us the details ..in proper sequence…if you want us to believe it was the battery…. and even then it makes no logic because the battery should have been warrantied if that was the problem. NOw…. what is your real story…?
OK, two vehicles, one is an old Chevy van and the other is a six year old Tahoe.
Both needed batteries about the same time, so I replaced them with Walmart MAXX. (#1 & #2)
Both of the batteries lost electrolyte that caused damage to battery trays and more.
Voltage readings were correct when running.
Took the batteries back to Walmart and they replaced them. (#3 & #4)
I repaired all of the damage only to have the same leakage.
Took them back, and again Walmart replaced them. (#5 & #6)
I repaired all the damage again, only to have the same thing.
I wondered if the alternators were leaking AC current although none was detected, but I replaced them anyway. The one on the van had a warranty and that one was replaced free.
Repaired the damage a third time but the #5 & #6 batteries continued to cause damage.
Took one battery back and asked for a different model, they refused and gave me the same thing. (#7) Same issue.

All of the above occurred over approximately one year.

Gave up on Walmart and bought two batteries of a different brand, absolutely no more problems. NEVER AGAIN!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK, two vehicles, one is an old Chevy van and the other is a six year old Tahoe.
Both needed batteries about the same time, so I replaced them with Walmart MAXX. (#1 & #2)
Both of the batteries lost electrolyte that caused damage to battery trays and more.
Voltage readings were correct when running.
Took the batteries back to Walmart and they replaced them. (#3 & #4)
I repaired all of the damage only to have the same leakage.
Took them back, and again Walmart replaced them. (#5 & #6)
I repaired all the damage again, only to have the same thing.
I wondered if the alternators were leaking AC current although none was detected, but I replaced them anyway. The one on the van had a warranty and that one was replaced free.
Repaired the damage a third time but the #5 & #6 batteries continued to cause damage.
Took one battery back and asked for a different model, they refused and gave me the same thing. (#7) Same issue.

All of the above occurred over approximately one year.

Gave up on Walmart and bought two batteries of a different brand, absolutely no more problems. NEVER AGAIN!
I am not in any way suggesting that you are fibbing, but as I (81 years old) understand batteries, something here just does not pass the leaking battery smell test!

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Why was there no mention of the price payed by OP (that means Original Poster I recently learned). This seems an important part of the "conversation". Maybe I missed it. Do disclose. Thanks

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I am not in any way suggesting that you are fibbing, but as I (81 years old) understand batteries, something here just does not pass the leaking battery smell test!
You only have a few years on me. Yes, you don't like what I said so you dismiss me as one with no knowledge about the matter at hand. People can't grasp the concept of Walmart buyers beating every last nickle out of their suppliers. I did not lie to you and I don't care what you do with the information I provided.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Where were the batteries leaking? From the seams? The tops? The bottom of cases?
What kind of service were the vehicles experiencing. Sunday-got-to-church? Farm work in the fields? Off-Roading?
What Group or size batteries? (one you chose off-the-shelf? or exactly what the vehicle mfr’s specified..?) What battery Group/Sizes were each battery..?? Identical ? or different?)
So many battery replacements and identical problems each time does not lead me to suspect the batteries…. it leads me to suspect the vehicle or its’ operations. (battery-tray piercing the battery case? or bouncing around so hard they fracture? or did they boil-over? I.E., in what way were they leaking? always the same type of leak?? or different each time..??)

Understand…my questions are not intended to prove You wrong…or to prove Me right…. I’m only trying to discover why repeated battery failures occurred to a well-known brand produced by a well-respected mfr’r such as Johnson Controls. I can understand your disappointment with them but It’s difficult to imagine a bad production batch ending up at the same store without a recall-notice.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You only have a few years on me. Yes, you don't like what I said so you dismiss me as one with no knowledge about the matter at hand. People can't grasp the concept of Walmart buyers beating every last nickle out of their suppliers. I did not lie to you and I don't care what you do with the information I provided.
I thought I very CLEARLY explained that I was NOT demeaning you!
Apparently you did not read my comment carefully, and decided to jump directly to NASTY.
However you chose to react matters not to me.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, makes me feel better anyway that I didn't go the extra mile to spend more and find an AGM that fit.
It is really hard to say what/who is correct.
Results seem to be all over the place!