B7001 4x4 not working

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Be aware, Those tires are known to SUCK in the snow. Just don't want you to get 4wd working and be disappointed that it is not much help.

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Be aware, Those tires are known to SUCK in the snow. Just don't want you to get 4wd working and be disappointed that it is not much help.
That's strange. I surfed around online and seems lots of these tractors were shown pushing snow. I have chains for mine. Maybe that will help?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Here are some pictures that may help. One is a broader view of missing piece and other is a shot in tried to get into the hole
I was looking at your pictures and can see a bolt missing directly below the seat, right in between where your legs, on the plate where a diverter valve would be bolted on (sorry I don't know the technical name). Some tractors came with a diverter valve, some didn't (mine doesn't have one). I'm guessing that is a wide open hole into the transmission case which is not good.

That's all I can see in the first picture, the second pic doesn't show up well on my IPad. You should try taking a few more pics getting a better focus on exactly where your talking about so the fellas can help you out better.

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
I was looking at your pictures and can see a bolt missing directly below the seat, right in between where your legs, on the plate where a diverter valve would be bolted on (sorry I don't know the technical name). Some tractors came with a diverter valve, some didn't (mine doesn't have one). I'm guessing that is a wide open hole into the transmission case which is not good.

That's all I can see in the first picture, the second pic doesn't show up well on my IPad. You should try taking a few more pics getting a better focus on exactly where your talking about so the fellas can help you out better.
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I finally found a picture and description of what the darn thing is. Literally about 15 minutes ago. I love this site!! There is a cap that bolts on there and behind the cap is the transmission filter screen. I am now on the hunt for the part number and if it's available.

Here's the pix I found on here. It's very clear

Re the bolt missing under the seat, I thought that just held the bracket? I will look into that. Thanks. Is your tractor a B7001 as well?

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rascal,
That is not what's missing on yours, that would be the filter screen on an L, completely different.
it's also at the bottom of the case not halfway up.
Your filter screen is located on the other side, go to kubotabooks.com and download the 3 parts B7100 service manual and it will show you the filter location.

I'm really wondering if someone has tried to do something and put a hole in the case, as that hole on the B7100 is just a blank cast hole.

Last edited:

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Rascal,
That is not what's missing on yours, that would be the filter screen on an L, completely different.
it's also at the bottom of the case not halfway up.
Your filter screen is located on the other side, go to kubotabooks.com and download the 3 parts B7100 service manual and it will show you the filter location.

I'm really wondering if someone has tried to do something and put a hole in the case, as that hole on the B7100 is just a blank cast hole.
This gal is about ready to go snappers! Lol

I do have that schematic a number of times but I can't find anywhere on it where it says filter or screen. I even had someone at work look because I can be daft.lol he couldn't find anything on the numbered items of the parts breadown either.

This is the link is stumbled across:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2...uction-screens-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

Note where it says "Where is my suction filter" My tractor is a 1971 B7001.
Serial number B700 1617

Thank you for your help and patience

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok here is a picture from the B7001 ops manual (in french) off of kubotabooks .com, I thought I would use this one opposed to the b7100, just in case I was missing something. ;)

The other pictures are all L's that show the filter on the left side, B's are on the right.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Ok here is a picture from the B7001 ops manual (in french) off of kubotabooks .com, I thought I would use this one opposed to the b7100, just in case I was missing something. ;)

The other pictures are all L's that show the filter on the left side, B's are on the right.
Thanks again for your patience and help. I was all excited thinking I had gotten to the bottom of it all. Lol
So that explains where the filter is. Any ideas what goes over the hole on left side?

Someone had thought maybe there had been a loader on it so it was a drain back but he hasn't had anything on it.it is a machined hole with 2 tapped holes. The terrible picture I posted is what is in the hole. Looks like a horizontal spring but I can't get close enough for a good shot

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's possible, albeit odd, that someone has drilled it out.

I would think the easy solution would be to just make a plate to cover the hole. ;)

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Yes, I will cover it. I have fresh oil for the transmission and will try and find and clean the filter. Theres a fellow in Manitoba that has parts for these tractors. This is what he suggested:

"I suspect your 4 wd coupler is done. Located where the 4 wd shafts connects to the transmission. Quite common. This can be checked tractor shut off by jacking up one front wheel engage the 4 wd and get under the tractor and look up to where the drive shafts connects to the Trans.
Have someone, or if you can reach it, rotate the front wheel. The drive shaft will rotate. Check to see if the transmission shaft is rotated by the coupler at the same time.

If the drive shaft does not rotate then the problem lies between the drive shaft and the front wheel"

Not something I can do on my own but if it will give me an answer....

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Update: sort of.
Well I tried what was suggested and shot two videos. First one, I jacked up one wheel and with tractor in 4x4 in neutral noticed that shaft did turn when I turned the front raised wheel. I put tractor in 1st gear & reverse & other gears. No difference. So, it's suggested that I take the cover off of the transmission. Not sure if that's something that I can I want to get into. Not sure how complicated it is. Is there a lot involved in taking off the cover?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you try putting the 4wd in gear when you had it up?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes I did. I actually switched from 2wd to 4wd a couple of times. If it will help and it's allowed, i can post a video
Oh yes post away, You might have to load it to a third party posting site like You Tube then link it here.

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Ok thanks! Also, I found a guy that MAY be able to come up to the boonies on Sunday and have a look at it. Having trouble loading the video so may have to postpone that for now

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
So sorry. I should have updated.
I finally had the old girl hauled to a guy and they tore it down. Whoever worked on this tractor before should never work on another.
Mechanic found a cotter pin holding a shaft that should have been a roll pin, a piece of bolt in bottom of case, an extra long bolt that was loose that was supposed to be holding the case together. All kinds off terrible things. Also, two gears that needed replacement. Some of the linkage was hinky too.So, some more $ later, tractor is home with new bade on back and works okay. It still has some problems but I can use it for light work. I'll probably use it the winter and consider selling it. I'll never recoup my money but can't whine about that. Lol
As for the hole in side, I just covered it.

Thanks for the input and reminder.