Are you ready for Winter?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I will need to get 4-5 tons of pellets. Can’t store them too early, no room.

Seems like overnight my sugar maples are dropping leaves like crazy.

Certainly gets one thinking….🤔

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm ready for winter. We'll change the summer bedspread to the winter comforter sometime in November.

On November 13th I plan to leave bedspreads behind and head for Florida.
No need for a Winter comforter there either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

I'm pretty much set, good wood stacked, just have to take stupid tooth bar off tractor and put rear blade on.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
image.jpg

image.jpg

Three tons of pellets in…have another half ton left from last season. Will get another ton in October.

Tore pellet stove apart for preventive maintenance. Replaced the door glass after 15 years and about 80 tons. Old glass was getting pitted on the interior.

Putting it back together today.

Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
View attachment 66712

View attachment 66713

Three tons of pellets in…have a half left from last season. Will get another ton in October.

Tore pellet stove apart for preventive maintenance. Replaced the door glass. Putting it back together today.
Is that a XXV/ I had one in a place we sold last year, nice stove. I bought a Absolute Harman for the home I'm in and love it. A bit harder to clean but that's about it.
What happened to the door glass.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is that a XXV/ I had one in a place we sold last year, nice stove. I bought a Absolute Harman for the home I'm in and love it. A bit harder to clean but that's about it.
What happened to the door glass.
Tom - yep, an XXV. Had it 15 seasons. It’s our primary heat for our 1,500 sq. ft.house.

If I bought another pellet stove tomorrow, it’d be an XXV.

We have an oil boiler/hot water baseboard system, but prices can get scary for fuel oil. We burn about 20 gallons of fuel oil per year now, versus 1,100 when I burned wood.

The glass was just eroded close to the burn pot. I would clean it and the ash would coat it overnight. The price was scary….$250 for a small piece of mirrored glass.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Tom - yep, an XXV. Had it 15 seasons. It’s our primary heat for our 1,500 sq. ft.house.

If I bought another pellet stove tomorrow, it’d be an XXV.

We have an oil boiler/hot water baseboard system, but prices can get scary for fuel oil. We burn about 20 gallons of fuel oil per year now, versus 1,100 when I burned wood.

The glass was just eroded close to the burn pot. I would clean it and the ash would coat it overnight. The price was scary….$250 for a small piece of mirrored glass.
Yea, this is the 4th Harman stove I've had. The only issue I ever had was a Lighting Strike in the front yard of my old home took out a control board on one.
That Glass is ceramic based I only use Spray Nine to clean it and then Windex to make it pretty. We do clean it weekly though the ash pan, interior, glass and burn pot.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Love my Harman P-68. Trouble-free. I heat a pretty big house though, and I like it warm at my old age. We get temperature inversions here in the desert - a layer of bitter cold air and sometimes clouds lay on the valley floor (~4400 feet elevation) - yet, if you drive up a mountain you soon break out of the fog into bright sunshine and temperatures that are 50 degrees warmer than down on the valley floor. The inversion can last for a week or more, with temperatures down to 20 below. It's quite a sight, seeing that layer of fog with mountain peaks poking out of it.
2020-12-30-0005r.jpg

2020-12-30-0007r.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Love my Harman P-68. Trouble-free. I heat a pretty big house though, and I like it warm at my old age. We get temperature inversions here in the desert - a layer of bitter cold air and sometimes clouds lay on the valley floor (~4400 feet elevation) - yet, if you drive up a mountain you soon break out of the fog into bright sunshine and temperatures that are 50 degrees warmer than down on the valley floor. The inversion can last for a week or more, with temperatures down to 20 below. It's quite a sight, seeing that layer of fog with mountain peaks poking out of it.
View attachment 66716

View attachment 66717
Yeah - a P-68 is a lot more BTU than my 50k. Great stove.

I worried about that at first, but it’s held up so far.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I plan on using the same setup as last winter (which was my first with the Kubota). 48" blower on the front and 60" rear blade on the back.....Turfs and no chains. Worked like a charm last year.....no reason to think it won't work well for this season

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Still cutting grass here in northern MI. I will probably mow one more time. The conversion will be new for me as I just bought the LX this spring. It is going to be surreal going out in the cold, blowing, and snowing evenings during a good ole snow event in my heated cab. I have been blowing a 1/4 mile driveway in my Carharts and Mad Bomber since 1985. I never found a way to keep my hands warm. I took 2-3 pairs of gloves and rotated between wearing them and the inside of my bibs.

Attachments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
This weekend, we will be adding fuel stabilizer to everything that will be setting for the next few months and preparing to make the shift to winter.

Will also be getting the chainsaws out and getting them all fired up and ready to go. Once we stop mowing, then we will be switching back to cleaning up more at the farm and the chainsaws will be getting a workout.

Finally, before the end of the month, will be getting the blankets, emergency tire chains, etc. put into the vehicles and have them ready to go.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Turned off lawn sprinklers, blew lines out with compressed air, removed sprinkler heads that would get hit by snowblower. Drained lawn mower, still splitting wood. Chainsaw stays ready year-round. Still got a project going that requires bucket/FEL, so front mount LX2963 Snowblower stays off for a while. Checked the Ford Exploder (snow studs stay mounted on that one) and ensured all the fluids and battery are good. Yeah, I think we're good.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
View attachment 66712

View attachment 66713

Three tons of pellets in…have another half ton left from last season. Will get another ton in October.

Tore pellet stove apart for preventive maintenance. Replaced the door glass after 15 years and about 80 tons. Old glass was getting pitted on the interior.

Putting it back together today.
I have a customer that sells wood pellets.

Tip: Softwood pellets (by the pound) have more btu's (10-20%) in them than hardwood pellets, they produce less ash and will require less maintenance. Fact Fact Fact.

He gets a lot of fancy buyers in the store that want "nothing but the best" and INSIST on hardwood. He laughs about it all the time.

By the pound Henro, not volume.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a customer that sells wood pellets.

Tip: Softwood pellets (by the pound) have more btu's (10-20%) in them than hardwood pellets, they produce less ash and will require less maintenance. Fact Fact Fact.

He gets a lot of fancy buyers in the store that want "nothing but the best" and INSIST on hardwood. He laughs about it all the time.

By the pound Henro, not volume.
Yep - - my stove will burn about anything, and I've burned many types over the years. Had both HW and SW cause some clinkers and more ash, depending on brand.

A good part of this part of NY and No. PA is predominately HW, and there are a couple/few pellet mills in the area. No. NY and up your way is more SW.

Around here, it’s typically HW or HW Blend.

I've burned these from TSC last few years...only stick w/ them as they've been okay. Not great, not bad, and handy to get. Seem to be from same manufacturer, but not sure.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is that a XXV/ I had one in a place we sold last year, nice stove.
Love my Harman P-68. Trouble-free.
Holy smokes - - - the old XXV is fighting me this year. Won't run, and I've always had good luck fixing it as needed.

At first, controls acted a little funky. Ignitor would get hot and pellets would smoke, but it wouldn't take off. No error "blinks" from circuit board. Was thinking I missed sealing the new door glass, but no error code to indicate same.

Then ignitor went cold after a few attempts.

Changed ignitor, no go. Controls still acted odd, so changed circuit board. Then got a 3 "blink" error, meaning Exhaust Sensing Probe (ESP) not detected. At least I got an error code, so step in the right direction...maybe...

Working on a new ESP now.

The Ignitor, Board, and ESP are all old, and had replacement parts on the shelf.

Now I feel like I'm just throwing parts at it, and it's not a good feeling....

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Few more weeks and I will be digging out the long work pants. Also gotta find my winter sandals 😂

• Haha
D

Deleted member 47704

Only good thing about winter is no skeeters