Are you ready for Winter?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Yep, propane contract o file!
Just did my prebuy for the winter this week. Have 300 gal from last years purchase to work through

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I need some advise on snow removal. I live in Va and we don’t get a lot of snow. And I’m new to the tractor world. I’ve got a box blade and it worked fine on the little snow we had last year. I’ve been thinking of getting a rear blade. And would like some advise on this from people with more tractor experience than me. Thanks in advance
We don’t get a lot of snow northwest of Cols OH but last year was the exception. Rear blade worked great for the first couple storms but I quickly built up piles on either side of the driveway. I resorted to using the FEL in float and pushing as far as I could before scooping it back away from the drive. To clean I run the rear blade to scrape the spoils and grab them with the loader. By the time the last storm his us I had snow 3’ deep on either side of the drive and when it hit with another 15”, it was bucket only with drifts over 4’. Took me around 6 hrs to clear 1600’ of drive. Don’t forget after the thaw if you have a gravel drive you will be spending time getting rock out of the grass and back on the drive

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm ready in terms of tractor stuff but not firewood. I need to get four trees cut up and split but will put that off to mid September.

I have a front hydraulic snow blade that works very well and a rear blade if needed. I also have front chains that I most likely won't use this winter and a cabbed tractor arriving soon. I have a diesel generator but need to install the switching panel and exterior outlet to tie it into the house if/when needed.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I'd say 30-45 minutes would have me ready for winter. Swap the buck for the snow pusher and put the blower on the three point hitch. Once that's on I will install the hydraulic chute deflector.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I can remember reading a comment when asked if they were going to plow the streets of Bridgeport CT. Jasper McLevy said “God put the snow there, let Him take it away,” The original comment was made by the Director of Public Works Peter P. ‘Napoleon’ Brewster “Let the Guy who put the snow there take it away,”
Nice town.

D

Deleted member 47704

I'm ready, got the tractor. 👍
Fire wood was split and stacked in April.
Oil tank is full.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
2 tons of Wood Pellets on the back deck, Propane contract done and new tires on the main snow remover, Can-Am Defender UTV.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Not even close to being ready for winter. Have been working some firewood lately. Need to get more done. Getting time to get the harvest equipment ready. Hope its at least Christmas before winter ready shows up here. We had a lot of snow and cold after the first of the year last winter. MX-6000 will be in the shed for winter and the S-750 Bobcat will be pushing snow when the time comes. Did some repairs on it last week changed a boom hose and rebuild a boom lift cylinder. Normally a switch of the bucket to the snow bucket and some power service in the fuel and it ready to push snow.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
The winter in the southern hemisphere is exceptionally bad this year. Solar maximum ramp up years tend to have crazy winters.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The winter in the southern hemisphere is exceptionally bad this year. Solar maximum ramp up years tend to have crazy winters.
Crazy talk! We all know it is due to man made global warming
Lol

Reactions: 2 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Winter.... what's that? Oh you mean bearable, pleasant whether in Alabama. ;)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well, even with 90 degree temps and high humidity, I realized after seeing the thread title multiple time, that I am NOT ready for winter!

I like hot better than cold...But do appreciate living in a place with four seasons too!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
View attachment 64100
My house is always ready for winter…

well sort of, firewood is coming when I get back from sea, getting the generator tuned up soon. Need to pick up some edge tamers for the bucket. Otherwise good to go.
“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I guess I have just been through too many of them to feel the need to "get ready" for the next one.

Reactions: 5 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm ready now. The plow I ordered in the spring finally came in. This will now be my primary snow weapon, and just use the B2620 when I need the loader or snow blower to move banks.
I got the three skid shoes with it too, just never put them on yet.
20210826_190451 (Large).jpg

Reactions: 4 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Maybe in Australia.

In NZ we've had the mildest winter in years. We've kept waterskiing through the whole thing. To be fair, we're in lockdown now and not allowed out in the boat.....don't start me on that, and we're only going middle of the day on a sunny day, and we got new custom fit wetsuits this year that are super warm. But, waterskiing.

Not really global warming as such - Australia got the cold and the snow this year due to some warm water in some ocean somewhere, and we got the flip side of it with less snow/rain and less cold. Every time the ski fields got snow it would warm up and rain on it.

Also reasonably dry - tanks are still full, but ground isn't waterlogged. Spring growth has started already.

IMG_4238.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg
IMG_4473.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Nope. Well not a completely true statement. I haven't switched the vehicles over. I have a container in each vehicle, a summer one and a winter one which gets switched in and out. I will make the switch in October. Winter container has blankets, extra gloves, hats, a spare jacket, ice scraper, de-icer, heating packs, emergency tire chains, etc.

Each vehicle has its own container. Thankfully over the years we have never had to use it for ourselves, but have helped out others that we have come across stranded on the side of the road.