Are you ready for Winter?

IanB

Equipment
B2650, RC72-30B mower, LA534 FEL, B2781A-63 snowblower
Aug 31, 2021
Manitoba
I highly recommend a rear blade to go with the front mounted snowblower. It will be a snow moving machine.
My box blade does a fantastic job with snow and ice too, not as wide as a blade, but can handle a lot more volume and rough surfaces. I guess the advantage of a blade over box is fine control and sweeping action. I guess it depends on what the blade is used for the rest of the year. My needs are for the BB. A rear blade for me would be almost useless.
I'm thinking one or the other would be more useful to me than the ballast box that came with the tractor...maybe I'll have to chat with the dealer when it's in getting the new snowblower installed next week.

Also, thanks to @bird dogger's winter front, I'm another step closer to ready!

Attachments

Last edited:

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
My box blade does a fantastic job with snow and ice too, not as wide as a blade, but can handle a lot more volume and rough surfaces. I guess the advantage of a blade over box is fine control and sweeping action. I guess it depends on what the blade is used for the rest of the year. My needs are for the BB. A rear blade for me would be almost useless.
It is the ability to angle the blade that makes it so handy

Reactions: 1 user

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Snagged an Allied 600 60" Snowblower for $600 in near Reno.

Bearings, U-Joints, bevel gears all tight...sprocket, chain & idler a little rust, but no wear. PTO U-joints took grease...replaced shear-bolt...drive train rolls smooth. Bought UHMW liner material for chute from McMaster-Carr...overall needs a little Krylon paint-job...

Now, if I only can get the tractor...

At least I'm half-ready for Winter!

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Nah, Not ready yet.

I need to weld up, cobble together a trailer ball tow / Kubota suitcase weight holder, 3 point
rig a ma roll. (Open to ideas, those 55# Kubota weights are "difficult" to hang out back)

I ran into town Friday afternoon to buy a couple 3 foot lengths of 1/2 X 2 steel, but the old guy there closes at 2 on Fridays; ;-) Missed him by 15 minutes.

Oh well, no snow yet, and besides, first snow get's bladed off with the garden tractor, not the blower.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have officially decided that winter is coming. The forecast is for frost the next couple of nights. I just blew out all my sillcocks (my air compressor is piped into the line). Tomorrow, to my wife's horror, I am going to mount the snowblower I picked up on Craigslist a couple of months ago.
It's a 5' Blizzard with manual chute control. I toyed with the idea up converting it to hydraulic but that's a low priority that will have to wait.

I really need to grease it and check it over - especially the pto shaft length. It looks in great shape and everything turns smoothly. I will feel a lot more comfortable watching it operate on the tractor before it snows here.

The day we got it home and off my son's pickup
20210908_152852_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have officially decided that winter is coming. The forecast is for frost the next couple of nights. I just blew out all my sillcocks (my air compressor is piped into the line). Tomorrow, to my wife's horror, I am going to mount the snowblower I picked up on Craigslist a couple of months ago.
It's a 5' Blizzard with manual chute control. I toyed with the idea up converting it to hydraulic but that's a low priority that will have to wait.

I really need to grease it and check it over - especially the pto shaft length. It looks in great shape and everything turns smoothly. I will feel a lot more comfortable watching it operate on the tractor before it snows here.

The day we got it home and off my son's pickup
View attachment 69010
Well that's nice, looks unused. Good luck with it. You may want to think about an electric rotator.