Are you ready for Winter?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I bought a rear blade for a backup to my Polaris Ranger that usually does the plowing. I’m starting to think about maybe adding something to the front as well. I have ladder chains for the front and rear for the L2501.

I’m seriously considering a UMHW cutting surface for the rear blade, but I only have a bit of asphalt. Most of what I normally plow is gravel. I’m also thinking about a canopy, but wonder if it’s worth it to block snow as I’m plowing. Finally, I’m wondering if I also should add a front blade.

What changes are you thinking about for Winter? Yeah, I know this is early, but with the time required to get any implements or attachments it is probably a good idea to be thinking now.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I don't have a blade on my tractor, but I do have the DR ProMax34 with a 42" grader blade attachment. We had over 20" of snow on the ground from various storms last winter. I have a 450' driveway, width varies from 12' to 50'. I can clean off the driveway in about 20 minutes. Zero turn capability helps as well.
My other attachments are a 34" brush cutter and a 42" finish mower.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought a rear blade for a backup to my Polaris Ranger that usually does the plowing. I’m starting to think about maybe adding something to the front as well. I have ladder chains for the front and rear for the L2501.

I’m seriously considering a UMHW cutting surface for the rear blade, but I only have a bit of asphalt. Most of what I normally plow is gravel. I’m also thinking about a canopy, but wonder if it’s worth it to block snow as I’m plowing. Finally, I’m wondering if I also should add a front blade.

What changes are you thinking about for Winter? Yeah, I know this is early, but with the time required to get any implements or attachments it is probably a good idea to be thinking now.
Jim, you on the PRC forum?

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Wouldn't recommend it myself
20160101_210401.jpg

FEL float doesn't work right, a snow pusher box may be better.
The plow for your Polaris Ranger is hinged, the FEL plow using the FEL for a hinge is junk unless you never let it touch the ground.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I'm ready for winter. We'll change the summer bedspread to the winter comforter sometime in November.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I'm always thinking about winter.
I like winter.
Sure,heating season sucks ,either buying propane or nat gas or putting up firewood.
Snow removal becomes a priority!
Get what you need!
But at least the undesireable people are gone!
Although the new work from home thing may negate this.
Good Luck!

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
Actually started cutting firewood yesterday at 6:30 AM, trying to beat the heat and humidity, quit about 11.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I gave up pushing snow years ago,made my own SSQA selfpowered snowblower to toss the white stuff, far, far away.
it'd be nice to have a cab and heat..hopefully I have at least 3-4 months to figure that out !

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I gave up pushing snow years ago,made my own SSQA selfpowered snowblower to toss the white stuff, far, far away.
it'd be nice to have a cab and heat..hopefully I have at least 3-4 months to figure that out !
Jay I would love to see some pics of that!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

I have about 1/2 mile gravel to clear with a decent hill for about 300 ft of it. My setup last year was the X1100C with a Vplow and chains. I have lots of room to push the snow. I also have the tractor with a rear blade if needed. This year I am going to stick with the same setup, but I have been thinking about a blower on the RTV. Just not sure how it will power it at 8600ft up that hill.

Chuck Woolery

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601
Jun 4, 2021
Wisconsin
Once you have a cab for any snow removal equipment you'll never want to go open station. I definitely recommend getting one even with plowing.

I plow my 850 foot driveway with a 825e Gator with extra weight in the back and a 6 foot plow. I made a cab for it cause I couldn't bring myself to spend Deere money on one. Driveway started as gravel and is now pavement and I can get the whole thing done in 45 minutes with about 25 of that spent up top by the garage getting the pad cleaned off. I was thinking about getting a snowblower, but I'm afraid it'll actually slow me down. Haven't tried the Kubota yet because I just picked it up this year, but think it'll get used to move the piles around as the Gator does it darn quick.

You should be ordering snow toys in May!
Try end of season last year, I snow checked a new Polaris right away and I think they ran out of snowchecks before the deadline. Still hoping it shows up because there were people last year that had to wait until January to get theirs from the previous year. Off road motorsports is booming big and the dealer lots have less inventory on them than car lots.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Skis were tuned and waxed before putting them up for the season back in April, so yeah, I'm ready for winter.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have a Polaris Sportsman 850. It’s got power but lacks weight to push a blade. I’m thinking it would just sit and spin. Lots of snow last year and the B3200 FEL and back blade did a good job. Need to pick up driveway markers to make sure we don’t get snow this year

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I can remember reading a comment when asked if they were going to plow the streets of Bridgeport CT. Jasper McLevy said “God put the snow there, let Him take it away,” The original comment was made by the Director of Public Works Peter P. ‘Napoleon’ Brewster “Let the Guy who put the snow there take it away,”

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
7FF5FA88-2683-435E-8478-CDA86523C9C5.jpeg

My house is always ready for winter…

well sort of, firewood is coming when I get back from sea, getting the generator tuned up soon. Need to pick up some edge tamers for the bucket. Otherwise good to go.

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I need some advise on snow removal. I live in Va and we don’t get a lot of snow. And I’m new to the tractor world. I’ve got a box blade and it worked fine on the little snow we had last year. I’ve been thinking of getting a rear blade. And would like some advise on this from people with more tractor experience than me. Thanks in advance

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes. ready for winter. Means less mowing and back to cleaning and restoring/reclaiming more of the field back.