Am I picky or is this within "spec"? STB1072 plow

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, my eyes ain't great looking at black on black but....
last picture,post #35, it that raw steel and RUST I see in the far channel ? The 'c-channel' that connects the
pivot point to the SSQA plate ?

If so, powder paint guy on assembly line needs to come out and FIX it !

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Do you have R14 tires on it? I saw something on youtube where a guy had some similar issues,, it turned out that the R14 tires from the factory are different sizes, marked the same but the out side rolling circumference was different,, just a thought,,, oh and yeah check the air

Fly5guy

Equipment
LX2610 Cab, R14's filled, LA535, SGC0660, PFL1242, RCR1860, LR1672, STB1072
Apr 14, 2022
OK, my eyes ain't great looking at black on black but....
last picture,post #35, it that raw steel and RUST I see in the far channel ? The 'c-channel' that connects the
pivot point to the SSQA plate ?

If so, powder paint guy on assembly line needs to come out and FIX it !
Easy to say I am not impressed with this product so far. All my other Land Pride stuff is still in great shape after 3 years with very little rust anywhere. I did notice the rust but didn't pay attention to if it was even powder coated or not. I'll have to look today.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Hello Fly5Guy,

I by no means am as knowledgeable as the many members on this forum and many of those that have already replied, but not discounting what they have suggested and it appears that you have utilized their suggestions, IMHO you are correct that it is screwed up and was manufactured that way. Yes as one of the others stated a P-Poor job.

The others have given all the correct answers but I think this problem is perfectly suited for your skill set. You said that you are a carpenter, so pretty good with eyeballing some thing to be out of square, out of plum, out of level. And you are using tools to help substantiate that claim. I used to work with a guy who stated that the human eye is very accurate at evaluating the three things I mentioned above, and with your experience you're probably very good at it.

It took me a little time to see it but using your second picture up against the garage door I can clearly see that the black QA plate is not welded correctly to the plow blade. Looks like an example of poor quality control.

You have already taken the others suggestions and done some more testing on your own, so maybe find a flat piece of cardboard from a refrigerator box and lay the blade face down and then using your skill set with level, carpenter square or as straight a piece of wood you can find and draw this on the cardboard to help make visualizing this easier. Then use the square to to demonstrate how out of square it is. I like the idea of trying it on a tractor in the showroom, in front of them, hoping that theirs was assembled good.

Maybe take a couple other pictures and then go back to the dealer, before it gets scratched and or shows usage, with the pictures and your receipt and politely get your point across and hopefully leave with a full refund or a properly made implement that you thought you bought the first time. But not this one.

I agree it is not correct and again your skill set and eye will hopefully convince them.

Good luck, sorry this was so long, and i will hold my breath beginning now to hear of the results. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ok i'm gonna pass out now. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'm pretty confident in the fact it is the plate / plow, always was, as for me, it is very easy to see in person. Pictures are difficult though and I understand that. I should not have posted the picture I did, didn't realize it was going to be such a difficult issue to express. I understand there are other variables and people are just helping to cover all the potential issues. I was mostly just wondering if others thought I was being unreasonable. I have no doubts that if anyone saw it in person they would see it is how it was put together.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Looking at the difference in how the qa plate planes out with the blade, not how it lines up with the garage door. This pic may help to explain. See the pink tape sticking above the plow on the right while the left is "flush". The pink tape is on the qa mount corners.
From the photo, it appears the QA receiver on the right side of the plow is welded on higher than the one on the left. If so, then that's your problem.

Reactions: 1 users

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Took the plow off the tractor so thats no longer a variable. In the picture the pink bar is a straight piece of unistrut sitting on the QA mount. You can see the difference/ angle vs the top of the plow blade.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Yeesh ,even I can SEE something is really,really WRONG !

be nice to post couple of pix of the 'frame' (behind plow, front of SSQA plate )

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Maybe this picture will show what I am seeing. You can see the qa plate against the white background. Left side is just above. Right side is much higher. So the qa plate and the blade are not on the the same plane.
To me it is very obvious looking at the photo that the right ssqa plate is not welded square to the blade - the ssqa plate is turned to the left causing the top left to be lower than the top right. It even appears that the top left of the right ssqa plate is higher than either corner of the left ssqa plate.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What brand is the plow? As for being too picky, if you paid for a quality product, you should get a quality product. There is no way that I would accept a mediocre-quality product just to save a couple of dollars. The reason I asked about the brand, is because every Kubota branded plow that I have seen is painted Orange. I am not sure as to the color of the Land Pride plows, but I do know that their quick hitches come in both black and orange.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
From the OP description is is a Landpride blade and LP catalog does show them to be black.

A few observations. From the descriptions and posts I have read they make it seems as if the SSQA plate is welded to the snow plow blade. It is a trip blade mounted with a pivot pin onto a A-frame that is part of the SSQA weldment correct?

How much lateral movement is in the pivot pin, another words how closely fit is the pivot pin that would allow the ends of the snow plow bade to rock up and down relative to the SSQA plate? I also notice the one picture looks as if you have the trip springs removed and they are independently adjustable for tension. Had you tried to adjust them to see if it corrected the problem?

Correction, I see now the trip springs are still in place. What bolts are missing in this picture?

Image 1.jpg

Last edited:

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
What brand is the plow? As for being too picky, if you paid for a quality product, you should get a quality product. There is no way that I would accept a mediocre-quality product just to save a couple of dollars. The reason I asked about the brand, is because every Kubota branded plow that I have seen is painted Orange. I am not sure as to the color of the Land Pride plows, but I do know that their quick hitches come in both black and orange.
It is a Land pride STB1072

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
From the OP description is is a Landpride blade and LP catalog does show them to be black.

A few observations. From the descriptions and posts I have read they make it seems as if the SSQA plate is welded to the snow plow blade. It is a trip blade mounted with a pivot pin onto a A-frame that is part of the SSQA weldment correct?

How much lateral movement is in the pivot pin, another words how closely fit is the pivot pin that would allow the ends of the snow plow bade to rock up and down relative to the SSQA plate? I also notice the one picture looks as if you have the trip springs removed and they are independently adjustable for tension. Had you tried to adjust them to see if it corrected the problem?

Correction, I see now the trip springs are still in place. What bolts are missing in the one picture?
There is very little up and down play if the plow is mounted to the tractor and in the air. I also looked for washers or something they installed incorrectly from one side to the other to make up the difference but there doesn't appear to be anything like that. The SSQA plate is welded to the A frame which then has a "pin" connected to the plow mount. This is the pivot point. The plow then has the trip mount welded to it. Which I did check those holes were drilled in the same spot and they seem pretty close. I'm not gonna take it apart to measure exact though. I have not tried adjusted the trip springs as everything in that area seems to line up pretty well. I am also hesitant to mess with it too much before I hear back from the dealer. I bought my tractor from them and had an issue with my 3rd function and they fixed it with no issues. I'm hoping they offer to deliver a new one so I don't have to take the ~3hr round trip drive again. What's that saying "wish in one hand".....

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022

Correction, I see now the trip springs are still in place. What bolts are missing in this picture?

View attachment 116452
I moved the bolts from the locked position to the trip position. So those bolts migrate back and forth. They are currently doing nothing and just "stored" there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
from the parts manual It looks like the 'blue circled' holes ARE the real mounting locations for plow to hitch and pivot assy.
also curious as to WHAT the right bolt/nut is doing !!!

OK makes sense, you type a lot faster than me.

With the bolts in the locked location, trip springs to nothing.
gets even more curious.....

You don't have one of the skid shoes higher than the other ??

Maybe remove the blade from the H+P assy. Measure the 'pivot'/ 'mounting ' holes. From the maunal they look the same....... With blade off you can also measure a few other points.

I'd help but I've lost my YELLOW tape measure in the garage,arrrrrrgh..

Last edited:

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Yeesh ,even I can SEE something is really,really WRONG !

be nice to post couple of pix of the 'frame' (behind plow, front of SSQA plate )
Pink bar is again on the SsQa mount. You can also see the right side of the SSQA mount is tweaked counterclockwise a bit. Which would also add to the issue. The measurement between the two SSQA plates is almost a 1/4" different top to bottom.

Attachments

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
from the parts manual It looks like the 'blue circled' holes ARE the real mounting locations for plow to hitch and pivot assy.
also curious as to WHAT the right bolt/nut is doing !!!

OK makes sense, you type a lot faster than me.

With the bolts in the locked location, trip springs to nothing.
gets even more curious.....

You don't have one of the skid shoes higher than the other ??
This is from the manual I got with the plow.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Call the dealer the mounts are welded to the blade crooked, or something is seriously bent.
Really doesn't matter what's really wrong, it's a bad build, let them deal with it.

Reactions: 2 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I agree with wolfman. Call the dealer. If it’s close take it in for them to see. Looks off to me and not much you can do from what I’ve read in this post.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I 3rd the motion .
be nice to take your tractor there and SSQA another plow and SEE what's different !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Picked up my new Stb1072 plow today. Noticed right away after getting it hooked up it looks crooked from the cab. Parked in garage with right side touching the concrete and the left side is 1 1/2" off the ground. Quick attach plate and loader arms look very straight to the brush guard. I'm pretty sure it is not my loader arms. Blade does not sit straight to the quick attach plate. Easy to see sitting in the tractor. This is all while centered / not angled. I feel like for what this cost it shouldn't be build 1 1/2" out of square. Or am it expecting too much. Haven't contacted dealer yet. Wondering if this is just a "it is what it is" thing. What are your thoughts?
Definitely take it back and get a replacement. I have the hydraulic STB1596 that has been great for three years, but it has side float in the order of +/- 5 degrees so it tends to sit level to the ground.