Adding a horn

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I Want to add a horn to a BX23. Go with a battery operated type bike horn or hardwire one? Looking for recommendations/suggestions.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you go with a hardwired twelve volt horn you'll never worry about a dead horn battery. You could use either a car or motorcycle horn - or even an air horn with an integrated compressor.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Timely.

I had a (small) need of a horn the other day trying to get the attn of a family member last week to check out my newly installed lights...and they were in the house....at night....curtains drawn.

What I ended up doing was driving right up to the side of the house and revving the wee engine. That and the ROP lights "shot" right through the curtains and interrupted their TV show.

A horn would've been a lot easier-LOL

I have a take-off from my Harley which should work. Not much current to worry about, so I'll just use a tiny pushbutton somewhere. I don't envision needing it more than once/year, so nearly anywhere I mount it (the button) to ought to work. I expect anywhere under the hood, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operation ought to work as well.

Incidentally, I replaced the Harley's horn with one from Princess Auto (Harbour freight-like) and when I did actual decibel measurements, the cheapie $19 Princess Auto horn was a few dB louder !

D

Deleted member 47704

I've been contemplating adding a horn, not sure if I want a Jeep beep beep horn or a klaxon (oogah)
Wolo (370) Beep Beep Horn

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have been thinking of adding a siren to the tractor and starting to patrol the driveway for jaywalking deer.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
D

Deleted member 47704

Ya gotta put up one of these signs.

f7d7c21b-346b-4372-adb9-f73e111d9a52_1.ad7d51c799d4979a14d3a20f90a62640.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I want to add a genuine Japanese sounding horn from a 2003 Honda Odyssey.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may be able to get the horn and button for your tractor from the dealer. There may be mounting spot and wiring connections already on the tractor.

There was on my old L185 and it works great and does have the Japanese horn sound.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Of all the bell and whistle extras the Kubota has that the little Ford it supplanted doesn’t (loader, third function, rear remotes, top/tail, 20+ more horses, 4WD, power steering, brakes that actually stop the tractor, etc.) the one thing it does NOT have is the Klaxon horn. If the Ford ever leaves our place, the Klaxon horn is going somewhere on the Kubota even if I have to mount it on the ROPS. It’s one of the few things on the Ford that still works flawlessly.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got the loudest, smallest horn I could find on Ebay and mounted under the air filter on my L4240 (which is under the hood) with a push button switch. It's really handy to get someone's attention.

D

Deleted member 47704

Of all the bell and whistle extras the Kubota has that the little Ford it supplanted doesn’t (loader, third function, rear remotes, top/tail, 20+ more horses, 4WD, power steering, brakes that actually stop the tractor, etc.) the one thing it does NOT have is the Klaxon horn. If the Ford ever leaves our place, the Klaxon horn is going somewhere on the Kubota even if I have to mount it on the ROPS. It’s one of the few things on the Ford that still works flawlessly.
I going to put a klaxon my 8N and the Jeep horn on the Kubota

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I went to my class 8 truck dealer because I had to replace the underhood electric horn on my Western Star and I got two Grote electric horns and put one on my Kubota. Loud and only $20.00

I found a push button in my pile of random junk and used it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I sure hope that the Q is securely fastened to the roof with a 3/16" or greater bacu up steel plate to hold it from tearing the roof apart. Also, you better have some great hearing protection if you wind it up. I can clearly remember the cold winter night when we were responding to a collision on the Interstate and had the Q fully wound up to clear traffic. Over the radio, the dispatcher called out that whoever was using the Q to shut it down. He could hear it 3 miles away at police headquarters! The only thing that is louder than a Q is a B & M Super Chief. It also draws less current, and the rotor is so well balanced, that they require a brake on the siren rotor when it isn't in use since the wind entering it from the front will get the rotor moving so fast, that the siren will wail at the highway speed.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I sure hope that the Q is securely fastened to the roof with a 3/16" or greater bacu up steel plate to hold it from tearing the roof apart. Also, you better have some great hearing protection if you wind it up. I can clearly remember the cold winter night when we were responding to a collision on the Interstate and had the Q fully wound up to clear traffic. Over the radio, the dispatcher called out that whoever was using the Q to shut it down. He could hear it 3 miles away at police headquarters! The only thing that is louder than a Q is a B & M Super Chief. It also draws less current, and the rotor is so well balanced, that they require a brake on the siren rotor when it isn't in use since the wind entering it from the front will get the rotor moving so fast, that the siren will wail at the highway speed.
Dusty, I couldn't resist throwing that picture in after seeing your post above. Your post brought back memories of my B2650 cab build and I had set those items on the roof for laughs:
Kubota B2650 Cab Fabrication | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota See post #20 (too much Bling?)

I had/have collected and restored some sirens and seen the Q sitting in my cabinet and thought ?????
I have some hand crank, single tone, double tone, klaxon (submarine and hand push Navy). My biggest is a Federal Model 5AT (double tone) civil defense siren. But I need to find a digital phase converter big enough to handle the 7hp 3phase motor. and without breaking the bank. LOL! I'd love to spool it up just once to hear them again. We had one in town where I grew up. found this one in a shed in Wisconsin. Was thinking I could somewhat conceal it by mounting it on top of a small grain bin (just for storage now) and disguise it as the air vent. Which technically it would be. :ROFLMAO: If/when I finally get to crank it up the neighbors response will only be, "Yup, that Dave's at it again!"

I really missed the boat, years ago, on a B&M Super Chief! Would love to have one of those. At least we can listen to them on youtube.

Do you collect sirens?

David

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The cabbed LXs have horn buttons where the hazard lights are on the ROP version. Ive wondered if the ROPs machines have the wiring in place for the horn and just need the horn and switch....

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
If you go with a hardwired twelve volt horn you'll never worry about a dead horn battery.
If you hardwire it, you'll never worry about a dead horn battery. However, if you have a standalone horn with battery, you'll never have to worry about a dead tractor battery.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you hardwire it, you'll never worry about a dead horn battery. However, if you have a standalone horn with battery, you'll never have to worry about a dead tractor battery.
How would hardwiring a horn in cause a dead battery if done properly?