A little moral dilemma

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah, I know no one can answer this but some input would be nice.
Simply I want a new tractor. Is my little tractor working, yep, am I having problems with it , nope, does it do everything I ask of it, yep pretty much everything, is it paid for, yep a long time ago, do I need a new tractor,, not really, would I like a new one with a goodie or 2,, yep, do I need a new one with stuff this stuff, not really. But every time I go past the dealer, they sit along side the road and taunt me with that,,,, you know you want me don't you big boy.
So what say you?

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Skeets, you can’t take it with you so if you have the means, then treat yourself to a new tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Simply I want a new tractor. Is my little tractor working, yep, am I having problems with it , nope, does it do everything I ask of it, yep pretty much everything, is it paid for, yep a long time ago, do I need a new tractor,, not really, would I like a new one with a goodie or 2,, yep, do I need a new one with stuff this stuff, not really. But every time I go past the dealer, they sit along side the road and taunt me with that,,,, you know you want me don't you big boy.
So what say you?
Mine will be for sale soon probably but then I'll be in the same boat looking for something smaller. Either way good luck my friend, can't wait to see what you decide on.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The only reason you have what you have is because of discipline. Don't ask someone else if something you do is OK, do what you know is right for you. Your inner self knows the answer, not an internet jocky!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
So what say you?
Coming here to ask that is like asking the town drunk if you should have another drink.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So what say you?
If the goodies include stuff like a cab and snow plow that will make it possible to look forward to winter, or at least survive it easier, I say go for it. Life is too short to fight it out with the weather.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
So what say you?
Just stay off that stretch of Rt. 40 and the itch will subside.

• Dislike

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If it causes no significant stress in your life or bad feelings with anyone else in your household then probably yes do it.

Now I personally won’t do what you are considering since I am way frugal and don’t use the old tractor enough to warrant anything newer and hate debt and spending cash so try to avoid both as much as possible.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah thats what I thought guys. You are all right of course, easy of operation, bright and shiny. And being frugal cause I mean really how much more time do I have left, and yeah I cant take it with me. And no one can make the choice for me, maybe wait till after November and see what happens,, I am so confused :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Skeets, you can’t take it with you so if you have the means, then treat yourself to a new tractor.
I agree with BAP 100% ..... I kicked my ass when I bought my first Kubota.....
FOR NOT getting it 10 years before - hell skeets, Life is full of sadness and happiness - so WHY not enjoy the feeling of something you wish before the time is too late.
AS long as you can wing it, BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!! WHATCHA looking at btw???

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Yeah thats what I thought guys. You are all right of course, easy of operation, bright and shiny. And being frugal cause I mean really how much more time do I have left, and yeah I cant take it with me. And no one can make the choice for me, maybe wait till after November and see what happens,, I am so confused :)
If you have the money go for it. However there is a catch. You must go to 2 different dealers and try 4 different tractors. Then you must give a detailed report on which one you like and why.

After the reports are in, then we will decide which tractor and options are best for you. I think this would make for a good late fall early winter project.

Do not forget to tell the damn salesman he needs to buy you lunch as you hunt for a new machine.

I am thinking cab with a stereo so that you listen to your tunes as you work. #1 option.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I know very little about you but, this type of decision is made so much more often with vehicles. There seems people expect to be getting new or newer or such with regular frequency. Especially compared to tractors. Last year I called farming quits, not an easy call. Regardless the results or problems I really enjoyed it. I had tractors and equipment to decide what stays and what goes. Well there was also what is to be bought. Ended up getting the most expensive tractor I have ever bought. Added in couple of attachments for my to do list as retired and amazingly am not missing farming. Well, some. But a lot of my to dos are still for the benefit of our farm and my future generations.

If you able to wait till after the elections then you are not guilty of making a rash decision. We are waiting on some retirement decision till then for probably same reasons.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Are you suggesting prices might be better during rioting?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It would only be a moral dilemma if your kids needed food or clothing:)

Get the tractor!

Reactions: 2 users

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I think Len is on to something.

Buy a tractor. Save it's life. Hate to see them all burned to a crisp.

It's the least you can do. Do we need to start a GoFundMe?

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Like many others have said, go for it. If you leave it to your kids, they will blow it 100x faster than it took you to earn it. Besides, have you ever seen a BRINKS truck in anyones funeral procession ? Get exactly what you want, and then some. It,s your cash, don,t ever feel guilty spending it.

Reactions: 1 users