2005 BX23 with 100 hours, Loader and Backhoe, $12K, Is this a good deal? Stored indoors, clean

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
From images appears very clean, stored inside. Not abused and left out in the weather

Just curious what folks think about the price, I need a loader, a backhoe attachment would be very nice for planting trees, other small jobs around my yard.

Feedback? I need to check recent auction prices.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Very good price, if it's legitimate and as described.
Can you go look at it in person? There are so many scams out there these days, you should verify before proceeding.

Reactions: 3 users

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
Very good price, if it's legitimate and as described.
Can you go look at it in person? There are so many scams out there these days, you should verify before proceeding.
Yes, it is near by, and I can go take a look at it, just posted today. I assume just the backhoe attachment is worth $3k, and likely rare, so it's like getting the tractor and loader for $9k.
I checked auction results, not many , and I don't really know how much added value a loader is, but....It sure would be fun to have one.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, a BX23S is now 3X that, plus taxes, so IF it was near me, it'd already be in MY garage.
heck K wants $3K for JUST the bare loader frame ! see my 'mystery solved' post...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As mentioned - that backhoe and subframe NEW will cost 7.5K !!!

17 year old tractor with 100 hours?

IF all true - I'm like Jay - I would have bought that in a millisecond. IT would be one hellva "barn find" for sure.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
As mentioned - that backhoe and subframe NEW will cost 7.5K !!!

17 year old tractor with 100 hours?

IF all true - I'm like Jay - I would have bought that in a millisecond. IT would be one hellva "barn find" for sure.
It is possible.....
I bought a 13 year old TLB (private sale) with 251 hours.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Three years ago that would have been an overpriced tractor, but in today's market, it is reasonable. When I bought my 2019 BX23S in 2020, I sold my BX22 with a soft cab, mower deck, sweeper, and snowblower for $13500. Mechanically it was perfect, but it had weathered paint and 800 hours on the meter. Looking back I probably could have gotten more for the package, but I didn't. I made someone happy.

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
It is a private sale nearby, Owner is busy today, will able to see it tomorrow AM, they promised not to sell it until I get a chance to look at it, based on what I have seen available used, the loader + backhoe combo is rare, and usually demands more $. Assume the hour meter verifies, person selling it is daughter of original owner, has 2005 bill of sale, so it could be an excellent "barn find" we shall see, will update tomorrow

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good luck…wow, that seems like a basically new 18 year old tractor based on the description of hours. If it truly is a cherry better take trailer and check book…clean machine that averaged 5.5 hrs a year will not last long unless something wrong with it.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Yes, it is a good price. If I didn't have a hoe, I would be interested if you passed and close to me.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Unicorns do exist.
This sounds like it could be one of them.
I've got some 2007 Can Am's with only 500 miles on them.
My 2020 BX23S is low hours I think with only ~100.
Some folks buy toys and never use them.
I say go for it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
CAUTION!
This is BX23D NOT a BX23S

Way different tractor.
This was made way before the BX24. B25, B25D
It doesn't have any real glaring issues, it's just a lot less technologically advanced than the new BX23S.
The loader and BH on this model have much less capacity than the newer BX23S.
The BH will probably not have the provision for a thumb.
Other BH buckets are going to be next to impossible to acquire.
The loader is not a SSQA ready loader you are stuck with the BX style of Quick connect attachments which are expensive and very hard to find.
You would be much better off getting the SSQA adapter if available, or make one.

Now is it worth 12K?
With the hours that it has and if it's in the condition that you say it is it's close.

One thing to note: It's a 17 year old tractor, rubber parts are going to need to be checked along with all the maintenance stuff needs to be done, full fluids, filters, coolant, and plan on a new battery.
All of this is going to run $500 plus.

Reactions: 4 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe it'd be based off the BX2350. I had one of those, it's a fine tractor, although a lot of plastic body parts.

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
I visited the tractor at the appointed time, checked everything out, drove it around, used the front bucket, everything looked brand new, tractor was inside shed, the backhoe attachment was not attached, but it was also in perfect condition and stored indoors.

I offered full price and the facebook messenger person started negotiating saying they had a 12,300 offer, and that many many people had contacted her and expressed interest.

I said I was present willing to pay full listed price, and didn't want to join an "auction" for the tractor. She went inside to verify if the owner would accept my full price offer, came out said yes, ........but......... I went through my facebook messages, and there was one other person who contacted me before you did who is interested, and would it be ok if she contacted me at 4PM after he got off work and came to investigate the tractor.

I said I was frustrated and disappointed in the approach, and she just repeated that she "wanted to fair with everyone" and was overwhelmed by the number of people who contacted her about the setup.

I repeated that I doubt if I would hear from her, and was disappointed, and fortunately the owner came into view and asked what the problem was, and the face book helper explained.

She thought for about 30 seconds and said he is here he's offering full price, sell it.

So... after the @#&*@(@( circle.. I am the owner of this tractor loader, and backhoe combo.

The hours were 154, and I ran it long enough to see that the hour meter was indeed working.

To the person who said that all the rubber would need to be checked, I agree, but it is heat more then age that causes rubber to deteriorate in my experience, and I am quite handy and can read the manual and change the fluids for a lot less then $500.

I have a B2100 from the 90's that has all original radiator hoses and it runs like a top.

I also avoided any sales tax which in my state would have been $750 on the $12k purchase.

Thanks to those who provided feedback and encouraged me to buy it, I was wanting something a little larger, but as this had the combination of loader and backhoe I am happy with the quality and the price I paid.

Pretty sure I could bump the price $2k, and then give somebody a deal with only a $1500 mark up.

Will post pictures when I drag it home, they insisted on cash, and wouldn't accept a check, or any kind of down payment, the owner said thank you and she is glad the tractor is sold.

She then made sure I had her cell phone number, and said Monday to pay cash and pick up would be fine.

Based on my experience I doubt if another person will be able to offer more $ and steal it out from under me, and if that happens, that is life.

The owner shook my hand and looked me in the eye, and the property was setting up a huge yard sale to sell the deceased owners items.

There wasn't even a hint of "hillbilly" or "grifter" in the group of people who where there helping.

So I think I am good

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I visited the tractor at the appointed time, checked everything out, drove it around, used the front bucket, everything looked brand new, tractor was inside shed, the backhoe attachment was not attached, but it was also in perfect condition and stored indoors.

I offered full price and the facebook messenger person started negotiating saying they had a 12,300 offer, and that many many people had contacted her and expressed interest.

I said I was present willing to pay full listed price, and didn't want to join an "auction" for the tractor. She went inside to verify if the owner would accept my full price offer, came out said yes, ........but......... I went through my facebook messages, and there was one other person who contacted me before you did who is interested, and would it be ok if she contacted me at 4PM after he got off work and came to investigate the tractor.

I said I was frustrated and disappointed in the approach, and she just repeated that she "wanted to fair with everyone" and was overwhelmed by the number of people who contacted her about the setup.

I repeated that I doubt if I would hear from her, and was disappointed, and fortunately the owner came into view and asked what the problem was, and the face book helper explained.

She thought for about 30 seconds and said he is her,e he's offering full price, sell it.

So... after the @#&*@(@( circle.. I am the owner of this tractor loader, and backhoe combo.

The hours were 154, and I ran it long enough to see that the hour meter was indeed working.

To the person who said that all the rubber would need to be checked, I agree, but it is heat more then age that causes rubber to deteriorate in my experience, and I am quite handy and can read the manual and change the fluids for a lot less then $500.

I have a B2100 from the 90's that has all original radiator hoses and it runs like a top.

I also avoided any sales tax which in my state would have been $750 on the $12k purchase.

Thanks to those who provided feedback and encouraged me to buy it, I was wanting something a little larger, but as this had the combination of loader and backhoe I am happy with the quality and the price I paid.

Pretty sure I could bump the price $2k, and then give somebody a deal with only a $1500 mark up.

Will post pictures when I drag it home, they insisted on cash, and wouldn't accept a check, or any kind of down payment, the owner said thank you and she is glad the tractor is sold.

She then made sure I had her cell phone number, and said Monday to pay cash and pick up would be fine.

Based on my experience I doubt if another person will be able to offer more $ and steal it out from under me, and if that happens, that is life.

The owner shook my hand and looked me in the eye, and the property was setting up a huge yard sale to sell the deceased owners items.

There wasn't even a hint of "hillbilly" or "grifter" in the group of people who where there helping.

So I think I am good
Congratulations!
I think you made an excellent deal.

FWIW: I have a 1989 Ford 1920 FEL with all original rubber hoses.
The tires on my Ford 8N lasted 55 years.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

She thought for about 30 seconds and said he is her,e he's offering full price, sell it.

So I think I am good
Congrats. Get a bill of sale if you can. (Weird things happen in families with estates). Share some pics with the orange monster.

Reactions: 1 users

cpumechanic

Equipment
B2100
Apr 15, 2021
Eastern PA
One question for the experts here, the rear of this tractor has the quick attach setup for the rear backhoe, and no evidence of the class 1 3 point hitch adapters?

Assume this is an option the owner did not purchase?

Suggestions? (Thank you in advance)