1.6 miles to gas station - drive it there?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I road mine a 1.5miles all the time Winter-snowblowing Spring -cleanup, Summer- Brush cutting,Digging, Fall - getting ready for Snow season. This is the distance between properties. All we need is the Amish Triangle on the back and we are good to go.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I clear snow on over 1.6 miles of road... Follow others on insurance and roadable legalities, then go for it! ;)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
...................And I have a trailer hitch rack for my tahoe that I use because I hate carrying gas in the trunk. If you have a receiver hitch on your station wagon, you can get or make a little rack for cheap..................
That's what I do. A bud sold me one of those hitch carriers for cheap. Then at home I dump the 5 gallon jugs into a 55 gallon drum through a big funnel with a strainer. Biocide and anti-gel are added to the drum before the fuel is dumped in. The drum has a HF 12V pump and fueling is simple.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think the key question is the safety on the road. If any hills or curves that reduce visibility, I'd say no.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
With all the texting now, I wouldn't consider it . We had a guy run over mowing his property by the road and it was a rural oil top that gets lots of hay equipment usage.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
The speed limits are 35 mph.

Or is that a really dumb plan?
I live in the country, closest gas station is 4.5 miles away, 55 mph.
Sounds like suburbia. Are the locals, (Police Department), good with it?
Traffic lights, stop signs, road changes (turns)?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Drive it!! Flashers on, orange triangle on the back.

I was thrilled when our gas station startled carrying diesel, it’s proably a mile.

The only thing I worry about is the wear on my tires.

SmallChange

Equipment
B6200D
Jun 14, 2018
Port Deposit, MD
[...]

And I have a trailer hitch rack for my tahoe that I use because I hate carrying gas in the trunk. If you have a receiver hitch on your station wagon, you can get or make a little rack for cheap.

Good luck!
Saaaay, that's a REALLY good idea! I do have a hitch on my station wagon and a few times now I've thought there ought to be more useful things I could do with it. And yet, incredibly, I didn't think of this one!

I've never actually had a bad time with the safety cans inside my car. But I think it's only a matter of time before I try to avoid a squirrel (or worse) and wind up spilling a lot of diesel into the interior, making my car nauseating for all the rest of its days. I may do this!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That distance is nothing compared to what some of us have to drive going back and forth to the fields.

Just have your safety equipment working and act like you own the road. You do not have to get off on the side of the road to allow cars to pass, that's federal law. Only time that will come into play is if you can safely get completely off the road such as at a cross street or intersection. Shoulder of the road does not apply and is actually more dangerous than just staying in the road.

I say get out there and enjoy your tractor.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Small Change, here you go. https://www.ruralking.com/towtek-re...MI8YKppMq34QIVCLXACh1-sAmqEAQYASABEgKeRfD_BwE

You can get the at Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart and many other places.
Got mine at Harbor Freight with a sale coupon.
I have five 5 gallon cans that fit in it.
When I need fuel, put the carrier on my Jeep, load the cans, strap them down and go to the station. A local one carries off road.
Back at home unload the cans and remove the carrier.
I have a battery operated pump that goes in place of the can spout. Can sits on the front tire, hose goes into the tank, clips on the side and I push a button. It stops just like the fuel station pump.

This pump is a bit slow, but it beats the heavy alternative and the wife can do it if she has to!!

Here is a video of the pump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMfhoI1_jk